Can somebody explain... | The Boneyard

Can somebody explain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...if you are the ACC's TV partner (ESPN), why would you accept a conference trading a team that is in the #24 DMA TV Market (Baltimore) and the #8 DMA market (Washington DC), for a team in the #50 DMA TV Market. (Lousiville)?

My feeling is they don't/won't accept it. Whatever contract they signed with the ACC is no longer worth what it was in TV dollars without the Baltimore/DC market. Taking Lousivlle might have been a good stopgap move for the ACC's football side, but they will need to bring in better TV markets to make the TV deal whole.

My thinking is the ACC only took one team yesterday to immediately plug the Maryland hole and not give the immediate impression that they were on the verge of being poached. But their television partner is going to have something to say about market reductions. My thinking is the ACC expands further...probably by two additional teams...and they will do it in the not-to-distant future...probably fairly quietly (ala Cuse Pitt).

This is where the governor needs to be in contact with ESPN.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The ESPN has an under market deal with the ACC. Look at what the B12 recently got and what the rumors of the old BE were going to get. The ACC deal with ESPN is well under market (which is why they are all so concerned that FSU and Clemson could leave for the B12). So while a swap of Maryland for Louisville does make the ACC slightly less valuable....they are still much more valuable than their current contract. So ESPN has no interest in 're-opening' the contract terms. That is your explanation.

Reaction Score
Did the ACC help or hurt themselves with the 50m exit fee? Sure helps ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom