Caroline Conundrum | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Caroline Conundrum

Reaction Score
Her BBall IQ or whatever is going on is not helping her. Twice she dribbled into the corner and got trapped. Head scratcher.
B&C
This was a major problem late in the game along with dribbling along the sideline and allowing herself to get trapped on the quick double teams of P. Kados to P and their game plan. It was great and we had few answers. Why we didn't try to inbound into the center of the backcourt was a serious failing and resulted in many turnovers as we saw. We also held on to the ball much to long with indecision on our player's part. Perhaps, due to lack of playing time, the game is too fast for her at this point. Hope that changes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The one thing I noticed in the Princeton game because the camera focused on Caroline for a moment was that she was grasping for breath more than others in a timeout. Others have said with her hip surgery she was rehabing all summer and only started to practice in the fall and not fully. She was kept out of the first game by Geno and he has been slowly rotating her into games but now is forced to start her.
I think in time she will get her game speed and legs under her. So lets give her a chance. We all have seen what she can do when right.
She just started some basic preseason prep - shooting drills, etc -in August.

Ducharme is making the most of her summer. Her surgery was a success and she expects to be ready for the upcoming season. Recently, she began shooting again without much jumping, and she has spent some time on the treadmill, jogging a little on an Alter-G machine.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As I've said before, all you need do is watch Caroline and you can see her mechanics are off across the board. She doesn't raise, turn, or lower her head well. She doesn't cut and turn well. She pushes the ball toward the rim instead of shooting it. That long down court pass she was making last year isn't there. She doesn't seem to raise her hands above her head well. Her dribble up court is mechanical. After her drive to the basket when she tries to extend her arms she over extends and doesn't raise her head enough. For a young woman that was noted for getting the ball on the rim as a freshman she continues to not even get rim on layups. When she gets the ball at the arc or on the block the pump fake isn't there. All this seems to be physical problems and not conditioning problems to me.

Reaction Score
As I've said before, all you need do is watch Caroline and you can see her mechanics are off across the board. She doesn't raise, turn, or lower her head well. She doesn't cut and turn well. She pushes the ball toward the rim instead of shooting it. That long down court pass she was making last year isn't there. She doesn't seem to raise her hands above her head well. Her dribble up court is mechanical. After her drive to the basket when she tries to extend her arms she over extends and doesn't raise her head enough. For a young woman that was noted for getting the ball on the rim as a freshman she continues to not even get rim on layups. When she gets the ball at the arc or on the block the pump fake isn't there. All this seems to be physical problems and not conditioning problems to me.
Hey Jordy. Were, or are, you a coach? Your observations are quite impressive. Definitely a level of understanding way beyond mine. I appreciate it.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Hey Jordy. Were, or are, you a coach? Your observations are quite impressive. Definitely a level of understanding way beyond mine. I appreciate it.
I'm going to make a confession, and I've said this before: I cheat. I watch games multiple times specifically looking for certain things every time. With Caroline it was easy. I record every game on my computer (and predictably, my media computer was acting up last game), although I appreciate MJL243's work immensely. I've said it before, but that guy deserves a GoFundMe. Geno likes to work out of certain offensive sets, (it is required viewing for every UConn fan to watch his 5 episodes of "X's and O"s with Geno Auriemma on YouTube) and I like to see how different players work those sets. If you know the actions he's running then you can see how effectively each player works off those actions and/or which variations individual player work best. Basketball and comedy may be funny games, but both are very serious business.

Reaction Score
No question Caroline is going through a rough scoring drought and we don't know why. Every time she takes a shot, I'm praying that it goes in and it propels her to get back on track. Having said that she does so many more things defensively that helps this team, not to mention the assists she provides. I for one have been in her corner from the beginning. She has been through so much. I am looking forward to her getting back to her last year scoring frenzy.
Caroline is in a funk. Why, I could list 20 possibilities, none would be correct.
I agree she defended, better than ok, she fed the ball to LOU often. She, as others were, was beat up under the boards and later in the corners was hit with flailing hands and arms of 3 or 4 defenders. (Where were the 3 or 4 Uconn that were Open then ??) It was Berube's plan to attack/swarm, immediately, the guard getting the input pass, it worked.
I'm a unapologetic Caroline fan. Im hope she recovers and plays well, if that never happens---I'll be Carolines FAN.

Reaction Score
I'm going to make a confession, and I've said this before: I cheat. I watch games multiple times specifically looking for certain things every time. With Caroline it was easy. I record every game on my computer (and predictably, my media computer was acting up last game), although I appreciate MJL243's work immensely. I've said it before, but that guy deserves a GoFundMe. Geno likes to work out of certain offensive sets, (it is required viewing for every UConn fan to watch his 5 episodes of "X's and O"s with Geno Auriemma on YouTube) and I like to see how different players work those sets. If you know the actions he's running then you can see how effectively each player works off those actions and/or which variations individual player work best. Basketball and comedy may be funny games, but both are very serious business.
Are you fiddling, with the fiddle as you rewatch the game?
I to am Impressed with your observations, especially during the ND game. You should be writing the ESSENTIAL Game analysis aft ther games.

Reaction Score
The way things are going with this team, she will get quite a lot of court time. She needs to be offensively productive. Right now, many shots aren’t even close. With Azzi out, teams can focus on stopping Lou. We need CD to start knocking down shots. We squeaked by Princeton but more point production will be needed going forward.
It’s going to happen. Sooner than later I hope. She sure is trying to make it happen.

Reaction Score
I watched the replay and those times when Caroline “dribbled into corners” may not have been entirely her fault. In one of them, she crossed the half court line and picked up her dribble expecting to pass right away. But Inês came too close and brought her defender over.

Reaction Score
I too was expecting Caroline to step up these past few games, especially following the Iowa game where she came alive offensively. But watching her last night I'm truly concerned. Her efforts from 3 were not even close. She had one good post move but otherwise looked quite pedestrian. Otherwise she looked completely out of sync. I hope she comes around soon because we desprately need her and she's been one of my favorite players. Should be interesting Sunday.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Are you fiddling, with the fiddle as you rewatch the game?
I to am Impressed with your observations, especially during the ND game. You should be writing the ESSENTIAL Game analysis aft ther games.
Nah. I'll leave that stuff for others, who do a good job of it. I say spit when I have something to say, rather than talk (write) just to see my own words. I also like to occasionally keep it light, though some find my humor annoying, out of place, or even condescending. I love the Husky's and I love the BY, but in the long run it's only a game, not life and death. Not when I have the rent coming the end of every month.

Reaction Score
Or covering a neck tattoo.
Really that is where you want to go ??? With all due respect any knowledge of the team or injuries and recovery time?
We’re now in December. I’m not sure that her current level of play is a result of any physical issues.
This comment deserves a ton of thumbs down for lack of knowledge of the game. I don't go there. That and understanding of recovery time from multiple medical procedures. Caroline has played under duress, neck, back, hip, with players going down to injury. She still gets on the floor giving it her all.
Just because it's December does not replace physical issues. As for myself I am hoping for some of the walking wounded to be ready to tune up in February.... That to prepare for March.... ;)

Reaction Score
I wish I could understand why her conditioning remains so poor into December. Clearly not in game shape. Understandably difficult to recover from the kind of concussion she suffered last year under the best of circumstances. But I would need to see a level of physical fitness at least approaching that of her teammates as a first step towards believing she can once again be the player she was in the earlier stages of last season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even though she had some mistakes and missed on most of her shots, she also did some things well at times. I saw her play decent defense (she still got beat at times), and I didn't see her huffing and puffing like others described, and the Princeton game was by far the most she's played in a game this year. She's cutting to the basket as before (sometimes fouling and getting called for the charge), and she did make the nice move to the basket for the one score she did get.

So, I'm optimistic that she will be contributing more this next game against Maryland. I'm predicting she will get ten points or more. Princeton is a decent squad despite their record and played their A game against UConn, and getting tested like that will pay off in the future for us and also benefit Caroline in the games ahead.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
... She doesn't raise, turn, or lower her head well. She doesn't cut and turn well. .... She doesn't seem to raise her hands above her head well. Her dribble up court is mechanical. After her drive to the basket when she tries to extend her arms she over extends and doesn't raise her head enough. For a young woman that was noted for getting the ball on the rim as a freshman she continues to not even get rim on layups. ... All this seems to be physical problems and not conditioning problems to me.
symptoms you cite here seem to indicate neurological trouble, which gibes well with the multiple head blows that had her sitting out a string of games last january (or february or march). when caroline finally returned, she didn't play like herself, and she hasn't since.

i've dealt with neurological difficulties and they are hard to pin down sometimes. the folks at storrs perhaps have not even considered this as a possible cause for caroline's woes. if she is suffering from this, it easily could manifest as changes in coordination, balance, vision, reaction time and the like which clearly would be horrible on the basketball court but not necessarily noticeable in day-to-day activities. basketball skills could be affected while caroline appears to be fine physically. conditioning could be a non-issue and lack of practice also could be beside the point.

it's worth considering in this situation. i don't believe it has been, at least not in the BY.

but of course maybe an injection of confidence, or better conditioning, or more practice time -- or simply more time to recover from surgery -- are the paths to renewal of the 'old' caroline.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It would make sense that she would lack some explosiveness after not using her leg muscles for maybe months after the surgery. That's a big part of her game. I'm sure she's doing her rehab but it's going to take more time. I have faith in her but we may not see her best this year.

Reaction Score
I don’t think being out of shape and poor decision making are synonymous with one another. Last game was all about”what were you thinking Caroline “. As Rosanne Rosanna Danna said “If it’s not one thing it’s another “.

Reaction Score
Really that is where you want to go ??? With all due respect any knowledge of the team or injuries and recovery time?

This comment deserves a ton of thumbs down for lack of knowledge of the game. I don't go there. That and understanding of recovery time from multiple medical procedures. Caroline has played under duress, neck, back, hip, with players going down to injury. She still gets on the floor giving it her all.
Just because it's December does not replace physical issues. As for myself I am hoping for some of the walking wounded to be ready to tune up in February.... That to prepare for March.... ;)
I agree... Caroline is " givine it her all". We need to have the team come together in February,
March and April.... Caroline will be will there with her teammates..." whole heartedly". Go Caroline!
It's a process, No?

Reaction Score
Caroline appears to be fighting a physical issue - indicators are her inability to elevate when rebounding or going for layups. Would suggest we admire her grit rather criticize. That being said, since she is typically taller than her defender, getting her the ball near the basket has been working to her advantage. Part of the issue the last game was that she only got the ball relatively far away. Rather than just getting the ball to a big at the top of the key and looking for cutters, would love to see a new offensive tactic that had picks down low, isolating Caroline and Edwards. Would work well for DeBerry as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom