OT: - Car rental in Europe | The Boneyard

OT: Car rental in Europe

Reaction Score
What should I know about renting a car in Portugal? We are flying into Lisbon arriving Tues 4/26 and flying out again from Lisbon on Sat 5/7. Will our regular US state driver's license be all I need? How about car insurance with the rental, do I need to get any, and if so, is there a certain kind/amount I should get? Will our own US car insurance cover any damages (should they occur) while renting overseas? Anything else I should know?

Thanks, we are excited about traveling again, and Portugal looks like it will be an amazing destination.

Reaction Score
What should I know about renting a car in Portugal? We are flying into Lisbon arriving Tues 4/26 and flying out again from Lisbon on Sat 5/7. Will our regular US state driver's license be all I need? How about car insurance with the rental, do I need to get any, and if so, is there a certain kind/amount I should get? Will our own US car insurance cover any damages (should they occur) while renting overseas? Anything else I should know?

Thanks, we are excited about traveling again, and Portugal looks like it will be an amazing destination.
Got to TripAdvisor and ask same question on their Forums.

Reaction Score

: ) We've been watching everything at home from Florence, Italy. Generally, go to Rick Steeve's website for comprehensive info. My answer: get an international drivers license for everyone you'd like to be able to drive. And check your credit card people to see what they cover for car rentals. Back in '18, in Sicily, we rented a car and had a small ding driving in very narrow streets. It took a couple of months of paperwork, but we got reimbursed for what the local rental agency charged us.

Reaction Score
Try Auto Europe at www.autoeurope.com. Hubby and I have been using them for years (we visit the fam in France every summer) and they have the best rates compared to dealing with the car rental companies directly. Verify with your American credit card company that they will provide insurance for the rental (many of them do). Your American driver's license should be valid anywhere in the EU.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Try Auto Europe at www.autoeurope.com. Verify with your American credit card company that they will provide insurance for the rental (many of them do).
Be very aware of the fine print for restrictions and exceptions when using any insurance but particularly for credit card company's rental car insurance..

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score

I have used Gemut.com for European Car Rentals, including Portugal. They have some informative articles on their site. If you call them they can answer your questions honestly. Rates were very good and I have trusted them for over 15 years.

Reaction Score
No need for an international license. Your credit card may offer insurance. Car shortages means no guarantees that a car will be there for you. Have a back up plan. Our last two rentals failed us.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Unless you're comfortable driving stick, be sure to specify an automatic. Most cars in Europe are still manuals, including rentals, and Americans often completely overlook this until they get into their rental and can't get out of the lot!

PS: I've rented probably 10 cars in Europe and never once gotten the international driver's license, nor ever been asked to produce one.

PPS: Double-check the countries your rental car has exclusions for. IIRC, most exclude coverage in Italy (LOL), but I don't recall Portugal being on those lists.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
Don't know about Portugal or other countries but when I rented a car in Ireland a few years ago and blew a tire, I discovered that the rental co. did not cover tires! (Because of the crappy roads in Ireland? Dunno.) I thought I was dealing with Hertz, but it turned out to be some jerkwater rental co. that contracted for the use of the name.

I had to have a tire delivered to the hotel on a Sunday & it cost me about $500. Tried to get satisfaction from Hertz when I got home, but they washed their hands of the whole deal, despite the fact that I had been a Gold member for about 40 years.

Moral: Check your contract to see who's responsible for tires.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I drive in Europe fairly often
Never been asked for International license but always have one
Lots of reasonably priced rentals around, look around

Even though you pay through the nose, we always buy local insurance
because many rental company's find a little flaw for which they make you pay (double) for on the spot, real racket.

Advice about stick shift correct...most rentals stick...or expensive
If you're of an age...check the company's age requirement

And lastly...don't drive if train will do...our last trip...only 10 days...We flew to Rome
trained (fast) to Salerno...then trained around Naples, Paestum, Amalfi (bus)...
Only missed having a car one day when we visited Pozzuoli...either a one day rental or guide would have worked. Public transport in that case too difficult and hard to scope out.

Then we trained back to Rome and the cruise port for the boat home.

Reaction Score

never rented a car in Europe......I was a train guy in my youth and now a cheap plane guy........if I can make one recommendation about places to visit in Portugal, you should seriously consider a trip to the beach town of Lagos and from there a visit to Sagres which is Europe's most southwesterly point. It was there that Prince Henry the Navigator established a school where he trained Magellan and Vasco de Gama among many others. The views from the barren cliffs looking out at the endless ocean are magnificent and it really makes you appreciate how brave those explorers were heading towards what was thought to be the end of the world.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
American drivers license has never been a problem for me in Europe - only time I needed an international license was in Japan.

Insurance can be an pain in the neck with credit card or travel site insurance vs. the actual car agent.

Driving in small towns can be tricky because roads can be VERY narrow!

Depending how far off the main routes you travel you may have issues with using google maps for directions and it may be worth your while to add route guidance to your rental - I used google in Sicily and it took me onto a road that ended in a muddy track with a 15' drop at the end - I could see my BB on the continuation of the road but had to go 20 miles around to get to it (after I spent 4 hours repairing the two tires puncture on barbed wire hidden in the mud) - nightmare

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Definitely check your credit card to see about insurance -- talk to them and note the name of the person you talk to. My experience is, no matter what your credit card, the European rental car locations will say your card doesn't cover it.

Maestro makes a good point about public transit in much of Europe. But my experience in Portugal is that lots of the really cool places are well off the beaten path. We saw some neat neolithic stuff that was just out on a farm in the middle of nowhere. Best meal we had there was at the Portuguese equivalent of a truck stop in the middle of the desert on the way from Lisbon to Evora. If you stick to the coast, you'd be fine on public transit.

Reaction Score
Don't know about Portugal or other countries but when I rented a car in Ireland a few years ago and blew a tire, I discovered that the rental co. did not cover tires! (Because of the crappy roads in Ireland? Dunno.) I thought I was dealing with Hertz, but it turned out to be some jerkwater rental co. that contracted for the use of the name.

I had to have a tire delivered to the hotel on a Sunday & it cost me about $500. Tried to get satisfaction from Hertz when I got home, but they washed their hands of the whole deal, despite the fact that I had been a Gold member for about 40 years.

Moral: Check your contract to see who's responsible for tires.
You’re lucky Hertz didn’t have you arrested for stealing your rental.

Reaction Score
I live in Europe. People from the States can use their U.S. license. You don’t need an international license. When I’ve rented a car here, it’s always been a manual, but Europe is changing. Automatics are becoming popular, so they’ll probably be available.

When you rent a car here, you will be given basic insurance, with limited coverage and a high deductible. I strongly suggest that you consider paying the rental company for full insurance. It will seem like a waste of money if you don’t have a problem, but if you have an accident, you’ll be grateful to have it.

Msf22b has a good point. If you are the kind of traveler that sticks to large cities and major tourist sites, you could do without car. If you want more flexibility or want to get off the tourist path, a car can be useful.

Anyway, I hope you have a great vacation.

Reaction Score
You’re getting some excellent advice here.
The main two points:
Most rentals in Europe are stick shifts. If you’re not ok with that, be very vigilant in advance of the rental with respect to what you specify.
The last thing you want to contend with on a trip is dealing with potential insurance issues. Just resign yourself to buying the coverage and shelve the worries!

Reaction Score
Definitely check your credit card to see about insurance -- talk to them and note the name of the person you talk to. My experience is, no matter what your credit card, the European rental car locations will say your card doesn't cover it.

Maestro makes a good point about public transit in much of Europe. But my experience in Portugal is that lots of the really cool places are well off the beaten path. We saw some neat neolithic stuff that was just out on a farm in the middle of nowhere. Best meal we had there was at the Portuguese equivalent of a truck stop in the middle of the desert on the way from Lisbon to Evora. If you stick to the coast, you'd be fine on public transit.
have you ever been to the restaurant Bonjardim in Lisbon? I first went there in the 80's and while the restaurant has gotten more touristy over the years, it's still serves the best rotisserie chicken with French fries that I've ever eaten........

Reaction Score
What Dibster said: TripAdvisor - This has been asked and answered IN GREAT DETAIL many time on various forums there.. I never buy the excess insurance - many "premium" credit cards will cover you. Just for additional comfort - get a letter from your credit card company BEFORE you travel
Have fun!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It’s been years since I rented in Europe (France). I don’t know if it’s still true, but automatic was a good bit more expensive than manual. I know how to drive a stick, so that’s what I rented. Didn’t get an international license. Most recent rental was technically American based in St Thomas just pre- pandemic. It was supposedly Avis, but really just a locally
licensed outfit that didn’t have our car but after we yapped at them they found a pretty lousy car (probably one of their personal cars) so at least we had something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom