Can't believe Hurley said this but you know who he is talking about. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Can't believe Hurley said this but you know who he is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yea, he knows how to frame it differently.

Take a look at this quote again:

"It is more of a burden to play at UConn than it is an advantage"

That's cringe worthy
Oh stop. Just enjoy the ride this team is on right now. Hurley's doing an excellent job. Let's not critique everything the man says. We're lucky to have him.

Also -- I'm pretty sure that quote is taken out of context. When I heard him say that, it was in the context of playing in the opening rounds of the tournament -- and other, less elite universities having very little to lose, where a school like UConn had all the pressure. He was saying it was more difficult for a school with tradition and expectations like UConn to win early b/c of the added pressures.

Reaction Score
Oh stop. Just enjoy the ride this team is on right now. Hurley's doing an excellent job. Let's not critique everything the man says. We're lucky to have him.

Also -- I'm pretty sure that quote is taken out of context. When I heard him say that, it was in the context of playing in the opening rounds of the tournament -- and other, less elite universities having very little to lose, where a school like UConn had all the pressure. He was saying it was more difficult for a school with tradition and expectations like UConn to win early b/c of the added pressures.
Yes, he was saying that in a program as storied as ours that the Sweet 16 is table stakes. That is what he was obviously conveying.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Geno is a lot more tactful

Some of our fans are so goshdarn stupid it’s unbelievable,” Auriemma said. “They complain a lot of times that we have no competition and it’s boring. Then if we play a really good team and don’t play our A-game, they b**** that something’s wrong with UConn: ‘This kid’s not any good. That kid’s not any good. Geno Auriemma got outcoached by this coach.’ It’s unbelievable.

[Note: he didn’t say “gosh darn”]

"We have a spoiled group of fans who assume we are going to win, who assumed we would be in Philadelphia [for the regionals] and be at the Final Four," Auriemma told reporters. "We had the season, the Big East [tournament and now the NCAA tournament. You are asking them to do a lot. So I think we don't bid on [hosting the NCAA first round] for five years."

Sorry, I still think it comes up short of that quote. Defending the players from crazy people that you should pay no mind to. Framing it differently.

This quote was dire resignation, deserved or otherwise, you have a burden like nobody else if you come here.

The thing is, that isn't even true. All the big time schools have the same kind of pressures . Why single ours out like that? What's the point and the need?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He's getting paid 3 million a year to put up with the fan base.
No, he isn’t. He’s getting $3 million a year to coach the team. Yeah, putting up with fans is part and parcel of being a high major coach, but the statement above has too much of the quote. I paid for my tickets so I can boo the players” kind of a vibe.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Hurley has it right. Totally out of our minds.

The 10 basic requirements for being on the Boneyard:
1. Fully expects the team to score 100 or more points against any and all opponents.
2. Fully expects the team to hold any and all opponents' scoring to single digits.
3. Complains bitterly that the referees are out to get us and call fouls on UConn players for being on the court.
4. Convinces themselves that any opposing player coming within 6 feet of a UConn player has fouled him.
5. Understands the game and its strategy and flow better than any coach alive, especially the UConn head coach.
6. Calls for the immediate firing of the head coach if a UConn player misses any shot or commits any turnover.
7. Knows very clearly that anyone on the bench is a better player than a starter - the farther down the bench he goes, the better he is.
8. Cannot comprehend the lack of the head coaches understanding of when to call time outs and when to effectively substitute for a player on the floor.
9. Understands that any recruit that did not come to UConn and played for a school other than UConn that scored significant points against us in a loss is a result of the total lack of ability to recruit by the head coach and coaching staff.
10. Accepts as fact that the UConn program has the bluest blood of any 'blue blood.'

What say you? Did I miss any???

Reaction Score
In fairness to DH I thought he was saying it was a "burden" in the first round or 2 of NCAA Tourney playing for UConn due to the high expecatations, but not a burden overall playing for UConn or in later rounds of Tourney....at least that was my take.
Yes, they left out the rest of the quote where he said that for the first 2 rounds it's a burden because our fans expect to get to the Sweet 16.

Reaction Score
I love the boneyarders who whine about Hurley and say he is a whiner, yet the Hurley whiners are the biggest whiners.

“I pay money for tickets wah wah wah I can say what I want.” Stop buying tickets then if you’re so upset with his comments about some of your moronic statements about him.

The lengths some of our “fans” go to complain about a damn good coach is absolutely stunning. They complain about Hurley daily, yet when Hurley calls them out and complains about them people are stunned. Shoved it right in your faces. Fools

Reaction Score
Yea, he knows how to frame it differently.

That's cringe worthy
and out of context

Reaction Score

You don't think opposing recruiters will take it out of context? They will do so with honors.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

That's cringe worthy
Hurley has said a few things lately that struck me is being a little tone deaf. Certainly, the quote above is one, but another one that comes to mind was his saying that providence was the best team in New England, and we were chasing them. If he wants to use that as motivation in the locker room, feel free, but saying it in a press conference just seems a little tone deaf.

The quote above makes me feel like Hurley is really feeling the pressure to succeed here. He’s a pretty tightly wound guy and that is part and parcel of what makes him a good coach, internal pressure to succeed. Hopefully a continued good run in the postseason will help him to take the pressure off himself.

Reaction Score
Hurley has it right. Totally out of our minds.

The 10 basic requirements for being on the Boneyard:
1. Fully expects the team to score 100 or more points against any and all opponents.
2. Fully expects the team to hold any and all opponents' scoring to single digits.
3. Complains bitterly that the referees are out to get us and call fouls on UConn players for being on the court.
4. Convinces themselves that any opposing player coming within 6 feet of a UConn player has fouled him.
5. Understands the game and its strategy and flow better than any coach alive, especially the UConn head coach.
6. Calls for the immediate firing of the head coach if a UConn player misses any shot or commits any turnover.
7. Knows very clearly that anyone on the bench is a better player than a starter - the farther down the bench he goes, the better he is.
8. Cannot comprehend the lack of the head coaches understanding of when to call time outs and when to effectively substitute for a player on the floor.
9. Understands that any recruit that did not come to UConn and played for a school other than UConn that scored significant points against us in a loss is a result of the total lack of ability to recruit by the head coach and coaching staff.
10. Accepts as fact that the UConn program has the bluest blood of any 'blue blood.'

What say you? Did I miss any???
Lordy, #7. I am surprised that Rashool Diggins hasn't overtaken Wembanyama in the latest mock draft.

Reaction Score
Geno has been complaining about pressure from fans and the burden of expectations for decades. The right kind of players embrace it and take it as a challenge to prove the doubters wrong
I read the women’s boneyard
board and its nothing like the mens.. some posters on the mens board attack players and it goes on for weeks..I never see posters attacking players on the women’s side

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yes we (collectively the UConn fan base) can be overly demanding s. I'm pretty confident that Hurley knew this going in and wouldn't have it any other way.

That doesn't mean that he can't point out in an interview that being in a position to celebrate (first sweet sixteen for him and his players) should feel like an accomplishment, not relief that you passed a minimum standards exam.

Reaction Score
I don't like it but I'll take a rowdy fanbase over the alternative. Go to a BC game a few times if you like passivity. Or go to a Bruins game when the Flyers or Montreal are in town. If you dare. I was in Athens when the World Cup was about to start 10- 15 years ago. The afternoon that the planes were coming in filled with the English soccer clubs terrified everyone. They closed their shops and restaurants that afternoon. I would too. Go to any big soccer arena in South America and you will notice chain link fence separating various fan sections. They mean business. We're not there yet.
I hear that. I go to both Oakland As games and SF Giants games, and even though the Giants games are more packed, the small crowd at Oakland is way better. Going to Giants game is like going to the opera. All sorts of rules about not going to get a beer or going to bathroom in the middle of an at bat. Stand are full of corporate ticket holder groups that are just at game to socialize and don’t really care who wins.

Reaction Score
I really encourage you to watch the entire interview.

It was in direct response to a question about if the players confidence has improved to their actual ability.

Dan wasn’t going after the fan base at all. Just saying that it’s a lot of pressure at UConn and now that the first 2 rounds are over “they can just go out and let it rip”.
Yeah, an immediate meltdown is a compliment to the fanbase.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I read the women’s boneyard
board and its nothing like the mens.. some posters on the mens board attack players and it goes on for weeks..I never see posters attacking players on the women’s side

The two boards are moderated completely differently...

Reaction Score
Most of us were raised by Jim Calhoun. A round of 32 loss will never be a satisfying season.
What other expectations would he want us to have?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
That's great ammunition for opposing coaches to recruit against. Saying our fan base makes it worse than others

I wish he would think about the things he says
Exactly, because we are recruiting players who just want participation trophy’s. He was talking about the first two rounds and the expectation of UConn fans that we expect sweet 16 runs. So by your logic the following recruiting pitch is. “ look come to our school because the university and the fans have no expectations, just come and enjoy yourself. But don’t worry about winning nobody cares”. Brilliant just brilliant!

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Exactly, because we are recruiting players who just want participation trophy’s. He was talking about the first two rounds and the expectation of UConn fans that we expect sweet 16 runs. So by your logic the following recruiting pitch is. “ look come to our school because the university and the fans have no expectations, just come and enjoy yourself. But don’t worry about winning nobody cares”. Brilliant just brilliant!
And so many BY Polly Ana’s loved the post. Remarkable thinking kind of like supporting apathy by saying it’s ok not to care.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Sorry, I still think it comes up short of that quote. Defending the players from crazy people that you should pay no mind to. Framing it differently.

This quote was dire resignation, deserved or otherwise, you have a burden like nobody else if you come here.

The thing is, that isn't even true. All the big time schools have the same kind of pressures . Why single ours out like that? What's the point and the need?
what a meathead interpretation

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I've been a Hurley defender and I respect that he wants to protect his kids but at a certain point I'd like him to stop making these kinds of comments.

It's one thing to complain about personal attacks on players but I get the sense he's bothered by a lot more, and he should just really ignore it. For example, the players are not attacked on this board, but I get the feeling he thinks it's a negative place. Again, while I'm on the pro-Hurley side and have obviously observed a lot of criticism for Hurley that I didn't necessarily agree with, that's just part of the deal, man. You stick to coaching and we'll stick to saying dumb stuff on a message board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom