Caroline out for Texas [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Caroline out for Texas [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I would not presume to offer an opinion on what Caroline should or shouldn't do. I'm sure she is getting advise and counsel from loved ones and from medical professionals and as long as she is hopeful of getting back on the floor, I will be too. Geno, on the other hand, has got to be wondering whether this "will she? No, not today." cycle is distracting. Seems obvious that, going forward, he needs "without Caroline" to be baseline for practice. Frankly, I'd be surprised if they haven't already made that adjustment.

Reaction Score
I don't agree that Carol should end her season or her once in a lifetime UConn career prematurely.
I'm sure that she's not happy about her situation.
However, she wouldn't have even started the season if she hadn't improved enough since last year to play in games & participate in practices at a high enough level to believe that she could contribute.
With Azzi being injured she probably feels even more compelled to help the team this season.

I imagine that she's had conversations with Geno & the staff about her condition & progress.
Quite frankly I don't see how she harms the team by remaining eligible to play this year considering that Geno makes the final decision about whether she will actually play or not.
As a matter of fact, deciding to red shirt may actually extend her displeasure with her situaltion at UConn even more than if deciding to continue to remain eligible.
It may even be therapuutic for her to look forward to improving enough to practice & to work out on an individual basis as much as possible.

We really don't know all of the facts or how she's being advised by the staff & medical experts.
But I doubt that anyone wants to see her end her carreer or season prematurely if it can be avoided by simply remaining eligible.
She can always choose to quit the season if her situation doesn't improve, but that may only extend her long term pain if her situation at UConn stagnates.
She's probably trying to maintain her skills because she absolutely believes that can contrinute.
I doubt that anyone knows her situation better than she does since she's the only one who knows how much that she's improved since last season.
There is a lot of speculation in your post and zero direct knowledge of anything relating to Caroline's injuries/health. Should have just stopped with the first sentence in your post.

sun

Reaction Score
There is a lot of speculation in your post and zero direct knowledge of anything relating to Caroline's injuries/health. Should have just stopped with the first sentence in your post.
What's not speculation is that only 2 weeks ago Geno boasted about how Carol made 10 out of 11 three point shots in practice.
Yet now some fans are clamoring for Carol to quit playing basketball.
I doubt that anyone important in her life has advised her to quit the team.

Reaction Score
Caroline should, given medical clearance , decide what she is able to do. Geno of course has to weigh it all against impact on team. But frankly a potentially larger distraction is a message he didn't do all he could to support Caroline. Kids I am sure on the ground now better than us what is real. If u all are really concerned about supporting than do so. Do not just say as a vail over how does it impact our wins which is frankly what seems to behind a number of posts.

Reaction Score
Caroline should, given medical clearance , decide what she is able to do. Geno of course has to weigh it all against impact on team. But frankly a potentially larger distraction is a message he didn't do all he could to support Caroline. Kids I am sure on the ground now better than us what is real. If u all are really concerned about supporting than do so. Do not just say as a vail over how does it impact our wins which is frankly what seems to behind a number of posts.
?

Reaction Score
I have been thinking for a while that Caroline should retire from the game. Head/neck injuries that persist, must be taken seriously. We'll see what happens. But her "problem" ( neck?) is obviously not a quick fix. This is dismaying, but not a surprise.
Exactly. Or shut her down for the remainder of the season, and see how she feels next year. Multiple concussions, with symptoms lasting years. Extremely serious. Just tell her no more basketball this season.

Reaction Score
I agree, Caroline needs to give up basketball. Anyone who has seen the movie "Concussion" knows that damage from head injuries is cumulative. How could she possibly be able to play with constant fear that the next blow could be life-altering?
Let's stop using the "head injuries" dodge, they're concussions.

Reaction Score
Caroline's situation reminds me of what hockey player Marc Savard endured after suffering several concussions in his career. The last concussion wasn't from a huge hit just a regular check but the after effects lasted a few years- headaches, seeing lights, dizziness, etc. the whole post concussion syndrome. For a long time he couldn't work at all. Finally his brain healed and he is now a successful coach.

I fear Caroline is going through the same thing she just hasn't reached the point where she knows she has to let basketball go if she's going to have a chance at a healthy future.:(

Reaction Score
I have been thinking for a while that Caroline should retire from the game. Head/neck injuries that persist, must be taken seriously. We'll see what happens. But her "problem" ( neck?) is obviously not a quick fix. This is dismaying, but not a surprise.
I have a question; Are her neck spasms a derivative of concussions? I wood think not, but I am not a Doctor.

Reaction Score
I think it’s time for Caroline and her parents to re-evaluate her health concerns. Concussions and the aftermath can have long term consequences, as we know. Consistently sitting with ice bags, and ear plugs isn’t good. And, since she’s not playing on a consistent basis it’s hard to shake off the rust when she does.

Reaction Score
Let's stop using the "head injuries" dodge, they're concussions.

Not a doge, just semantics.

From a respected medical site:

"This information is for anyone who has had a mild head injury (also known as concussion )"

Reaction Score
I have a question; Are her neck spasms a derivative of concussions? I wood think not, but I am not a Doctor.
Not derivative of concussions but perhaps from the same hits to the head.

Reaction Score
They can be a result of a concussion:

Many people have neck pain after a concussion or whiplash injury. It may show up immediately after your injury or weeks to months afterward. That pain may involve stiffness, tension, sharp pain, and pain associated with certain movements or behaviors (e.g., looking at your phone). The pain may feel deep or superficial.

Reaction Score
anyone know if caroline will be out of action today? i might want to adjust my prediction :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom