Cam Spencer Commits to UConn | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Cam Spencer Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
But he can do much more than just bury jump shots.

Just ask Patrick Sellers.

Sellers, the head coach at Central Connecticut State University, saw Spencer’s all-around skills on display on Nov. 26 at Rutgers.

“Most people look at him and say he’s a shooter,” Sellers said on Wednesday. “He’s more than that. He plays really hard. He has a high IQ and he can really shoot it. He’s not a one-trick pony. He can put it down, too, and make a play off the bounce.

“He’s a combo guard; He can play the one or the two. He’s just a real tough competitor. He gets after it. I like him. He’s big on stealing the ball and he’s quick. If you’re sleeping, he’ll pick you or he’ll just work in the passing lane. He’s a really, really good player.”

“He fits them perfectly,” Sellers said. “It was a great pickup by UConn.”

Alternate access:

UConn men’s basketball program lands impact transfer in Cam Spencer

Reaction Score
At Red Fox Donovan Clingan lobbied that he should be credited with the first assist of the year as the host player for Cam Spencer. Poor kid has to duck every time he walks through a doorway. The lack of obvious forehead damage demonstrates he must be a quick learner. Can you imagine how many doors we just walk through naturally during the day. He has to consciously adjust himself to avoid concussions.

Reaction Score
How do we not want their recruits when we want Spencer?
We are not battling them for kids out of HS. They don’t have the prestige. Kansas got Timberlake from Towson. With your logic that mean Kansas and Towson battle over the same kids. When Rutgers and UConn are on a kids final list I almost always feel %100 certain they won’t choose Rutgers. It happens, sure. But not enough to insinuate we recruit the same level/caliber of player. Or you know….Rutgers would be UConn.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
We are not battling them for kids out of HS. They don’t have the prestige. Kansas got Timberlake from Towson. With your logic that mean Kansas and Towson battle over the same kids. When Rutgers and UConn are on a kids final list I almost always feel %100 certain they won’t choose Rutgers. It happens, sure. But not enough to insinuate we recruit the same level/caliber of player. Or you know….Rutgers would be UConn.
That’s not my logic at all. My point is that it is weird to act like we are above them when it comes to their players when we are literally stealing players from them to complete our starting lineup. You’re basically saying we would not recruit the same players as Rutgers. We do that all the time.

Reaction Score
That’s not my logic at all. My point is that it is weird to act like we are above them when it comes to their players when we are literally stealing players from them to complete our starting lineup. You’re basically saying we would not recruit the same players as Rutgers. We do that all the time.
#1 rated 2024 player Dylan Harper is a Rutgers lean because his brother went there and killed it.

Reaction Score
Still time for Ace to decommit.
It really sounds like they have no NIL game. I have to say, I want Pikiell to do well, but I’ll happily take players like Spencer off their hands while they get their act together.

Reaction Score
Rutgers and UConn have not recruited the same caliber of player. If so they’d be UConn or something close. Now and moving forward Rutgers may be interested in kids we’re interested in but they largely won’t be a threat to land anyone we prioritize. It will happen occasionally. Almost every P5 recruits the same pool of top 100 players. But no we do not and should not want a Rutgers caliber roster

Reaction Score
It would be hilarious if Rutgers gets the #1 and #2 prospect in 2024. Would be one of the most random recruiting events of all time. (247 has Harper 1 and Bailey 2 now in their own ranks, not composite yet).

Also if your name is Airious and you play basketball, why do you go by Ace instead of Air?

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
Kinda reminds me of my old fraternity brother, Bob Staak. He even looks a little like him. Had a killer three before the three.

1686281020594.png

Fun story for my fellow OGs. 50+ Years Later- Bobby Staak Still Holds Blue Wave Scoring Record

"One time Bob ran into Calvin Murphy in Las Vegas with Rudy Tomjanovich and Murphy said to Tomjanovich, "Who did I tell you is the baddest white boy I ever played against?" Rudy replied, "That kid Staak." Calvin exclaimed, "This is him!""

Rosey Penny, Spider Hays...those guys were my buddies. John Wooden said Spider and Calvin were the two best HS guards in the country. I saw Calvin hang over 60 on Bobby. Bobby had over 40 in that game if memory serves.

Last edited:

Orc

Reaction Score
It would be hilarious if Rutgers gets the #1 and #2 prospect in 2024. Would be one of the most random recruiting events of all time. (247 has Harper 1 and Bailey 2 now in their own ranks, not composite yet).

Also if your name is Airious and you play basketball, why do you go by Ace instead of Air?
Rutgers national champs 2025. Oh my

Reaction Score
Rutgers and UConn have not recruited the same caliber of player. If so they’d be UConn or something close. Now and moving forward Rutgers may be interested in kids we’re interested in but they largely won’t be a threat to land anyone we prioritize. It will happen occasionally. Almost every P5 recruits the same pool of top 100 players. But no we do not and should not want a Rutgers caliber roster

You are more right than wrong but this post is like when Nelson made the point last week “never has a high lottery pick pick meant less before in the NBA.”

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

My conspiracy brain thinks they did that on purpose for the interest it will generate.

Reaction Score
Yes and no, Timberlake played Loyola his freshman year, Spencer was still in high school. I still can't wrap my head around 6th year seniors.
Very unfair to high school kids as they are competing with 22+ year olds. Prep schools are doing welll a lot high schoolers in many sports opting for post grad years.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

If we're stealing RU's best player, that means we are above them.

Reaction Score
You are more right than wrong but this post is like when Nelson made the point last week “never has a high lottery pick pick meant less before in the NBA.”
?

But if people are now claiming that UConn and Rutgers recruit and land the same caliber of players, I’ll see myself out.

Rutgers is not a serious threat on the recruiting trail. Idk if they ever have been

Reaction Score
?

But if people are now claiming that UConn and Rutgers recruit and land the same caliber of players, I’ll see myself out.

Rutgers is not a serious threat on the recruiting trail. Idk if they ever have been

#2 player in 2024. Committed to Rutgers.

Gavin Griffiths, Cliff Omoruyi choosing Rutgers over UConn.

Their classes aren't as deep as Hurley has been getting. But they do get some good players.

Reaction Score
We did lose Monty Mack to them.

Reaction Score

#2 player in 2024. Committed to Rutgers.

Gavin Griffiths, Cliff Omoruyi choosing Rutgers over UConn.

Their classes aren't as deep as Hurley has been getting. But they do get some good players.

As I’ve said, they’ll get guys we prioritize occasionally. It won’t ever be frequent enough to view them as competition.

Our competitors are nova, Kansas, Florida , etc. AKA National Championship Programs

Reaction Score
As I’ve said, they’ll get guys we prioritize occasionally. It won’t ever be frequent enough to view them as competition.

Our competitors are nova, Kansas, Florida , etc. AKA National Championship Programs

Our last 5 recruiting classes: #7, #39, #7, #25, #18 (average: 19)

Their last 5 recruiting classes: #68, #99, #103, #33, #127 (average: 86)

Rutgers is not on our level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom