championship game replay and some thoughts | The Boneyard

championship game replay and some thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good day to watch the game again with all this rain. We all know S Habazz and what he brought to the table and all that he did for us and deserves much credit but so many guys stepped up and watching DD's demeanor how stoic and calm he is and saw a little more edge to G iffy who also is pretty stoic out there. It was so cool to see them grow up right before our eyes and we will miss them a lot. Both guys brought their lunch pails in the tournament. I really want to give them a shout out for all they did for us. Wish them the best. Loved the warrior yell from KO. The way he coached and handled himself was inspiring, true professional . I have to believe recruits and there parents were very impressed and I think he will have a super recruiting year coming up.

Reaction Score
The whole team was unbelievable really. Besides Bazz, DD, Giffey, RB great performance, Kromah,Nolan, Amida all stepped . And how can anybody not love KO the way he conducts himself .

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
And how can anybody not love KO the way he conducts himself .

In only his second year as a head coach, KO has already established himself as one of the best in the college game, if not the best. Quite amazing. We have witnessed, before our very eyes, an incredible seamless transition from Calhoun to Ollie.

Reaction Score
In only his second year as a head coach, KO has already established himself as one of the best in the college game, if not the best. Quite amazing. We have witnessed, before our very eyes, an incredible seamless transition from Calhoun to Ollie.

If brimah didnt get that rebound and/or the putback and/or the and 1, and we loss in first round ...would you think differently? Im glad we got through that game because in the games to follow he deffinately showcased his ability. Its just funny because some people who have said how great he is would of been the same people who said he under performed.

Reaction Score
If they had lost that game to St. Joe's, I would have been frustrated, but only because St. Joe's had a ridiculously out-of-character night shooting. That was probably the best game they played all season

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
If brimah didnt get that rebound and/or the putback and/or the and 1, and we loss in first round ...would you think differently? Im glad we got through that game because in the games to follow he deffinately showcased his ability. Its just funny because some people who have said how great he is would of been the same people who said he under performed.

You're right, without that rebound and put-back the season would have ended on a negative note. But I'm not one ever to dump on players or coaches. I think I would have said the same positive things about Ollie, although less enthusiastically so. He proved himself during the regular season and doubly so during the tournament.

Reaction Score

Yep. I have supported KO 100% since he arrived. However, in my mind, I needed him to make the S16 to have been fully satisfied with a lust for this year. I would not have been critical of a loss prior but would have been disappointed and may have hung myself with a belt in a closet for my assistant to find me. Too soon?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

It has been quite remarkable, shockingly fantastic, and a testament to how much a difference it can make to have the one right guy in the big spot. And give it up for Jim Calhoun to have picked the right guy. There have been a lot of other legends who have chosen poorly. How many of us at least some of the time dreaded the day that Jim Calhoun would hang it up? Despite the conference cesspool of delights, who would have dreamed it could possibly have gone so well?

Reaction Score
It would have put a sour taste in my mouth as our expectations were pretty high coming into the season

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I would have kept my faith in Ollie based on what he did the last 2 regular seasons, even with a first round exit but it would not feel this good

Thank God we didn't have to listen to the former Ollie critics for the entire off-season!

Reaction Score
Brimah's shot also saved Bazz's legacy (although there was still some time left for him to pull a rabbit out of the hat, especially if St Joes missed some foul shots). He had a pretty subpar game, and then dribbled off his leg with less than two minutes to play and missed the contested bunny that Brimah put back. He'd be out of the Mt. Rushmore discussion if we lose.

Once Bazz got the hiccup out of the way, he was pretty much the man during OT and then over the last five games (deferring to DD when needed). A bit over simplistic, but in some ways, Brimah is to Bazz as Ray is to LeBron.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yes. It is amazing the difference a missed rebound or free throw can make, To Ollie, Shabazz, Daniels would not have put that great streak together, to the team, to recruiting, to us.
But it did happen and I think our players'heart/will made it happen

Reaction Score
I was there in the uconn section and it was unreal!!!! To be honest I bought my ticket to go home Sunday ( I have toddler twins and a business .. No excuse). But ran to the hotel after the "Florida massacre" and re booked!!!
To stay to watch us win the championship was priceless...

My first final four and went with my brother and it was awesome!!!

The shot bazz made from basically the center circle changed the game and the fans and we went nuts in the husky section. No one there gave us a chance and it was incredible

Reaction Score
Yep. I have supported KO 100% since he arrived. However, in my mind, I needed him to make the S16 to have been fully satisfied with a lust for this year. I would not have been critical of a loss prior but would have been disappointed and may have hung myself with a belt in a closet for my assistant to find me. Too soon?

Quite the feeling to go from full satisfaction on to an Elite 8 victory over one of the trendy title favorite picks led by perhaps the most-well respected coach in the land who'd never had a senior class miss out on a Final 4, to a national semifinal win over the tourney's #1 overall seed which had gone thirty unbeaten, and then top it off with a wire-to-wire beatdown of among all sports' most wretched and narcissistic figures with a roster chock-full of supposed NBA first-rounders... eh? I'm with you that S16 would've felt great, but man this surreal run and climax was something else-

And to the OP, more of this stuff! Less catastrophic talk of recruiting worries and more basking in the glory that this program has attained. I get as paranoid about it as anyone, but that's just part of being a true fan. The other aspect of that, to me, is love and near-worship. What a program UConn has become--nothing handed to it and plenty of obstacles in the way simply cast aside like nothing :D

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Would the season have ended on a negative note? Yes. Would KO have been a bad coach because of it? No. Making the big dance the first time you're eligible as a coach is impressive no matter who you are.

Reaction Score
It helped tremendously that uk was too nervous to hit foul shots.

The flip side to that is our veteran leadership and experience. Sure Ollie coached his butt off, however having senior leadership WITH championship experience gave us a huge advantage. Bazz was also coaching out there throughout the game. When I rewatch the game what strikes me is our composure particularly when uk made that comeback. Giffey, Bazz, Tyler and Ollie (with staff) are to get credit for that. Many teams wilted during the Tourney under similar circumstance but we didn't.

Finally uk had some big ass (NBA) MF'ers on the court, dwarfing our players. Their talent level was off the charts. We looked like David to Goliath. yet their was no fear or intimidation, whatsoever! Kicking their arse made that victory so satisfying and one of our better Championship earned, if not the best.

I could and will watch that game forever.

Reaction Score

The flip side to that is our veteran leadership and experience. Sure Ollie coached his butt off, however having senior leadership WITH championship experience gave us a huge advantage. Bazz was also coaching out there throughout the game. When I rewatch the game what strikes me is our composure particularly when uk made that comeback. Giffey, Bazz, Tyler and Ollie (with staff) are to get credit for that. Many teams wilted during the Tourney under similar circumstance but we didn't.

Finally uk had some big ass (NBA) MF'ers on the court, dwarfing our players. Their talent level was off the charts. We looked like David to Goliath. yet their was no fear or intimidation, whatsoever! Kicking their arse made that victory so satisfying and one of our better Championship earned, if not the best.

Tyler?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Good day to watch the game again with all this rain. We all know S Habazz and what he brought to the table and all that he did for us and deserves much credit but so many guys stepped up and watching DD's demeanor how stoic and calm he is and saw a little more edge to G iffy who also is pretty stoic out there. It was so cool to see them grow up right before our eyes and we will miss them a lot. Both guys brought their lunch pails in the tournament. I really want to give them a shout out for all they did for us. Wish them the best. Loved the warrior yell from KO. The way he coached and handled himself was inspiring, true professional . I have to believe recruits and there parents were very impressed and I think he will have a super recruiting year coming up.

UConn was prepared and ready for the moment. Kentucky was not. That is a function of coaching and leading throughout the year. You can't prepare a team for the moment overnight.

Reaction Score
How can I find the full '14 championship game, preferably without the commercials? I would ask my UConn grad daughter but she currently has a day job now. In Houston. So she has the 2 TX championships under her belt and the next (please) in Houston again. Thanks for the help.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
How can I find the full '14 championship game, preferably without the commercials? I would ask my UConn grad daughter but she currently has a day job now. In Houston. So she has the 2 TX championships under her belt and the next (please) in Houston again. Thanks for the help.

Here's a link, thanks to tcf15, who put all six games on Youtube:

2014 CHAMPS!

Reaction Score
Tyler?
I'd like to think his leadership that night (Senior with ring) contributed from the bench. It may not have been a factor but I will give him credit anyway as a kind gesture.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I know he wasn't there for the last championship, but I loved Boat's leadership too!

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
An underrated bright spot in that game was Jim Nantz. I've killed the guy over the years but I thought he did a solid job, and his "tapped into the hands of Boatright!" call was pretty great.

Reaction Score
An underrated bright spot in that game was Jim Nantz. I've killed the guy over the years but I thought he did a solid job, and his "tapped into the hands of Boatright!" call was pretty great.

honestly seemed like he was rooting for UConn during the whole FF, especially in the Florida game, he was getting hyped whenever UConn made a big play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom