CBS Ranks Top 100 Players in CBB | The Boneyard

CBS Ranks Top 100 Players in CBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://post original url/e80Khhh3nR

Here's the link. UConn players mentioned:

39. STERLING GIBBS, UConn

This is my pick for America's most impactful transfer. Remember, before Seton Hall's season went off the rails, he was a legitimate All-America candidate. Look for him to be the lead guard that replaces Ryan Boatright this year. -- SV

48. DANIEL HAMILTON, UConn

Hamilton is another player at UConn that will take a step forward this season. He averaged nearly 11 points per game as a freshman last season in high minutes. Now, he just needs to work on his efficiency, particularly around the rim given his slashing ability. -- SV

78. AMIDA BRIMAH, UConn

Brimah is the reigning American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year who led the nation with 121 blocks last season. The 7-foot center shot 67.4 percent from the field last season, which is the best field goal percentage any UConn player has ever recorded. -- GP

Reaction Score
wow, hamilton and brimah are rather low. thought Hamilton would be in the 30s and Brimah might at least be in the 50s

Reaction Score
wow, hamilton and brimah are rather low. thought Hamilton would be in the 30s and Brimah might at least be in the 50s

Easy answer, the CBS Sports NCAA BB crew (especially Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander) are both schmucks and UConn haters.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised so many lists have Justin Jackson and Daniel Hamilton as low as they do. Seems like they're both obvious breakout candidates given they were five star recruits and submitted solid freshman seasons.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Huh, who would have thought that Kentucky reloaded again this year with 2 more top 10 players in all of college basketball, and the best part is no one has seen them play! But take the experts word for it, these guys are definitely Top 5. Don't be skeptical, just take their word for it.

Reaction Score
Huh, who would have thought that Kentucky reloaded again this year with 2 more top 10 players in all of college basketball, and the best part is no one has seen them play! But take the experts word for it, these guys are definitely Top 5. Don't be skeptical, just take their word for it.

People said the same thing about Okafor and Towns last year. And guess what, they ended up being two of the best players in the country.

Are you skeptical about Ben Simmons too?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
People said the same thing about Okafor and Towns last year. And guess what, they ended up being two of the best players in the country.

Best college player doesn't equal best NBA prospect in most circumstances.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Towns wasn't top 2

Reaction Score
I'm really stretching things but anyway; 50 States (2 per) and CT has 3 listed. We could easily have 5 (Purvis, Miller).

Glass half full.

Reaction Score

Just let them keep underrating these guys, I almost get the feeling that some of these writers are closet fans of UConn and know just how hungry overlooked and undervalued Huskies can be

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I wouldn't expect Miller to get any love. He put up numbers at Cornell, but these guys have never seen a Cornell game, so how would they know if he was any good?

Leaving Purvis off completely is an error. I'd say he should be in the 80's. Although, when Boat couldn't play at the end of last season, Purvis looked like a beast. He was getting into the lane and getting to getting to the basket at will. If he can become a bit more steady with the jumper, he's going to be a FORCE.

Reaction Score
I think there's a chance Purvis will end up top 100. But we certainly haven't seen enough from him consistently to rank him there right now, considering that a few games clustered together towards the end of the season don't outweigh the totality of his play. There are 4,000 college basketball players every season, top 100 is top 2.5% (97.5th percentile). He can be improved and really good and still not be a top 100 player.

Reaction Score
Best college player doesn't equal best NBA prospect in most circumstances.

My point is that freshman make postseason All-American teams on a very consistent basis. Last year, there were 2 freshman (Okafor and Russell) on the consensus 1st team and another (Towns) on the 2nd team. In other words, 3 of the 10 best players in the country (voted on after the season) were freshmen.

So it's extremely silly to argue that freshman shouldn't be included on these preseason lists, when history suggests that guys as talented and hyped as Simmons, Labassiere, and Murray have a pretty good chance of actually being some of the best players in college basketball.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I mean... what point is BUHusky trying to make? That we should be generally skeptical of all high school scouting? I mean... sure, nothing is 100%, but some things are knowable. To say that scouts have "never seen them play" is silly. Yes, they haven't played in a college game yet, but their performance prior to college can be compared with the performance of players who came before them.

Reaction Score
Wow is this a thin skinned group. Three out of the top 100, with approx 350 schools playing D1 (that's 4,500 players). Only schools with more are the standards (plus Maryland). All in, pretty fair. And yes, as much as Cal is what he is, Kentucky freshmen have proven to be some of the best players in college bb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom