Cam Spencer lights UConn's Fire | The Boneyard

Cam Spencer lights UConn's Fire

Reaction Score

good article in The Athletic today:

“At DePaul, when Clingan was a step behind his man rolling to the basket, he left his feet on a pump fake and picked up his second foul with 10:42 left in the first half. When he got to the bench, Spencer was waiting.

“He just started yelling at me,” Clingan says. “Yo, who gives a s— if they score those two points? It’s two points versus 10 minutes. Now you have to sit on the bench for 10 minutes. He yelled for like three straight minutes about how I can’t get in foul trouble because how much they need me on the court. It’s things like that that help me. It helps me realize I need to focus on not fouling.”

Clingan hasn’t had more than three fouls in a game since.”

Reaction Score

“At DePaul, when Clingan was a step behind his man rolling to the basket, he left his feet on a pump fake and picked up his second foul with 10:42 left in the first half. When he got to the bench, Spencer was waiting.

“He just started yelling at me,” Clingan says. “Yo, who gives a s— if they score those two points? It’s two points versus 10 minutes. Now you have to sit on the bench for 10 minutes. He yelled for like three straight minutes about how I can’t get in foul trouble because how much they need me on the court. It’s things like that that help me. It helps me realize I need to focus on not fouling.”

My god I’m going to miss Cam next year.

Reaction Score

Hope he is listening well it’s the most important piece period.

Reaction Score
Great article…..loved by his opponents too!

A few weeks ago Bruce Spencer came across a poll on social media. “Most punchable Big East face,” a St. John’s fan asked. He gave three options: Cam Spencer, Cam Spencer, Cam Spencer.

Bruce sent it to friends and family. “I think it’s hilarious,” his dad says.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Tip of the hat also to Steve Pikiell for coaching him up for a year at Rutgers prior to his transfer here. He is a deadly shooter and has had a ton of daggers this year to either turn a game around or pour it on in a rally. He is the best mid-range shooter I remember here as well. He will be difficult to replace in so many ways. Cam has the fire:

Reaction Score
Hawk got beat off the dribble a lot too let’s not forget that. And he wasn’t at all the ball handler or passer that this kid is. And Spencer rebounds just as well. And one shoots it more consistent from 3 as well I didn’t get carried away it’s worth the debate no doubt. My preference for this team is simple because they need that fundamentally sound player. I respect anyone saying I’m nuts, but I’m being honest.
he has a knack for being at the right place at just the right time. You cannot teach that.

Reaction Score
Smoke another one bud..

You ever watch Henefeild or Sheffer? Are you not old enough to have a dam clue

That’s a absolute idiotic statement
Your take is way too hot. This comp is a lot closer than you are making it out to be. And to be clear, I am old enough. I watched both of those guys. Great players, particularly Henefeld (Sheffer is not at their level). Loved Navad. Steady as they come. But he did not have the offensive punch that Cam has. Both great passers. Both great leaders. Both perfect for their respective teams.

Reaction Score

been waiting on this one, CJ Moore was teasing this article during the recap of the first Marquette game on Field of 68

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Ironically or not Cam also lives this. When he gets beat he doesn't foul the guy, he lets him score so he can stay out there.

Reaction Score
This offense that UConn is running is going to be copied.. it’s so nice to watch and is so effective… it’s going to put Hurley in a class that only a few coaches are in..

Reaction Score
Thank you Cam for all you did this season. You were amazing.
Looking forward to you in a Husky uniform next season.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
This offense that UConn is running is going to be copied.. it’s so nice to watch and is so effective… it’s going to put Hurley in a class that only a few coaches are in..
It'll be copied, but not duplicated. You have to have a lot of the right players, with vision for the whole court and basketball smarts to run it like we have this year. I don't even think we'll be able to run it as effectively next year without Spencer and Newton.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This is a crazy take. Hawk would be averaging 25ppg if in NCAA this year and putting on a Ray Allen junior year kind of show every night. Cam's a solid player and great fit for this team, but I'd actually like to see his minutes come down a bit as Castle, Solo Ball & Diarra continue to improve. Last night Cam was obviously vital to wining particularly late, but prior to that game Cam's road splits were dismal (off games for Cam in UConn's two losses: injury vs Kansas & simply terrible game vs the Hall).

I was with you re Hawkins but Cam’s minutes down in favor of Ball???? We trying to win a title or not?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
P
Cam is a very good shooter and is usually opportunistic with his 3's. He definitely has a very high BBIQ. He is a below average defender and average ball handler.
He was most likely the best option for DH to bring in as far as a deep shooting threat is concerned and UConn is fortunate to have him.
I do not like to compare players.
Spencer is good for this team.
Not sure when he would have had such a level of success with past UConn teams
As far as taking Cam out of every game so far this year or if UConn didn't get him at all, that's something you can play with most any starter on any team , You'd be crazy to think that DH and staff would not have scooped up somebody who may offer a different skill set that would have as positive an impact.
What if UConn didn't have DC last season? We could play this what if game forever.
I appreciate Cam for what he does well and what he brings to this team

Average ball handling? Are we watching the same guy? He’s not Kyrie Irving but he’s got the ball on a string, gets where he wants to go, and makes the ball go where he wants it. He has a 3.6:1.1 a:to ratio, which is OUTSTANDING. He’s not an average D1 ballhandler by any stretch.

Reaction Score
I was with you re Hawkins but Cam’s minutes down in favor of Ball???? We trying to win a title or not?
This was an in season take, obviously Stew has taken Ball’s minutes for defense @ offense reasons and Cam’s defense has greatly improved and his offensive role vital.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This was an in season take, obviously Stew has taken Ball’s minutes for defense @ offense reasons and Cam’s defense has greatly improved and his offensive role vital.

Just noticed the date of your post — my bad!

Reaction Score
Ironically or not Cam also lives this. When he gets beat he doesn't foul the guy, he lets him score so he can stay out there.
And then he’ll go get a steal to make up for it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom