CBSsports Fowlers Take on State of BE Football | The Boneyard

CBSsports Fowlers Take on State of BE Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Strength in numbers? Like Tulane? Memphis? IF we retain our western members I would be ok with Fresno State as an additional western school. They`re kinda like a western ECU, but I think with more national cache (and I always thought their helmets were cool). Other than that no thanks.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's crazy to think the football league would keep the Big East name... but then again they might be saying that to see if the C7 are willing to pay some $$$ to get the name (since they're not paying exit fees unless they negotiate an early exit).

Reaction Score
The name is the the 5th or 6th most valuable in college sports. I would like to keep it. It has more cache than anything brand new ever could.

Reaction Score
Worst case....absolute worst case, a league of UConn, Cinci, UCF, USF, Temple, ECU, Tulane, Navy, SMU, UH, BSU, SDSU is serviceable and keeps us moving. It's the 6th best (possibly 5th best) FB league and a top 3 BB league (better than P12, B12, and SEC no doubt). So, we make lemonade until our ticket is pulled...... No, I'm not buying what I'm typing either. !

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I can't wait until we put together a new conference, beat everyone in it, earn the NCAA credits, then get on and dicked over by every school we bring in. There will be a certain familiarity to the process, that is mostly what I am looking forward to. In 6 years:

SDSU - Pac12
Boise - Pac12
Cinci - ACC
SFL - ACC
Temple - ACC
Memphis - Big 12

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Worst case....absolute worst case, a league of UConn, Cinci, UCF, USF, Temple, ECU, Tulane, Navy, SMU, UH, BSU, SDSU is serviceable and keeps us moving. It's the 6th best (possibly 5th best) FB league and a top 3 BB league (better than P12, B12, and SEC no doubt). So, we make lemonade until our ticket is pulled...... No, I'm not buying what I'm typing either. ****!

Top 3 BB league? In what universe? This would be worse than the A-10, worse than the B12, PAC and SEC, and worse than the new C7 league.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The BE name still has value. Heck, the SWC still has value. It shouldn't be given to the Catholics who are leaving.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Worst case....absolute worst case, a league of UConn, Cinci, UCF, USF, Temple, ECU, Tulane, Navy, SMU, UH, BSU, SDSU is serviceable and keeps us moving. It's the 6th best (possibly 5th best) FB league and a top 3 BB league (better than P12, B12, and SEC no doubt). So, we make lemonade until our ticket is pulled...... No, I'm not buying what I'm typing either. ****!

Yeah....that is not the 3rd best basketball league.

Reaction Score
Yeah....that is not the 3rd best basketball league.
If we imagine that SDSU continue to stay strong, and that UNLV continues their return, and that Alford stays at New Mexico, and that all of them are invited full time, then I think its a pretty darn good basketball conference. No ACC. No B1G. But the programs are good.

UConn-Cincy-Temple-Memphis-UNLV-New Mexico-SDSU would be a top 7 better than most.

I mean, look at the P12. Arizona-UCLA-Washington-??? Oregon is good sometimes; so is Stanford; so is Cal. None of them are programs that have made noise in years. It's at least on par with them, probably better. Long term? No way! Enough to keep our program afloat? Probably.

Look at the B12. They have Kansas. Then, in some order, Texas-WVU-Baylor. Not impressed.

The SEC has Kentucky-Florida-Missouri, and then falls off the map.

Is it 3? Probably not. But its in the discussion with that next group of good basketball conference, and it keeps us away from the proverbial (since it's now defunct) BracketBusters.

Reaction Score
Top 3 BB league? In what universe? This would be worse than the A-10, worse than the B12, PAC and SEC, and worse than the new C7 league.
Did you not read the part where I wrote..."No, I'm not buying what I'm typing either. ****!"

Reaction Score
The C7 deserve the BE name more than we (FBS schools) do. The BE started as a hoops league and most of the C7 are original members. We (FBS) are a bunch of rag tag fugitives with schools spread across the continent that nobody else wants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The C7 deserve the BE name more than we (FBS schools) do. The BE started as a hoops league and most of the C7 are original members. We (FBS) are a bunch of rag tag fugitives with schools spread across the continent that nobody else wants.

Yes, the 7 original members are more the Big East than UConn alone, as the only original member left. But would you just give it to them? No way. Sell it to them maybe. Trade it for forfeiture of their NCAA shares. Same with the MSG contract, since our new league is certainly not relevant in NY.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Sentimentally you are correct. But this is a business whether we like it or not. And the C7 have announced they were withdrawing. To withdraw means you are leaving something and the something they are leaving is the BE. I don't blame them for leaving, but making choices has both positive and negative consequences. I hope that the remaining three football teams don't just give them the name.

UConn was a founding member and was a bb member. The BE in a past incarnation offered UConn the opportunity to join the BE in football. UConn accepted and spent lots of money to upgrade. Now they are at risk. I believe all of these factors entitle UConn to a claim for that name. If you want to argue Cinci and USF don't have a claim, well neither do Depaul and Marquette.

Reaction Score

There is no such thing as "deserve". It's ours, we should change the name of the conference an lease it to them. F em.

Reaction Score
Neither the name Big East nor locating a tournament in MSG have much value to the incoming members. If you think that BSU, SDSU, Houston, Tulane, etc. would look forward to shipping their BB teams to NYC to be cheared by about a dozen of their fans every year you are crazy. If we are stuck in an all sport conference with the current or projected FB members when the C7 leave we will be the only school that cares about NYC, MSG or the BE name. Kiss them all goodbye.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Neither the name Big East nor locating a tournament in MSG have much value to the incoming members. If you think that BSU, SDSU, Houston, Tulane, etc. would look forward to shipping their BB teams to NYC to be cheared by about a dozen of their fans every year you are crazy. If we are stuck in an all sport conference with the current or projected FB members when the C7 leave we will be the only school that cares about NYC, MSG or the BE name. Kiss them all goodbye.
It has value and cache and will for some time although the value and cache is at an all time low. There is a window of two years of transition, 2014 and 2015, in which the remaining and added teams can prove themselves. So I believe the BE name should stay with the remaining football teams to allow for that opportunity. It's not out of the realm of possibility, so why just give it away. That's just defeatist.

Reaction Score
Why would you give up the conference name? It has value. Besides, the PAC12 is in Utah and Colorado - been to their beaches? The Big XII has 10 teams, the BigX has 14. The Southeast now includes TX and MO. If you are giving up the name I assume you are also asking other institutions of higher learning to focus on geography or math.

Reaction Score
It has value and cache and will for some time although the value and cache is at an all time low. There is a window of two years of transition, 2014 and 2015, in which the remaining and added teams can prove themselves. So I believe the BE name should stay with the remaining football teams to allow for that opportunity. It's not out of the realm of possibility, so why just give it away. That's just defeatist.

I am not saying it has no value just not much to the incoming teams. It has more value to the C7 so by all means we should try to get something for the name from them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

They are leaving the conference. We aren't forcing them out. They have no better claim than BC, Cuse, or Pitt and a worse one then we do as the sole charter member left. F- them.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I am not saying it has no value just not much to the incoming teams. It has more value to the C7 so by all means we should try to get something for the name from them.
zoocouger posted a thread from the San Diego State board: http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/great-thread-from-a-san-diego-state-board.30112/

They were excited to play in the BE and it had nothing to do with the C7 so their leaving shouldn't influence this much unless the media was going to give the BE a lot more dollars for Georgetown, Nova and SJ who were the only teams with any bb value. I just don't buy that.

Reaction Score
Sorry the Big East as a football brand is a joke - sell it to the CYO7. Then come up with something new doesn't rhyme with Least, Worst, Bad, , or any other derogatory term and doesn't sound like anything that has already been done - i.e., CUSA.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Sorry the Big East as a football brand is a joke - sell it to the CYO7. Then come up with something new doesn't rhyme with Least, Worst, Bad, ****, or any other derogatory term and doesn't sound like anything that has already been done - i.e., CUSA.

This is the real point. After 2013 the Big East name is an anvil around our necks. A reminder of ineptitude. I don't want the name. It has basketball value, sell it to the basketball schools. In 2013 it still carries a BCS AQ slot in a bowl game. So we need to hold it for now, and then let it go. There no brand value left there for a football based league made up of of mostly non-eastern teams. One more thing in the new name....no number and no use of "Big". Road Trip Conference, Continental Conference, whatever.

Reaction Score
zoocouger posted a thread from the San Diego State board: http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/great-thread-from-a-san-diego-state-board.30112/

They were excited to play in the BE and it had nothing to do with the C7 so their leaving shouldn't influence this much unless the media was going to give the BE a lot more dollars for Georgetown, Nova and SJ who were the only teams with any bb value. I just don't buy that.

I'm glad they are so excited. Can't wait to see the big SDSU contingent at The Rent for their first game here. Better get my order for extra tickets in now before the rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom