Caroline | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Caroline

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, the point guard has a hand in who gets to shoot... unfortunately, after watching the Oregon game twice, I had confirmed what I've seen before: Nika rarely passes the ball to Caroline when she's wide open (as well as not early enough to Dorka and Olivia in the post). The best scoring chances Caroline gets is when she receives passes from Liv. Nika gets raves from so many for all the great things she brings as point guard. Just what are those things?

If she doesn't score, doesn't get many assists and turns it over often, how is it that she's the point guard so many believe she is? (and a close look at the defense she plays might dissuade a few folks about the supposedly standout D she gives the Huskies).

Yes, I understand our sad state of affairs as far as guards available, and I know Evina isn't playing well, but when some here criticize Dorka, Evina or Caroline, they need to remember just who it is supposedly initiating the half-court offense.

Here's hoping Nika can turn in the kind of 12-point, six-assist, 2 TOs game vs. Seton Hall that we'd need from her to give the Huskies a much better chance to win.
I’m not sure why someone gave you a thumbs down on your post because you’re correct. Nika sees a player in the lane too late for them to get the ball before the defense gets there. Even the announcers during the Oregon game kept saying “She missed Nelson Ododa. She was open on the baseline for a moment”. Getting the ball late happens to Dorka, too. Meg Culmo has said a million times, when a post player shows you her numbers, you have to get her the ball. If Dorka gets it at all, it’s usually in a bad position and she ends up with a turnover.

1642770878470.jpeg

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I’m not sure why someone gave you a thumbs down on your post because you’re correct. Nika sees a player in the lane too late for them to get the ball before the defense gets there. Even the announcers during the Oregon game kept saying “She missed Nelson Ododa. She was open on the baseline for a moment”. Getting the ball late happens to Dorka, too. Meg Culmo has said a million times, when a post player shows you her numbers, you have to get her the ball. If Dorka gets it at all, it’s usually in a bad position and she ends up with a turnover.

View attachment 72581
Yes, yes, yes! Westbrook is also guilty of that. I would think the coaches would address that and, maybe they have.

sun

Reaction Score
And put in who? Who will take a shot with the shot clock at 2? Who’s going to help handle the ball? Who will shoot threes to keep the defense packing the lane?
There's always 4 other players on the court.
There's also mid-range shots that can be taken, and there's always the RB's from missed shots.
If more players can't make shots other than 3's then that would mean that UConn doesn't deserve to win.
Either they find a way to sink some shots or they lose.
You don't think that Caroline will score 50 or 60 points all by herself do you?
Dribbling to get open is part of the game for all of the guards.
And that's why they have picks, and kicking the ball back out after penetrating.
These players went to the FF, they should know that.
Geno should make them watch videos of some UConn games to show them what to do.
Maybe some of them drink too much coffee before the game and it makes them forget.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There's always 4 other players on the court.
There's also mid-range shots that can be taken, and there's always the RB's from missed shots.
If more players can't make shots other than 3's then that would mean that UConn doesn't deserve to win.
Either they find a way to sink some shots or they lose.
You don't think that Caroline will score 50 or 60 points all by herself do you?
Dribbling to get open is part of the game for all of the guards.
And that's why they have picks, and kicking the ball back out after penetrating.
These players went to the FF, they should know that.
Geno should make them watch videos of some UConn games to show them what to do.
Maybe some of them drink too much coffee before the game and it makes them forget.
The only players making mid-range shots are Liv and Caroline. Who else have you seen make them with any kind of consistency?

You talk a lot about what SHOULD happen but this team hasn’t been doing most of that this season for some reason. It’s like you haven’t watched them at all.

PvP

Reaction Score
The Nika motor needs to run at 80%, just like a golfer needs to swing at that pace. She will then not dribble into double teams. She will see earlier who is open to pass and get the passes into shooter earlier. Our guard coaches have to drill this into her.
The mom needs new batteries and get her pace up to 80%. Don't dribble do much, more passing and open court offense is needed. Please run the offense without a 10+ second rundown of the clock setting up a stagnate half-court offense. Keep the bigs fresh with minutes from our promising bench core. Play zone when they come in, make the opponents shoot three. We win!
The problem, since Shea Ralph left, is that we don't have a guards coach and it shows in what Geno call our "bad guard play".

sun

Reaction Score
The problem, since Shea Ralph left, is that we don't have a guards coach and it shows in what Geno call our "bad guard play".
Morgan Valley was a UConn guard for 4 years and is an assistant coach.
She must be the guard coach.

Reaction Score
The only players making mid-range shots is Liv and Caroline. Who else have you seen make them with any kind of consistency?

You talk a lot about what SHOULD happen but this team hasn’t been doing most of that this season for some reason. It’s like you haven’t watched them at all.
Couldn't agree more. Not looking to create an enemies, but this guy (sun) is so negative it's hard to believe he's a fan at all. He writes like the rest of us have never seen a basketball before, never watched a game, never played the game, have no ability to analyze and/or clearly see what needs to be done, etc., etc. If only we had all our tools (players) to work with our season undoubtedly would be a lot different. Many times when people try so hard to impress others with their Monday Morning QB skills, they actually do just the opposite.

Reaction Score
Would you bet on those percentages not getting farther apart by Mach? (In Caroline’s favor)

It's March. CW is now at .371(39-105) while CD is now at .287(29-101).

I'm very happy for CW- she's stepped-up her 3pt shooting in the home stretch of her UCONN career- a very Senior thing to do.

As said previously, if CW, PB, and CD can improve their 3pt %, we've got a great shot at the FF.

Before the Oregon game, CD shot .347 from 3, on 17-49 shooting. That's exactly .020 points higher than Christyn, who has shot 17-52, for .327.

Yet, some fans seem to think CD, now at .316, is a better/much better long-range shooter.

it’s also the context of shot selection. cristyn’s shots are all relatively wide open (the defender slacks and has to recover). while caroline‘s is being guarded more closely than any other guard. if you pay attention to shot selection, when caroline is wide open she makes them extremely consistently. coaching staff should address that and have the team set more screens for her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Chris Dailey said on the radio post-game show that Caroline is just starting to feel 100% but hasn't yet played at the level she was at before the head injury. Hopefully she'll be the pre-injury Caroline in the BET.

Reaction Score
Stop looking back.
That is so yesterday….
The future is now and it so much brighter now.
We have our swagger back and you can bet opposing players and coaches understand that
UCONN is back to being UCONN….they will fear us….we are still UCONN from the block.
And again….do not fear, PAIGE is here.

Reaction Score
Anyone notice her grimacing on the bench yesterday? Just love watching the kid. My all time favorite college player was Bradley….her play is so comparable!

Reaction Score
I think Caroline is most effective around the basket. She has such a quick release and usually a hieght advantage over a guard in matchups. She also has a great pull mid range game and runs the break well and as we can see she alo can pass as the shovel pass to Dorka yesterday for the finish. When I watched her shoot pre UConn she was squared up and was not running around screens. and also took her time on the set up for the shot. Azzi has seemed to adjust better on her setup for the screening than Caroline on her 3 point shot. Caroline is someone who will better at it, I am sure. She is a scorer. The silent asassin!!!!!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The thing that really impresses me about Caroline is what a soft touch she has around the rim. With players around her she is able to simply get the ball on the rim, which allows the ball to stay within the rim as well as just kiss off of the backboard.

Reaction Score
Stop looking back.
That is so yesterday….
The future is now and it so much brighter now.
We have our swagger back and you can bet opposing players and coaches understand that
UCONN is back to being UCONN….they will fear us….we are still UCONN from the block.
And again….do not fear, PAIGE is here.

Is "Stop looking back." directed toward me? If so, why? I'm showing a great improvement by CW on her 3 pt shooting percentage. It's a tribute to her practice and focus as she heads down the stretch of her final season here.

"Don't look back"??? Bascom, Lobo, Rizotti, Wolters, Ralph, Svet, Sue, Swin, ad infinitum, no back-back losses in 19 seasons, 13 straight FFs, 11 National Championships...you can bet your butt I look back! WE ARE THE PREMIER PROGRAM IN THE SPORTS HISTORY. WE LOOK BACK!

Reaction Score
Is "Stop looking back." directed toward me? If so, why? I'm showing a great improvement by CW on her 3 pt shooting percentage. It's a tribute to her practice and focus as she heads down the stretch of her final season here.

"Don't look back"??? Bascom, Lobo, Rizotti, Wolters, Ralph, Svet, Sue, Swin, ad infinitum, no back-back losses in 19 seasons, 13 straight FFs, 11 National Championships...you can bet your butt I look back! WE ARE THE PREMIER PROGRAM IN THE SPORTS HISTORY. WE LOOK BACK!
Not to you
To the injuries…setbacks and reasons for the losses….not you but for everyone to know is a new start….a new and better team better chemistry etc etc….just that
G-D Bless

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It's March. CW is now at .371(39-105) while CD is now at .287(29-101).

I'm very happy for CW- she's stepped-up her 3pt shooting in the home stretch of her UCONN career- a very Senior thing to do.

As said previously, if CW, PB, and CD can improve their 3pt %, we've got a great shot at the FF.
You do realize that Caroline got smacked in the head, more than once, and is still on the court while she recovers, right? And she is still giving her all for this team.

Reaction Score
You do realize that Caroline got smacked in the head, more than once, and is still on the court while she recovers, right? And she is still giving her all for this team.

I'm aware of CD's injuries and of her 3pt % before them.

I hope you're not suggesting the coaching staff is playing CD before she's recovered from said injuries. If she's on the court, she's good to go, no?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm aware of CD's injuries and of her 3pt % before them.

I hope you're not suggesting the coaching staff is playing CD before she's recovered from said injuries. If she's on the court, she's good to go, no?
I am not suggesting anything but nice of you to take something that Chris Dailey said, as recently as yesterday, and twist it to suit your needs. Time for me to go.

Reaction Score
she better not be. Who said this?

Reaction Score
I can’t believe people are throwing shade at Caroline for her shooting against Oregon. Yes, she was 1-8 from three but she was 9-13 from two with slashes to the basket, fast break points, jumpers, and that underhand scoop shot that I haven’t seen a Husky make consistently since Maya graduated. Caroline can create her own shot, something that Paige can do, maybe Azzi, but no one else.

The kid is a freshman who just played her 12th college game. She is also, suddenly, a focus of the opponent’s defense, like Liv. While Caroline’s scoring hasn’t suffered due to the double teams and added attention, her shooting percentage has. That’s youth. In a year or two, she’ll learn how to use the defender’s aggressiveness to draw some fouls and get to the line - where she’s 85% from the FT line.

One more thing about the missed threes. She HAS to shoot those or else there will be 4 defenders on Liv in the paint. Opposing coaches know she’s a threat from the perimeter and has to be guarded. That adds real value to the team. Keep shooting, Caroline!
Caroline is amazing. As you say ONLY 12 games into a College career. 8 months away from high school, not highly recruited, from a smaller conference/league. She has performed as well as my former Uconn favorite, Sue Bifd. Caroline, like Sue, when she makes a mistake she keeps moving on and does something to make up for it, immediately. She played defense as well or better than some current seniors. She kept Uconn in games they'd have lost without her.
She is owed respect
She earned a few --mess ups (if she ever has one.
Yep, I like CD!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom