Can we try something different? | The Boneyard

Can we try something different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Would it be possible to line up 2 backs , say Max and Lyle, or Martin and Deshon to give us some more options out of the backfield? Run some misdirection and occasionally try to get Deshon in man coverage with a lb? Martin looked pretty strong before he got pulled for blocking and running too hard. We just don't seem to be able to use personnel effectively. Foxx basically runs the jet sweep when I'd like to see him down the sideline after smoking a lb out of the backfield. I'm not a technical guy but it seems obvious.

Reaction Score
We never try something different. Never.
They think the world will collapse on itself if they use some imagination.

Nice thought though

Reaction Score
Would it be possible to line up 2 backs , say Max and Lyle, or Martin and Deshon to give us some more options out of the backfield? Run some misdirection and occasionally try to get Deshon in man coverage with a lb? Martin looked pretty strong before he got pulled for blocking and running too hard. We just don't seem to be able to use personnel effectively. Foxx basically runs the jet sweep when I'd like to see him down the sideline after smoking a lb out of the backfield. I'm not a technical guy but it seems obvious.

Didn't Hyppolite's long TD run last year occur with both him and McCombs in the backfield, and McCombs springing a block for him on the perimeter? It's rare, but I think we do it sometimes.

Reaction Score
What has been the longest run over the last two years by a running back? I know this year is around 13 yards in 3 games.

Reaction Score
Weist was/is a one-back OC, P recenetly stated that he prefers two-back, philosophical differences from the get go.

Reaction Score
I have this wild idea where our OL gets some push and they occaisionally plant a LB on their ass. Crazy, I know, but I seem to remember a day.......
we are 20-30lbs lighter along the line now. TE are smallish and untested. The whole right side is a pickle including the TE blocking.

Reaction Score
We never try something different. Never.
They think the world will collapse on itself if they use some imagination.

Nice thought though

we did the Wildcat, that was different.

Reaction Score
we are 20-30lbs lighter along the line now. TE are smallish and untested. The whole right side is a pickle including the TE blocking.

And last season? Listen, these guys duck*ed up our running game beyond recognition. McCombs is a talented and tough kid. That said, he goes down everytime someone farts. We are completely incapable of waring defenses down and defenses now simply pin their ears back knowing they don't need to respect our running game. We are in a very bad spot.

Reaction Score
I have this wild idea where our OL gets some push and they occaisionally plant a LB on their ass. Crazy, I know, but I seem to remember a day.......

Watching Santini's Notre Dame game video, two things stick out. First, in the second quarter, on Todman's long TD run, when Todman broke back and made it into the secondary, at least 3-4 linemen were ahead of him leading the way, always looking for someone to pancake.

Second, in the second half and OT, our line just flat-out wore Notre Dame down, and pushed Notre Dame's D-line around like they were shopping carts. Four straight hours of relentless fatigue.

That was a classic Big Ten-type line. Coincidentally, that 2009 team had probably the most diverse offense we've ever had.

Reaction Score
Watching Santini's Notre Dame game video, two things stick out. First, in the second quarter, on Todman's long TD run, when Todman broke back and made it into the secondary, at least 3-4 linemen were ahead of him leading the way, always looking for someone to pancake.

Second, in the second half and OT, our line just flat-out wore Notre Dame down, and pushed Notre Dame's D-line around like they were shopping carts. Four straight hours of relentless fatigue.

That was a classic Big Ten-type line. Coincidentally, that 2009 team had probably the most diverse offense we've ever had.

Exactly right. We are so far away from that right now it is sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom