Caron Butler didn’t see himself coaching ... now he can’t see himself doing anything else | The Boneyard

Caron Butler didn’t see himself coaching ... now he can’t see himself doing anything else

Reaction Score
“I didn’t know that I was going to fall in love with the game and the teaching and all those things,” Butler said to the Miami Herald. “But it’s something that I just can’t see myself not doing now because of the connection with the players and seeing them get it and the information that you instill in them. That feeling is priceless.”

Alternate access:
Caron Butler didn’t see himself coaching ... now he can’t see himself doing anything else

Reaction Score
“I didn’t know that I was going to fall in love with the game and the teaching and all those things,” Butler said to the Miami Herald. “But it’s something that I just can’t see myself not doing now because of the connection with the players and seeing them get it and the information that you instill in them. That feeling is priceless.”

Alternate access:
Talented guy who really connects with people.. Glad he gave coaching a try.. He's a natural at it.

Reaction Score
Given the obstacles this guy has overcome in his lifetime, never bet against him.

Great Caron story. He gets traded to the Lakers. In his first game (preseason maybe?), he goes off for 30 points or some such number. After the game Kobe Bryant comes ove to him and says, "Don't get used to it."

Reaction Score
Caron is my #1 Husky of all time. Not sure exactly why, just loved how he played - loved his story.

I remember driving home from work listening to his press conference announcing he was leaving early for the draft and the amazing things he said about Jim Calhoun. "The father I never had", always stuck with me.

Reaction Score
Caron is my #1 Husky of all time. Not sure exactly why, just loved how he played - loved his story.

I remember driving home from work listening to his press conference announcing he was leaving early for the draft and the amazing things he said about Jim Calhoun. "The father I never had", always stuck with me.
I’m the same way, my favorite also and I can’t exactly explain why. I think to me his talent was just so evident as a freshman. He instantly brought toughness and played bully ball and a finesse with it. I would say he was definitely our toughest player we’ve had here along with talent. I think him in the elite eight is my favorite UConn game of all time. Put on a show and almost took down a stacked Maryland team alone. He was a beast out there and Maryland had no answer for him. Gives me chills just thinking about watching that game in the moment. Sure fire Lotery pick crying because he didn’t want to leave, what a UConn guy and my all time favorite.

Reaction Score

He's about the best story there is anywhere in sports and he was one cop's decision away from it never happening. Caron is an amazing person and he's an example of why second chances are so important.

Reaction Score

I remember that as well. I took this pic last season when Caron was in town and he had a halftime chat with JC. I believe this was the Ok State game.
Resized_20221201_200138.jpeg

Reaction Score
He's about the best story there is anywhere in sports and he was one cop's decision away from it never happening. Caron is an amazing person and he's an example of why second chances ar
Happy for him. When I think of him I remember he attended a surprise birthday party for a teen. Seems like a good dude and now the father of 5.

Reaction Score
I remember that as well. I took this pic last season when Caron was in town and he had a halftime chat with JC. I believe this was the Ok State game. View attachment 89824
Why on earth does Calhoun not have permanent courtside seats? We're sticking him in the last row???

Reaction Score
Why on earth does Calhoun not have permanent courtside seats? We're sticking him in the last row???
Easier to get to rest room and concessions? Maybe he can’t handle stairs at 80.

Reaction Score
My guess is that is his choice. It was the last row of the lower bowl - still great seats. For this game he left early in the 2nd half too.

Reaction Score
TBH..I don't think Jim looks for or needs the spotlight ..Does his own thing in a quiet way.. It's Danny's team.. He's just enjoys being an interested fan and the success UConn is having .. He's been there.. Done that..

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
15 posts in and not a single suggestion of joining the UConn staff or eventually taking over as head coach. I'm floored.

Usually we got those kind of posts about former players who aren't even in coaching lol.

Reaction Score
Given the obstacles this guy has overcome in his lifetime, never bet against him.

Great Caron story. He gets traded to the Lakers. In his first game (preseason maybe?), he goes off for 30 points or some such number. After the game Kobe Bryant comes ove to him and says, "Don't get used to it."
:)

Reaction Score
I’m the same way, my favorite also and I can’t exactly explain why. I think to me his talent was just so evident as a freshman. He instantly brought toughness and played bully ball and a finesse with it. I would say he was definitely our toughest player we’ve had here along with talent. I think him in the elite eight is my favorite UConn game of all time. Put on a show and almost took down a stacked Maryland team alone. He was a beast out there and Maryland had no answer for him. Gives me chills just thinking about watching that game in the moment. Sure fire Lotery pick crying because he didn’t want to leave, what a UConn guy and my all time favorite.
I was at the carrier dome for the Maryland game. Caron put on one of the greatest performances I have ever seen. He played like a beast until the FINAL second. It was really amazing!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
15 posts in and not a single suggestion of joining the UConn staff or eventually taking over as head coach. I'm floored.

Usually we got those kind of posts about former players who aren't even in coaching lol.
We don't have an opening, right? Besides, he's coaching in the pros. Being an assistant at the college level would be a step down in my opinion.

CL82

Reaction Score
Then we should install a stairmaster for him
I don't know why, but picturing this with his waving the crowd on the way down it's just cracking me up.
:D

CL82

Reaction Score
For what it's Tuff Juice is a great read.

Reaction Score
A lot of former players don't make very good coaches, especially guys who had the game come so naturally to them. Coaching someone is a privelege. Players put a huge amount of trust in you. I'm sure Caron will take that seriously considering his background.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We don't have an opening, right? Besides, he's coaching in the pros. Being an assistant at the college level would be a step down in my opinion.

My post if it didn't come through was supposed to be tongue and cheek but sarcasm sometimes doesn't translate on the internet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom