Canada Loses to Spain | The Boneyard

Canada Loses to Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I know the USA qualified for Rio last summer by winning the World Championship.
I think Canada finished 5th....not qualifying for Rio. Can they qualify by winning....or placing high...
in this summer's Pan-Am games?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Canada has to win the FIBA America's Tournament held in August in Edmonton to Automatically Qualify for the Olympics. If they don't win the tournament there's another qualification tournament next year.

Canada's WBB Schedule: http://www.thestar.com/sports/baske...e-canadian-senior-womens-basketball-team.html

Pan Am Games will be a good indicator if Canada can win the FIBA Americas's tournament.

I know the USA qualified for Rio last summer by winning the World Championship.
I think Canada finished 5th....not qualifying for Rio. Can they qualify by winning....or placing high...
in this summer's Pan-Am games?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1 0f 11 yikes! Spain plays tough and fast - may be #2 in world.

You're right, Rocky- But she's playing at the highest level, against the "big girls." Versus Spain, she faced Alba Torrens and Laia Palau, two of the best international guards. FSU's Letitia Romero is a real nice collegiate player, too, and she struggled as well, committing 5 turnovers. And remember- Kia isn't playing alongside that incredible #4 kid here. Going into this competition, right on the heels of her long, national championship season, she has to be tired and wearing down somewhat (Kia averaged 25 minutes pg at UConn-she played 32 minutes vs. Spain, far more than any other Canadian player).

Kia's opponents here are stronger, older, often more skillful, and way more experienced. And though I'd like to see Canada do well, what matters most to me is that Kia has a great learning experience and returns to UConn even better than she was last year (and healthy).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're right, Rocky- But she's playing at the highest level, against the "big girls." Versus Spain, she faced Alba Torrens and Laia Palau, two of the best international guards. FSU's Letitia Romero is a real nice collegiate player, too, and she struggled as well, committing 5 turnovers. And remember- Kia isn't playing alongside that incredible #4 kid here. Going into this competition, right on the heels of her long, national championship season, she has to be tired and wearing down somewhat (Kia averaged 25 minutes pg at UConn-she played 32 minutes vs. Spain, far more than any other Canadian player).

Kia's opponents here are stronger, older, often more skillful, and way more experienced. And though I'd like to see Canada do well, what matters most to me is that Kia has a great learning experience and returns to UConn even better than she was last year (and healthy).

Thank you ever so much for this---thanks for supporting OUR Kia. Coaching here appears to be a bit lacking for Canada. From all you say this was a great LEARNING game for Kia. Again, I can't thank you enough for the positive take in Kia's game, I just feel terrible for her.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The ideal situation for Canada would be that Kia would be the starting guard for their U19/U20 team and allowed to develop for their Senior team in the future. The fact that Kia is their starting PG, reflects on the overall weakness of the Canadian Program. They're relying on Kia as well as Nirra Fields to play significant minutes against more talented older players, because they don't have enough older more talented guards in their program.

If we're honest if Kia was an American would USA Basketball be even looking at her as a future starting PG in the 2020 Olympics or later. As of today, I doubt it. However Canada is looking at her as their starting PG for the 2016 and future Olympic teams. That shows the difference in talent level between USA and Canada.

Kia is a talented College Level Player being asked to accomplish more then what should be expected of her. The experience she has this summer with the Canadian Sr Team is going to pay huge dividends for UConn. While Moriah is the staring PG for next year, Kia should be ready to taker over when Moriah graduates.

BTW Canada is currently ranked 10th in the FIBA WBB Rankings. http://www.fiba.com/rankingwomen

Reaction Score
The ideal situation for Canada would be that Kia would be the starting guard for their U19/U20 team and allowed to develop for their Senior team in the future. The fact that Kia is their starting PG, reflects on the overall weakness of the Canadian Program. They're relying on Kia as well as Nirra Fields to play significant minutes against more talented older players, because they don't have enough older more talented guards in their program.

If we're honest if Kia was an American would USA Basketball be even looking at her as a future starting PG in the 2020 Olympics or later. As of today, I doubt it. However Canada is looking at her as their starting PG for the 2016 and future Olympic teams. That shows the difference in talent level between USA and Canada.

Kia is a talented College Level Player being asked to accomplish more then what should be expected of her. The experience she has this summer with the Canadian Sr Team is going to pay huge dividends for UConn. While Moriah is the staring PG for next year, Kia should be ready to taker over when Moriah graduates.

BTW Canada is currently ranked 10th in the FIBA WBB Rankings. http://www.fiba.com/rankingwomen

As of this year, the USA would NOT be looking at Kia for starting PG--the USA PG's are Pro's with lots of experience. Kia just turned 19 and has been thrown into the lion's den without a lot of prep. I doubt Geno would have done that to her. I understand Canada's lack of experience at this position--maybe , just maybe, the exposure for Kia and Canada will work in their favor in the coming years. Thank you for a good analysis and not kicking Kia.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

X 2. Got that so right.

Reaction Score
Kia is a talented College Level Player being asked to accomplish more then what should be expected of her. The experience she has this summer with the Canadian Sr Team is going to pay huge dividends for UConn. While Moriah is the starting PG for next year, Kia should be ready to taker over when Moriah graduates.

... But just until that little Moriah wannabe (yes, there really is something beautiful in the state of Tennessee) gets acclimated to Geno, UConn, and the next level of play.

[with absolutely NO disrespect intended to Kia]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As of this year, the USA would NOT be looking at Kia for starting PG--the USA PG's are Pro's with lots of experience. Kia just turned 19 and has been thrown into the lion's den without a lot of prep. I doubt Geno would have done that to her. I understand Canada's lack of experience at this position--maybe , just maybe, the exposure for Kia and Canada will work in their favor in the coming years. Thank you for a good analysis and not kicking Kia.
Totally agree Broadway - I like to see the silver lining when possible - Kia had 5 rebounds and 5 assists, Kia controlled the ball for 32 minutes and only had 3 turnovers. Canada (shooting very poorly) only lost by 11 pts. IMHO Kia was adjusting to the PG position after being the 2 guard all year. As we know, the PG has to bring the ball up, set things up, look to pass and then recognize when to shoot or drive. She also played super D for 32 minutes. How lucky we are that we have MoJeff. I believe Kia will settle down and slip into the PG mind-set/role a little better every game. The way I look at it--if she made 5 of 11 shots (not asking for too much),(with the rebounds & assists---it would have been a very good game against World Class competition. This coming UConn season, she will be outrageously skilled for a 2 guard.

Reaction Score
Totally agree Broadway - I like to see the silver lining when possible - Kia had 5 rebounds and 5 assists, Kia controlled the ball for 32 minutes and only had 3 turnovers. Canada (shooting very poorly) only lost by 11 pts. IMHO Kia was adjusting to the PG position after being the 2 guard all year. As we know, the PG has to bring the ball up, set things up, look to pass and then recognize when to shoot or drive. She also played super D for 32 minutes. How lucky we are that we have MoJeff. I believe Kia will settle down and slip into the PG mind-set/role a little better every game. The way I look at it--if she made 5 of 11 shots (not asking for too much),(with the rebounds & assists---it would have been a very good game against World Class competition. This coming UConn season, she will be outrageously skilled for a 2 guard.

Thank you so much. Real positive analysis of a great Kid. You are also correct about Jefferson--I think the UConn WBB program has been blessed for 3 years by having the little engine that could, the heart of Uconn offense and great defense, some of what Jefferson does is amazing --how does anyone follow in those Nike's? It would be the greatest if Kia came out of this with the skills you say--this has to only make her better. Thank you!!! Being the glutton I am known for, and this is with great hopes, should Gabby, Ekmark and Saniya arrive on campus with skills honed. I won't be the great pig and hope the three new kids are as great as we've been told. Again, thank you for seeing how good Kia actually is.

Reaction Score

... And paired with Moriah, Kia will give UConn the great advantage of playing with pretty much TWO point guards on the floor at once, both capable of handling, passing, and shooting. Double the pleasure and double the headaches for opponents!! And creating the same kind of deadly combo and difficult matchup that Moriah and Bria Hartley did in going 40-0.

Reaction Score
... And paired with Moriah, Kia will give UConn the great advantage of playing with pretty much TWO point guards on the floor at once, both capable of handling, passing, and shooting. Double the pleasure and double the headaches for opponents!! And creating the same kind of deadly combo and difficult matchup that Moriah and Bria Hartley did in going 40-0.

I'm a painfully slow typist, I got timed out:mad: To finish my thoughts: Next year should be even better for the UConn backcourt. Moriah is, well, Moriah. Nuff said there. With the experience gained from running point for her national team and the anticipated improvement from freshman to sophomore year that Geno says good players undergo, Kia will then be like having a 2nd point guard on the floor, like Bria and Moriah were. A matchup nightmare.

And based upon nothing more than a hunch, I believe Saniya is gonna work her tail off this off-season and come back immeasureably more confident, capable and successful. To this point, I don't think Saniya has developed as well as she and her coaches had hoped, but I'm confident a new and improved Saniya will contribute significant quality minutes this coming season and become a key to UConn's continued success.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As noted, Spain may be the #2 team in the world. After the great Maya Moore helped get the U.S. the lead in the FIBA gold medal game, Spain played us basically even over the last 30 minutes.

Kia will play better. The person who became the best player in the world shot 1-15 back in 2001 on a big stage.

Reaction Score
Kia is great! That said, one area she could improve dramatically on are entry passes to the post which she barely even attempted last season

Reaction Score
1 0f 11 yikes! Spain plays tough and fast - may be #2 in world.

If Jackson and Cambage are healthy (big if) I'd have to take the Aussies over Spain.

I noticed that Canada lost by 11, but were outscored by 15 at the free throw line.

Reaction Score
Kia is great! That said, one area she could improve dramatically on are entry passes to the post which she barely even attempted last season
dtbtbtb -am I sseeeing ddoouubbllee or is that your Real Surname. Anyway, you reminded us what Geno said last year when he talked with the Canadian Coach. Geno was forlorn that Kia did not have that recognition when to throw an entry pass and if she did notice the open POST, then her execution was not up to snuff (according to Geno.) Someone mentioned that Canada had no real post players so Kia didn't even have the opportunity to practice the entry pass in game conditions. With Butler, Tuck and Stewie roaming around the blocks--I think Kia will be much improved next year. Goody for us.

HGN

Reaction Score
Kia certainly did not have a great game by any stretch..... And she still led Canada in assists and rebounds.. ..And when you look closer you see that maybe Canada lost the game at the foul line. Going 4/7 , while Spain was 19/26. Normally Kia takes the ball inside a lot on drives drawing fouls. But tonight she was 0/0. With a little bit more experience she will not let that happen when she see how the game is being called.

I do chalk this one up to The Canada Team players gaining experience......And hopefully the coaching staff gained some more experience too.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom