Championship Dinner | The Boneyard

Championship Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has anyone heard anything about the Championship Dinner yet? In the past it has been at the Aqua Turf Club. I hope they have one this year.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
There will be one. I expect to hear about it soon. It is usually in September.

Reaction Score
Just heard from a fairly reliable source that because of the Jim Calhoun celebration , that they won't be having a dinner for the girls.......that stinks !

Reaction Score
Thanks Phil. Let's hope 67's source is wrong. I really like that event. It is always a full house and I get to see some Yarders there too.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I also have it on good authority that there will not be a championship dinner this season.

Reaction Score
I also have it on good authority that there will not be a championship dinner this season.
Love the new headgear, Nan. You can probably make a pretty good living selling them over on the football board.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Thanks Phil. Let's hope 67's source is wrong. I really like that event. It is always a full house and I get to see some Yarders there too.

I wasn't posting based upon sources, just on tradition.

Very disappointing.

I hope we don't hear any complaints from the school if they feel some fans take the success for granted, when it sure looks like that's the attitude of the school (I'll bet there were some logistical challenges, I don't think they simply decided not to bother, but perceptions matter.)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I wasn't posting based upon sources, just on tradition.

Very disappointing.

I hope we don't hear any complaints from the school if they feel some fans take the success for granted, when it sure looks like that's the attitude of the school (I'll bet there were some logistical challenges, I don't think they simply decided not to bother, but perceptions matter.)

It would be nice to hear from the program on the decision not to have a championship dinner. It would be nice to hear something, anything from our national championship program. The 2013-2014 schedule was released without a word from the coach. Contrast this with a video of Muffet talking about ND's schedule, or press releases with quotes from Warlick on Tenn's schedule and quotes from Walz on Louisville's schedule. It's the sounds of silence from Storrs.

The small bit of news we do have is only because Stef Dolson sat down with Jim Fuller at halftime of the football game. Oh, there are the Wed videos which are nice.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Huge error not to have the championship dinner.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Have national championships become that mundane?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just heard from a fairly reliable source that because of the Jim Calhoun celebration , that they won't be having a dinner for the girls.......that stinks !

Just heard that while there are no current plans for a championship dinner, the reason has nothing to do with with the event planned to honor Coach Calhoun. I also know that there has been a dinner for the men's team in Hartford for the last decade or so that has not affected any plans for the women's team in any way.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The UConn AD seems to have the NCAA PR touch.

I got my season ticket renewal application which basically called upon me to buy season tickets for games with no schedule. So I bought the equivalent of a pig in a poke.

No championship dinner? OK, but why?

I think it was Rich Elliott who tried to make sense of the home games schedule and his concluding remark was that the last home game would be played at either Mohegan Sun Arena or the Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport. Huh?

So I laid out the cash hoping I get a good mix of games in Hartford.

I honestly will not welcome any further derogatory comments from Geno about us fans.

Reaction Score
Nan, what does your source say is the reason for no dinner ? Poor decision !

Reaction Score
Not happy about this. It is not like it was free. As I recall I paid $150 per person. And I really had a good time at all of them. Someone dropped the ball this time.

Thanks Nan & 67 for the info.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, what does your source say is the reason for no dinner ? Poor decision !

I didn't get a reason although, to be fair, I didn't ask for one.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is an unfathomable decision. It is a kick in the butt to the team's most active boosters and a slight to the players (unless they are the source of ditching the tradition - which I doubt). Some rationale should be forthcoming, but what would it be?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
So when will they get their rings??????????????

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's becoming more clear every day why there might not be a championship dinner. The new recruiting rules allow in-home visits with rising juniors during the month of September. Plus, there's visits with the 2014 recruits (including those already committed). We've heard that UConn will have in-home visits with:

Asia Durr
A'ja Wilson
Kia Nurse
Napheesa Collier
De'Janae Boykin
Kalani Brown

It's also been reported that Geno will visit Mater Dei High School to see Katie Lou Samuelson as she's not accepting in-home visits. Sounds like Geno will also be visiting Ekmark, Williams and Edwards.

Oh, and there's today's news. Geno is one busy guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom