Carolyn Peck outdoes herself again... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Carolyn Peck outdoes herself again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As much as I love Lobo... that's ridiculous. I guarantee with one question I could get her or anyone else to change their answer if they were thinking about choosing Lloyd over Stewie. I dare you to ask any coach in America (while strapped to a lie detector test) if you had to play 2 v 2... yourself and one elite player in the nation vs your spouse and one elite player in the nation and you get to choose first and you can only choose Lloyd or Stewie who would you choose?
My spouse?? Jewell Loyd is 7" taller than my spouse.

Reaction Score
What Muffet is doing is called "part of her job", backing up her own player in public discussion. I can't see why so many here are mystified by this. I don't really think or expect she'd be part of a UConn Booster Club as well as coach of Notre Dame.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
What Muffet is doing is called "part of her job", backing up her own player in public discussion. I can't see why so many here are mystified by this. I don't really think or expect she'd be part of a UConn Booster Club as well as coach of Notre Dame.
Um, because you see Geno pluggin' away for his players??? No, been there, then act like you've been there. ND hasn't been there, or not in 14 years, so then be a whiny muffin and plug a player who shot 10 for 27 against UConn. Agree, with Turner in she'll shoot 10 for 26. Lots of Tourney action to come though.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
It's not the what it's the how. Details...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Um, because you see Geno pluggin' away for his players??? No, been there, then act like you've been there. ND hasn't been there, or not in 14 years, so then be a whiny muffin and plug a player who shot 10 for 27 against UConn. Agree, with Turner in she'll shoot 10 for 26. Lots of Tourney action to come though.
Stewie’s the best player in the country and there are a lot of other really good players in the country,” Auriemma said, via SNY.com's Carl Adamec. “You know how I know? There are 365 Division I coaches. If you put a gun to their head and say, ‘You can only have one player in America, who would you take?’ Anybody who took anyone other than Stewie should just pull the trigger. Stewie just doesn’t go out every night trying to get everybody to say, ‘Wow, she’s the best player in the country.’ She doesn’t do that. That’s not who she is.
“She likes to play basketball, she loves the game, and loves the big games. The bigger the game, the better she plays. When the time is right, when March comes around, Stewie is at her best. Does that mean she’ll deliver all the time? This is a real challenge for Stewie. This is the first time she’s been the oldest player on her team. She was always that great player that had older guys around her to carry her along when things didn’t go well. This year is the first time she’s been that person that everyone looks up to and it’s not easy to be in that situation in Connecticut
.”

Geno: Stewart's Best Player in the Country, NBC Connecticut

"[Breanna] was unbelievable [12-for-20, 29 points at South Florida on Monday]. And they were pretty physical with her," Auriemma said. "I wish this was men's basketball. I wish they treated Stewie with a little more respect. She gets her ass beat every single possession. If you watch a game closely, you would see that no one gets beat up more than that kid does.

"There's a different standard for her than everyone else. … But she's grown up now and she understands there is a different standard for her, a different set of rules for her. I don't know why [she doesn't get more free throws]. Maybe it's because she's the best player in the country and [UConn] is up by 25, so the hell with i
t."

Hartford Courant

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Just one last comment... I find Muffet's campaigning for Loyd to be telling. A NPOY candidate shouldn't need her coach proselytizing on her behalf. I suspect even Muffet doesn't really believe Loyd is the best player in the country.
It worked for Coach GG at Duke the year Alana Beard was NPOY over DT.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"She gets her ass beat every single possession. If you watch a game closely, you would see that no one gets beat up more than that kid does."

That was certainly evident in last night's game. There is a fine line between hard, physical play and chippie play. I thought that ECU crossed the line a couple of times last night.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
6", and Loyd has 3 on Jefferson
YES!!! She does have MoJett there. Speaking of threes... what's Lloyd's 3 point shooting percentage as compared to Jefferson's? This is getting fun now! I love this place. If the BY was a physical location... I'd be there every night after work.

Reaction Score
As much as I love Lobo... that's ridiculous. I guarantee with one question I could get her or anyone else to change their answer if they were thinking about choosing Lloyd over Stewie. I dare you to ask any coach in America (while strapped to a lie detector test) if you had to play 2 v 2... yourself and one elite player in the nation vs your spouse and one elite player in the nation and you get to choose first and you can only choose Lloyd or Stewie who would you choose?

The Answer: Stewie all day...

Why? Because she effects the game at BOTH ends of the court. Frankly, if you can't see that Stewie is the more COMPLETE player... you should get your eyes checked.

Am I lying?
Interesting.

Maybe a better question is who would win a one and one game between these two?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
YES!!! She does have MoJett there. Speaking of threes... what's Lloyd's 3 point shooting percentage as compared to Jefferson's? This is getting fun now! I love this place. If the BY was a physical location... I'd be there every night after work.
We're all at Nan's house most nights. BYOB and some snacks to share and you're in. Last call is 1:00 am.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Stewie’s the best player in the country and there are a lot of other really good players in the country,” Auriemma said, via SNY.com's Carl Adamec. “You know how I know? There are 365 Division I coaches. If you put a gun to their head and say, ‘You can only have one player in America, who would you take?’ Anybody who took anyone other than Stewie should just pull the trigger. Stewie just doesn’t go out every night trying to get everybody to say, ‘Wow, she’s the best player in the country.’ She doesn’t do that. That’s not who she is.
“She likes to play basketball, she loves the game, and loves the big games. The bigger the game, the better she plays. When the time is right, when March comes around, Stewie is at her best. Does that mean she’ll deliver all the time? This is a real challenge for Stewie. This is the first time she’s been the oldest player on her team. She was always that great player that had older guys around her to carry her along when things didn’t go well. This year is the first time she’s been that person that everyone looks up to and it’s not easy to be in that situation in Connecticut
.”

"[Breanna] was unbelievable [12-for-20, 29 points at South Florida on Monday]. And they were pretty physical with her," Auriemma said. "I wish this was men's basketball. I wish they treated Stewie with a little more respect. She gets her ass beat every single possession. If you watch a game closely, you would see that no one gets beat up more than that kid does.

"There's a different standard for her than everyone else. … But she's grown up now and she understands there is a different standard for her, a different set of rules for her. I don't know why [she doesn't get more free throws]. Maybe it's because she's the best player in the country and [UConn] is up by 25, so the hell with i
t."

Hartford Courant
"If you're the national player of the year or the greatest thing that's ever walked the face of the Earth playing basketball. There's a certain level of play that I've been accustomed to at Connecticut. If you're not there, then you're not playing."

Geno Auriemma on benching Breanna Stewart during Memphis game.

He has also mixed the laudatory stuff he says around awards time with a lot of critical comments about her defense, passing, and effort this year, and he also will play her up to highlight how teams mug the NPOY. Is it the same type of stuff as Muffet Sit-on-hands says? Depends on perspective, I guess.

Reaction Score
Go watch all her interviews during March of last season, guarantee you will hear the same exact talk of Kayla McBride last year. Obviously, we all knew ND didn't have a NPOY last year either. Honestly, sometimes Muffets comments make her sound so amateur.

Every year she says the same thing about a player she is promoting for some trophy. As for Lloyd; she is a rather special player and we do not know about the little things that go into NPOY. Although every team (college or WNBA) would take Stewart in a flash, playing in the AAC will hurt her and other Uconn players when it comes to these matters. For ex: her playing time is down and she is not required to put up unlimited shots and from whereever. Lloyd on the other hand has no equal on her team and must carry much of the weight. That is Lloyd is ND in a way that Stewart isn't Uconn. NPOY isn't all that important in my view. I'd rather have us go for AA for Jefferson, Stewart and KML as sureity. Let the others gather flowers, we will continue to reap our harvests of fruits.

Reaction Score
Every year she says the same thing about a player she is promoting for some trophy. As for Lloyd; she is a rather special player and we do not know about the little things that go into NPOY. Although every team (college or WNBA) would take Stewart in a flash, playing in the AAC will hurt her and other Uconn players when it comes to these matters. For ex: her playing time is down and she is not required to put up unlimited shots and from whereever. Lloyd on the other hand has no equal on her team and must carry much of the weight. That is Lloyd is ND in a way that Stewart isn't Uconn. NPOY isn't all that important in my view. I'd rather have us go for AA for Jefferson, Stewart and KML as sureity. Let the others gather flowers, we will continue to reap our harvests of fruits.
agree! Stewart set herself up to win 4 NCAA championships not for 4 NPOY. Besides, if she were also up for WNBA lottery pick this year, who would pick Lloyd over her?

Reaction Score

The Answer: Stewie all day...

Why? Because she effects the game at BOTH ends of the court. Frankly, if you can't see that Stewie is the more COMPLETE player... you should get your eyes checked.

Am I lying?
I can see the reasoning for Loyd to be POY, because she has less around her and may have to carry more of the load, but there is no way that she is a better player than Stewie! So I guess that is the question. What does POY mean?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Let me end this debate once and for all...

Stewart is the Player of the Year.

So I have written...

so it shall be done!

seti2.jpg

As you wish!

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score

I posted the numbers earlier in the thread, but The Boneyard seems determined to muck with the formatting, so...

Jefferson FG% -> .574, 3FG%-> .500
Loyd FG% -> .466, 3FG% -> .337

Pretty substantial edge to Moriah.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
If Muffet was P.O.d because Stewart beat McBride for POY last year, her head might explode if Stewart beats out Loyd this year.

Reaction Score
.”

t."

Hartford Courant
Great minds think alike, POY Candidates, lol. Indeed, this is the litmus test. Who is the first player any one would pick to start a team? Geno is also spot on about the abuse that Stewart endures to get in post position. If the officials applied the 'freedom of movement' rule to Brianna, she would be throwing up 2 footers all game long, but I guess it would not make the game all that interesting.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Stewart is the NPOY not only because of her skill, but because she has physical capabilities (like Parker) that no one else has. She's who you want to build a team around.

As far as Jefferson vs Loyd, hard to compare since they are asked to do very different things for their team. Loyd is obviously ND's best player and is asked to be their leading scorer pretty much every night. Jefferson is a point guard on a team with other All Americans, and is the team's 3rd or 4th option on offense. That and the relative lack of competition in the AAC explains the big difference in FG %. Easier to say that Jefferson is best PG, Loyd is best SG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom