center position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
both good to play this weekend...

Reaction Score
So does Mateas go back to starting, or do we stay with Bullock.

By the way, Dan, are you sure that it's o.k. to have a thread here about football games? I assumed the Mods banned it and I just missed the memo.

pj

Reaction Score
BL, there you go again, trying to divert a thread away from football.

Reaction Score
BL is the ostrich that runs around screaming at every turn all the other ostriches have their head in the sand. Newflash, ostriches love having their head in the sand. Everyone knows that. Get over it.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, and I've mentioned this before, but the clear preference of the other O linemen seems to be for Bullock. His snapping of the ball on time was the main reason cited for no false starts last week. Of course, since Mateas was a DeLeone recruit from the Penn State debacle, he has favored Alex most of the year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is one thing that has me a bit confused (with how the staff has handled this). I heard last spring from a pretty good source that they felt very good about Bullock as a center and the only issue was that he may have been needed as a tackle if Jimmy Bennett wasn't able to fully recover.

They spoke of Mateas as both a center (a position he never played before coming here) and a guard, listed him only as a guard throughout the spring and summer yet treated the situation as if he was only a center from at least summer practice forward (possibly further back than that).

I believe that both kids have potential. I also know that there are some issues with our offensive line play but (primarily because I don't know the intricacies well enough and haven't analyzed what I've seen thoroughly enough) I am not about to put any of this on any individual players. I do know that alternating centers during a game is very rare because this position is the key to timing and rhythm off the snap.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be detrimental to most qb's to switch centers often? Is it that each one has different types of blocks or something? I hope this would be in the mountain out of molehill category.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be detrimental to most qb's to switch centers often? Is it that each one has different types of blocks or something? I hope this would be in the mountain out of molehill category.
We should have both in there at the same time, a center wildcat if you will. Keeps the d guessing, who will snap it to the QB that hands it off to McCombs on 1st down.

pj

Reaction Score
The center wildcat is a good idea. McCummings can be the center. He either runs himself or snaps to McCombs. For a trick play, put Whitmer in the backfield to take a snap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom