Cassie Kerns article (merged threads) | The Boneyard

Cassie Kerns article (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A sad story. I'm glad she's a peace with herself now.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I thought I saw Cassie in the crowd Sunday. She looked great.

I hope Cassie's, and Shea's, stories can help others. And to my fellow fans, can we please stick to discussing fitness rather than weight? I've spoken to parents this weekend who confirmed what I already know - families and players read the board. Discussing, even criticizing, skills or play is understood and expected. Let's talk about the basketball player and leave personal comments out.

For those who missed it the first time, Shea's story -
Shea's Inner Foe

Reaction Score

I hope Cassie's, and Shea's, stories can help others. And to my fellow fans, can we please stick to discussing fitness rather than weight? I've spoken to parents this weekend who confirmed what I already know - families and players read the board. Discussing, even criticizing, skills or play is understood and expected. Let's talk about the basketball player and leave personal comments out.

Shea's Inner Foe
I hope Cassie will come to the game tonight and would like to cheer for her too.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Shea's Inner Foe
And I would like people also to think about the 'I can't understand why _____ doesn't want to commit to Uconn. Must mean they don't want to be .....' threads and posts. Who knows whether Kerns at another school would have had the same problems (she probably would have) but school choice is never about just basketball, or just academics, or just ....
And that we also temper the less than pleasant comments about players who choose to transfers from Uconn or from any other school.
For many kids, the shock of going to college is traumatic and it can exacerbate existing or latent issues or create new ones. I saw this when I was at college and experienced some of it myself - fulfilling other's expectations more than my own. I survived and thrived, but I also know both people who did not 'thrive' and a few who literally didn't survive.

I am very happy that Cassie appears to be thriving and is able to share some of her story.

And it is a reminder to us all that basketball or any singular pursuit is not the most important thing in the life of a young person or anyone - health and happiness trump it every time.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
husky_group.jpeg

Yes. She was.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Who is that with GENO NEVER STOPS shirt? My memory is shot.

Reaction Score
I always thought that as a player a strong breeze could knock Cassie Kerns over, as she looked so weak on the court. No wonder, with the eating disorders she had at the time. Whatever the case, I was quite pleased when from the stands I saw Cassie Kerns with all the former Husky players on the court following the championship game. It's also good that she is able to make a living through her art these days.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Poor kid. I had no idea. What's even sadder is that she was going through it and none of her teammates or coaches had any idea. She must have had a tremendous ability to hide it if her roommate didn't even know she was bulimic. That's not the kind of thing that's easy to hide in close quarters.

Wish her the best as she moves forward and onward with her life. I hope that the therapy is able to help her move beyond the pain and self loathing. :(

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Posted before with quite a long discussion thread.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Posted before with quite a long discussion thread.
Oops. Got a link? The article is only 5 days old so I didn't look too far back. FOUND IT. NEVER MIND.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Oops. Got a link? The article is only 5 days old so I didn't look too far back. FOUND IT. NEVER MIND.
Probably should post the link for others who missed it.

Reaction Score
You never know the pain hidden behind a smile. Be nice to each other. We're all on this ride together.

So true, Rocky. I am just glad that Cassie was able to find some way to cope with her demons.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
This story touched me in several ways. There is so much I'd like to say, but this board is about sports. I'll honor that.

But please - don't be afraid to intervene when someone in your midst is struggling with depression. It is a treatable and very often curable disease. If untreated though, it is often fatal.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Cassie is cool and pushing forward... she says she better at talking about these days. It was nice to see her with the rest of the former players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom