Castle and the arc. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Castle and the arc.

Reaction Score
In the chat I said:

• Scottobot:
    During odd minutes you can tackle a player and no foul, during even minutes if you breathe on a player that’s a foul
    +1
  • Today at 10:10 PM
  • housekeys:
    Friars are willing to live or die at the hands of Castle. Take the dare Stephon!
    Today at 10:09 PM
  • spudzj6:
    Rebounding 101, he needs fundamental lessons
    Today at 10:09 PM
He took the dare. You have to.

Reaction Score
Hurley basically asked for this when He criticized the B.E. officiating by comparing it to MMA. Hopefully next game will be officiated better.
Well that is always the way PC plays us. Just glad the refs didn't let them get away with it this time. 29 fouls called on them. That's an insane amount.

Reaction Score
It’s a great sign when we can still win by 9 against a formidable opponent when Cam and Alex are cold.
Very good sign. Cam was off all night on his threes but fortunately made his midrange and free throws when they were needed.

Reaction Score
I expect to see Steph rise in the mock drafts after that performance.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I agree he should take a few 3s a game. More concerned about his foul shooting. He will spend a lot of time at the line given his driving strength. As i mentioned in a post after another game, he tends to miss short and doesn’t have a confident stroke - see Spencer - but the plus is he has a very soft touch. newton, a decent foul shooter, has a low arc and needs to be pretty much dead center.

Reaction Score
Castle is the one player that can grow this season to be a much bigger contributer than where he was. This season is all about March right now. Keep shooting a few threes a game and see where he settles by March. If teams have to guard him at all at the three point line in March, this team's going to be hard to beat.

Reaction Score
I agree he should take a few 3s a game. More concerned about his foul shooting. He will spend a lot of time at the line given his driving strength. As i mentioned in a post after another game, he tends to miss short and doesn’t have a confident stroke - see Spencer - but the plus is he has a very soft touch. newton, a decent foul shooter, has a low arc and needs to be pretty much dead center.

Seems mental. He gets a funny hitch which messes up the rhythm of his shot. He seems to miss the first and make the second--similar to DC.

Reaction Score
His foul shot is too similar to his form on his jump shot. Not sure if it’s taught that way, but there’s too much elaborate, unnecessary movement it seems.

Reaction Score
when I looked at his FT % this morning I was surprised that he was shooting as high as 69%, thought it would be lower considering how many and-1s/front end of 1&1s he's missed and then the 1 make/1 miss trips he's had at the line.

Reaction Score
If I had to pick one NBA star that Castle reminds me of, it will have to be the big O Oscar Robertson, which may be too old for some of the youngsters on here.

Reaction Score
“Andre is more of a deep thinker and an over thinker, where Steph just keeps playing and maybe kind of thinks a little bit less out there,” Hurley said. “The 3s he’s taking, the mechanics look great, they look really good. He keeps having 2-for-4 type of nights and they’ll start doing it less.”

“The thing about this kid, man, is he is not reading mock drafts, he’s not huddling up with his agent, he’s got parents at home that (say), ‘If your coach is telling you to screen, screen,'” Hurley said. “For a kid of his stature and pedigree coming in and the position that he’s in in terms of the prospect of everything, he’ll just do whatever we ask him to do. And as he’s learned more about how to play college basketball, get used to the physicality, understand the terminology, understand the nuances of defense, offense, he’s still an emerging player but he’s not acting like an entitled, five-star recruit that thinks the world revolves around him.

“He wants to please UConn, and I think that’s beautiful.”

Alternate access:

Why UConn’s Stephon Castle is as advertised; Huskies show they can win rock fights, too

Reaction Score
“Andre is more of a deep thinker and an over thinker, where Steph just keeps playing and maybe kind of thinks a little bit less out there,” Hurley said. “The 3s he’s taking, the mechanics look great, they look really good. He keeps having 2-for-4 type of nights and they’ll start doing it less.”

“The thing about this kid, man, is he is not reading mock drafts, he’s not huddling up with his agent, he’s got parents at home that (say), ‘If your coach is telling you to screen, screen,'” Hurley said. “For a kid of his stature and pedigree coming in and the position that he’s in in terms of the prospect of everything, he’ll just do whatever we ask him to do. And as he’s learned more about how to play college basketball, get used to the physicality, understand the terminology, understand the nuances of defense, offense, he’s still an emerging player but he’s not acting like an entitled, five-star recruit that thinks the world revolves around him.

“He wants to please UConn, and I think that’s beautiful.”

Alternate access:

Why UConn’s Stephon Castle is as advertised; Huskies show they can win rock fights, too

He's really the perfect 5* talent to bring in to the program. We got very lucky. Too many of these guys are divas and all about me-me-me. Steph is a team first guy... Defense isn't sexy but he's totally bought in. Rarely takes a bad shot, finds the open shooter, hypes up his team. Love it.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I loved how we got Castle going with a couple of floaters in the paint to start the game. The more he hits those and pull ups in general it makes big have to step away from the rim.

When he’s at the FT line area and they have to play up on him it makes it easy for him to get to the basket as we saw last night. He seems like he’s really getting comfortable and figuring it out as the 3s he’s making shows.

I could see him being a guy who scores at will by March. Especially with the weapons around him that will always keep lanes clear.

Reaction Score
Connecticut’s Stephon Castle certainly has a case to make. He’s impacted winning on both ends of the floor for the No. 1-ranked team in the country. But scouts are still concerned about his outside shooting (24% from three). And with both Tristen Newton and Cam Spencer out of eligibility after this season, it might make sense for him to return as UConn’s primary creator next season.

Reaction Score
I think the Jimmy Butler comp is the best one i’ve seen thus far.
IMG_3382.gif

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Seems mental. He gets a funny hitch which messes up the rhythm of his shot. He seems to miss the first and make the second--similar to DC.
Yes. I think he is feeling for the shot instead of believing he won’t miss. I would still love him to stay next year. I like when UConn has very good players.

Reaction Score
Yes. I think he is feeling for the shot instead of believing he won’t miss. I would still love him to stay next year. I like when UConn has very good players.
We need to have Richard Hamilton speak to the team every year at the start of Fall practice and let them know he never, ever, ever, thought if he missed a shot he wouldn't take the next one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom