Castle injury update | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Castle injury update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, part of this is adhering/complying with HIPAA laws. It’s really that simple, people.
How does the NFL get around this? Just curious.

The injured person could sign a release approving the disclosure of medical information. I'm not sure why a college kid would do that though.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I mean it’s not like they have anyone better on their bench. Some said we had “the best starting 5 in the country”. One injury shouldn’t mean we can’t win these games. We’ll just need Ball to break out a little sooner
Are you saying he's going to need to...

...Ball out?

Ayyy

Reaction Score

The injured person could sign a release approving the disclosure of medical information. I'm not sure why a college kid would do that though.

Exactly...I am only speculating on this, but since the NFL is a private business, where it's employees make huge sums of money, AND huge sums of NFL-related money depends on detailed injury reports (sports betting), my guess is part of these PRO athlete's contracts involves some detailed legalize that specifies types of PHI (Protected Health Information) that will/can be released to the public involving health-related items that could affect ability to play.

At this point, college athletes are still technically non-professionals (yes, I know "but NIL"., "sports betting", etc.). So I'd surmise that any health-related information that gets released is much more in line with HIPAA regs and much more is, in general, kept close to the vest.

Yes, its "so, so, so unfair" to rabid entitled college sports fans who deserve to know everything about their star players (sarcasm not directed at anyone specific in this thread), but its probably the right approach.

Reaction Score
if he only plays 2 games for us this year then i really hope he'd come back next year. the team will need him even more since we'll be losing at least newton, cam, and clingan.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
And that's an entirely different conversation. There's a pretty wide gap between forcing UConn to say Stephon Castle isn't playing this weekend (which happened) and forcing UConn to say Stephon Castle will be back in 4 weeks or 6 weeks or 3 months. Because nobody knows this far out, and every person on this board will hold him to his original claim
That I can agree with. If they dont know a timeline they don’t know a timeline.

But to say people are entitled and stick your nose up because they want to know injury information on a player they care about is silly. And there’s rules in place that say people are actually entitled to that information. Otherwise we’d probably never hear injury updates.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

There’s got to be something for college too because it’s mandatory for the Big Ten as I mentioned. I’m not sure the details. But it’s a thing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Time for Newton to absolutely dominate
It's definitely got upside and downside for Tristen. I think he was looking forward to having more of a shooting guard role this year to highlight his offense, but, as we saw last year, he has developed into a very capable point guard. Hopefully between Diarra and the other freshman Tristen can still get significant time off the ball, but basically, his impact and value to the team, which was already considerable, just jumped up another notch.

Reaction Score
It’s time for our fifth year guys to step it up. Show the scouts that you’re ready for the next level. Great opportunity for them. Along with solid play from Alex and Donovan, we should be fine. Hopefully Solo and Hassan play relatively mistake free ball. No reason we can’t still kick butt. Think we win these next two handily.

Reaction Score
There’s got to be something for college too because it’s mandatory for the Big Ten as I mentioned. I’m not sure the details. But it’s a thing.

If you read the actual press release, it's just a gameday report 2h prior to a specific game. And it's an availability report. There's no mandate of granular health-related details for the athlete.

Just submitting something like "Smith - out - leg" would likely comply with the regulation...

I mean, look at last week's report. It's about as generic as you can get with details:

2023-11-17 12_11_37-(PDF) - Big Ten Conference.jpg

Reaction Score
Watching that team the other night lucky to have less than 4 losses going into BE play absolutely. I’m sure they can play better but losing Castle for basically the OOC schedule is not good at all.
Listen, of course is not good at all. But this team will still be competitive. We have 2 fifth year seniors who can score. And somebody else made this point earlier, but if DC is what we think/hope he is, he can step up too. For me, AK, TN and Spenser are the key.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If you read the actual press release, it's just a gameday report 2h prior to a specific game. And it's an availability report. There's no mandate of granular health-related details for the athlete.

Just submitting something like "Smith - out - leg" would likely comply with the regulation...

I mean, look at last week's report. It's about as generic as you can get with details:

View attachment 93141
True. I guess its really up to the specific coaches and players on whether they divulge any more information than that.

Reaction Score
if he only plays 2 games for us this year then i really hope he'd come back next year. the team will need him even more since we'll be losing at least newton, cam, and clingan.
Selfishly I thought something similar. Even if he comes back for 5-10 games is that enough a body of work to enter the draft? Look at a guy like Bouknight who clearly wasn’t ready.

Reaction Score
Castle is so poised out there. Tall and can defend bigger players. Plays 1-3. What Castle does do that we will miss a lot is rebounding.

His replacements
  1. Diarra - Too erratic and makes too many mistakes plus a terrible shooter. Can play hardcore man defense and good vocal leader.
  2. Ball - Can shoot but hasn't shot good yet. Right now needs to slow down as he is playing too fast. Can't have bad shots and bad turnovers. Just be solid on D and make open shots.
  3. Ross and Stewart - Both have looked lost out there, yes I know their freshman as well as Ball, but they run to the corner and hide on O. Need a few threes from Ross a game off the bench.
This might be good enough to beat Indiana & Texas if Donovan, Cam, Alex and Tristen come to play but Kansas and NC I don't know.

Reaction Score
Castle seemed to be the straw that was going to stir the drink and make things happen with our lineup.

IMO we get significantly worse without him.

This sucks- no 2 ways about it.

They are going to be extra careful with his recovery time too. I’m not even anticipating seeing him in January.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score

You can waive your hippa rights. They are union and I am certain they have certain clauses in their players agreement that teams can discuss playing injuries. If it is something else they put them on NFI list and you don’t hear much. Think Stetson Bennett for the Rams he has been out all year on the NFI list and there have been no updates.

Reaction Score
If you want you injury status keep under wraps, don't play sports that are financially supported by fans.

Of course we are entitled to the information. We pay for it. We pay for the program, the coaches, the NIL, the facilities. We pay for tickets, and merch, and donate money, and advertisers pay for our eyeball and eardrums.

We are the customers and we are always right. And keeping us in the dark is treating us poorly.
As salient as those points might be, they don't preempt HIPAA

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Unless whoever you hear this from had express permission, they violated HIPAA laws.
Maybe the procedure was the MRI……but that means they waited three to four days to have it completed. Trying to be optimistic maybe it is only a minor strain or sprain and it’s only a few weeks.

Reaction Score
These are athletes. It’s not the same.

If that was the case we’d never have injury reports. There’s a reason those kind of things are mandatory for sports leagues. That kind of information can be the difference between someone buying tickets to go see a game or not.
There is a difference between knowing someone isn't playing v knowing why they aren't playing..if they are out because of sore knee or broken arm doesn't change the betting line...they are out. All you are entitled to know IMO is are they in our out, or the % they are likely to play.

Reaction Score
This sucks had a feeling Castle would be out a week at minimum. Well our leaders are gonna have to step and yes I’ll say it, the Freshman will have to step up too.

Reaction Score
That's the point, we don't know and are in the dark as to what the injury is and how long the recovery. @Kenny11 seems to know what he's talking about and he heard a few weeks, hopefully that's the case.
This aligns with information that's trickled from other folks who have actual connections.

• Dauster's pod today estimates a ~2-4 week timeline, with a projected return possibly for Gonzaga, more likely for conference play.
  • Donovan's dad was on Spaces the other night after the MVSU game and indicated the team was not concerned that this is a long-term injury.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
This aligns with information that's trickled from other folks who have actual connections.

• Dauster's pod today estimates a ~2-4 week timeline, with a projected return possibly for Gonzaga, more likely for conference play.
  • Donovan's dad was on Spaces the other night after the MVSU game and indicated the team was not concerned that this is a long-term injury.
If that is accurate that is great news. Sounds like the MRI revealed some type of strain. I am doubting the comment about “minor procedure”. That had to be the MRI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom