CC | The Boneyard

CC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
saw some good things from him. Throws a pretty ball. But, yes, a RS season might be best for him.
The kid never took a snap under center before, so his comfort zone with his 7-step drops aren't there
(If our OL doesn't improve, there wont be any 7-step drops).

I liked how he was reading the opposing teams offensive signals, and then confirming it with his wristband. I know his stats werent good, but I thought he was the #2 guy.

Reaction Score
saw some good things from him. Throws a pretty ball. But, yes, a RS season might be best for him.
The kid never took a snap under center before, so his comfort zone with his 7-step drops aren't there
(If our OL doesn't improve, there wont be any 7-step drops).

I liked how he was reading the opposing teams offensive signals, and then confirming it with his wristband. I know his stats werent good, but I thought he was the #2 guy.

Definitely not the # 2 guy. He had a pretty brutal game (some of which can be blamed on porous O Line, some of which can be blamed on him basically being a high school senior). However, he took command of that huddle, and you could see him reading defenses. He has a rep as a relentless worker, so I remain excited for his future.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He looked good, but if he's not clearly better than the returning QBs, he should redshirt. He probably helps himself and the team by running the scout team this year.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
CC displayed some polished mechanics and form. The kid has a bright future but the only way he plays next year is if two QB's go down with an injury.

The hope for CC is that he turns into a Chad Pennington like, cerebral, quick release passer because he does not have a cannon arm or running ability.

Reaction Score
He looked not ready in just about every respect. One good throw over the middle.

Reaction Score
I thought he was at best #3. He needs to RS. I know it's frowned upon on this board, but I doubt all 5 of these kids are on the roster come Aug 30.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I would prefer Cochrane to red shirt. One of my biggest criticisms of the Edsall era was that we never developed a QB after Orlovsky.

A lot contributed to that between transfers, injuries, etc. At the same time though, aside from the first half of the 2007 season (Lorenzen) second half of the 2010 season (Frazer) we've had by far some of the worst QB play in college football.

Don't get me wrong, I know Edsall was playing who gave us the best shot to win on a given Saturday - but in 10 years we've had a huge QB carousel.

I would just like for once a good prospect to come in like Cochrane, take his redshirt and hopefully come out and win the job as a RS Freshman and have 3-4 years of 1 guy taking the snaps under the center.

Reaction Score
I think the most likely scenario with the little we have seen of out the new QB's is the following. Whitmer starts the next 3 years. CC redshirts this year and he starts his junior and senior years. My thinking is that if CC is going to be the starter next year , then Whitmer is not as good as I am hoping. This would give us quality play for the next 5 years. This is my hope but I can be 100 % wrong on the whole situation. I really would like to see a UConn QB that is at least above average. Since DO ( with a few short periods as the exception) we have had below to way below QB play.

Reaction Score
I would prefer Cochrane to red shirt. One of my biggest criticisms of the Edsall era was that we never developed a QB after Orlovsky.

A lot contributed to that between transfers, injuries, etc. At the same time though, aside from the first half of the 2007 season (Lorenzen) second half of the 2010 season (Frazer) we've had by far some of the worst QB play in college football.

Don't get me wrong, I know Edsall was playing who gave us the best shot to win on a given Saturday - but in 10 years we've had a huge QB carousel.

I would just like for once a good prospect to come in like Cochrane, take his redshirt and hopefully come out and win the job as a RS Freshman and have 3-4 years of 1 guy taking the snaps under the center.

One of the smartest things Ive read...Develop a quarterback. Absolutely is what we need to do. Hope everyone realizes Chandler is going to need a season or two to develop chemistry with his wide receivers. Expecting more than a slight improvement from last years qb play is a bit unrealistic. Look for year two to be much better. Casey can be learning the offense this year and practicing with the team, then next year get some game snaps in games that are in hand. Ultimately building a program.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought he was at best #3. He needs to RS. I know it's frowned upon on this board, but I doubt all 5 of these kids are on the roster come Aug 30.

Who was better? I thought he was the clear #2 though not close to the starter.

Reaction Score
I thought pretty much everyone was better, quite honestly. Johnny Mac was better by a lot. Nebrich was even better in my mind. I though Cochran looked like a true freshman who wasn't ready for the speed of the game at this level. None of that is unexpected for a true freshman. But Saturday he was way over his head.

Reaction Score

I though Mac was better. But the gap between Mac and CC is a lot smaller than the gap between Mac and Whitmer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I though Mac was better. But the gap between Mac and CC is a lot smaller than the gap between Mac and Whitmer.

Nah, can't agree. JMac still has that bunny hop thing going on, even when not under pressure.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I like to see Casey redshirt and then have Nebrich and Johnny Mac fight it out for the back up spot

Reaction Score
I thnk CC will be a player, in time. I saw nothing Sat. that indicated he was ready now. IMO, and based solely on Sat's performance, Whitmer, Nebrich, McEntee, McCummings* would be the depth chart. Whitmer to start and McCummings with his package. I also thought Nebrich's style was closest to that of Whitmer, and would make his coming in less of an adjustment.

Having said that, I applaud the staff for waiting to annoint a starter. I think we all saw SOME separation, but I was in the endzone for the Whitmer pick and that would be a killer in a game. I don't see a high octane offense, so points will be important. His 18 INTs last year are a red flag.

I thought Nebrich looked so much more comfortable as the day progressed. I thought McEntee regressed; his footwork was atrocious.

I was hoping the staff would stick w/an OL for a few sets to give each of the Os some rhythm. Anyone knows that shuffling in platyers is a recipe for disaster and we got what one had to expect from shuffling lines and very little of playbook being utilized. What my eyes told me was that we emerged w/a leader, but not a clear winner.

I would look for no announcement from the staff, but word to trickle out around week 2 of summer practice as to 1-2 guys getting more reps.

Reaction Score
Nah, can't agree. JMac still has that bunny hop thing going on, even when not under pressure.

Agree about JMac's footwork being terrible Saturday. We're splitting hairs. Anyone not named Whitmer had a lousy day. Being #2 based on Saturday's performance is akin to being the tallest dwarf in circus.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Agree about JMac's footwork being terrible Saturday. We're splitting hairs. Anyone not named Whitmer had a lousy day. Being #2 based on Saturday's performance is akin to being the tallest dwarf in circus.

Yup, you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01