Cam Spencer Appreciation Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cam Spencer Appreciation Thread

caw

Reaction Score
What I like about the way Hurley uses the portal it does feel like Hurley brings in transfers who were already well coached, and not a team of transfers, their the right fit like an NBA adding a vet who fits right.

Pretty damn good track record with transfers, RJ Cole, Tyrese Martin, Newton, Diarra, Joey C and Cam.

Def agree. It’s also helped a lot that he’s gotten his system and his players in now as freshmen to build continuity.

18-19 Yakwe and Smith

20-21 Cole and Martin

22-23 Newton, Diarra, Joey C, Alleyne

23-24 Cam

Yakwe I’d give some latitude to because he was injured most of the year. Smith wasn’t horrible but not great either. Since then he has really cleaned up in transfers with all pretty much exceeding expectations.

Reaction Score
I know people will laugh but for this years team, give me a choice of Hawkins staying or Spencer coming in? I’m happy with who we have this year let’s put it that way. The all around dynamic if what he brings is so important to this young team. Love his game and his passion.

Reaction Score
Since then he has really cleaned up in transfers with all pretty much exceeding expectations.
The theme every year is Hurley gets the best guys he can for what the team needs. It was going to be impossible to attract a player of Newton or Spencer's caliber coming off 2017. Now we are a destination, but Hurley lasers in on key team needs to fill out the roster instead of just going for the top-ranked guys

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I know people will laugh but for this years team, give me a choice of Hawkins staying or Spencer coming in? I’m happy with who we have this year let’s put it that way. The all around dynamic if what he brings is so important to this young team. Love his game and his passion.

I like Spencer and think he's been great but let's not get carried away. Hawk would be averaging 20+ if he was here this year and Spencer still gets beat off the dribble on the perimeter way too often.

Reaction Score
I like Spencer and think he's been great but let's not get carried away. Hawk would be averaging 20+ if he was here this year and Spencer still gets beat off the dribble on the perimeter way too often.

Hawk got beat off the dribble a lot too let’s not forget that. And he wasn’t at all the ball handler or passer that this kid is. And Spencer rebounds just as well. And one shoots it more consistent from 3 as well I didn’t get carried away it’s worth the debate no doubt. My preference for this team is simple because they need that fundamentally sound player. I respect anyone saying I’m nuts, but I’m being honest.

Reaction Score
He’s the type of guy that would put up 25 against us and would be the cause of great heartache for the BY. Glad he’s on our side, remember Steve Novak?
Thanks, had just finally gotten over the nightmares.;);)

Reaction Score
Nobody is comparing him to Hawkins, different players doing different things for the Huskies

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hawk got beat off the dribble a lot too let’s not forget that. And he wasn’t at all the ball handler or passer that this kid is. And Spencer rebounds just as well. And one shoots it more consistent from 3 as well I didn’t get carried away it’s worth the debate no doubt. My preference for this team is simple because they need that fundamentally sound player. I respect anyone saying I’m nuts, but I’m being honest.

Hawk wasn't perfect defensively but I wouldn't say he got beat off the dribble "a lot." He had much better foot speed and did a much better job staying in front of his man on the defensive end than Cam does. On the other side, he was the #1 player that opposing coaches planned their defensive strategy around. Cam is a great shooter, but he doesn't have an entire defense watching him on every possession like Hawkins. Now add the fact that if Hawkins stayed he would also have that extra year of development? He would be a first team All-American if he stayed.

Cam is a really good player, don't get me wrong, but I can't agree at all that we're better off with him over junior Hawkins, not if you're saying it's a one-for-one trade.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
That sequence where Cam got the rebound called TO then banged that 3 silencing that building was ball game, know there was time still but for all intents and purposes it was over went from a 4 pt game with plenty of time to 7 where you could afford to trade baskets.

I know we won’t get the whole story of Timberlake but I do wonder if Hurley had 2nd thoughts of getting him, remember we didn’t hear too much of getting Cam from what I remember, Timberlake seemed like a huge smoke scream.
I was wondering the same thing; did KU offer more $ or did we find out that Cam was interested in UConn and back off on Timberlake knowing that Cam was better suited to the Huskies and the Big East?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
"Nick. Nick...Timberlake. Who again?"

Book Looking GIF by GritTV

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Let’s be honest. He has come in and become the leader on the defending national champs.

And he’s better than both Sheffer and Henefeld. Without question.
He is rocketing up to Top 3 Favorite Husky to many fans.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I love the sequence where he was among 3 Huskies that had the ball taken away on an offensive rebound attempt. On the very next play on defensive end, he than stepped in to steal the ball on an intended Butler handoff and got the layup.
That stood out to me as well. He has knack for that kind of thing. Even in his last year, I think he can reach another level. He's never played with such good teammates before.

Reaction Score
Hawk wasn't perfect defensively but I wouldn't say he got beat off the dribble "a lot." He had much better foot speed and did a much better job staying in front of his man on the defensive end than Cam does. On the other side, he was the #1 player that opposing coaches planned their defensive strategy around. Cam is a great shooter, but he doesn't have an entire defense watching him on every possession like Hawkins. Now add the fact that if Hawkins stayed he would also have that extra year of development? He would be a first team All-American if he stayed.

Cam is a really good player, don't get me wrong, but I can't agree at all that we're better off with him over junior Hawkins, not if you're saying it's a one-for-one trade.

Agree and can’t argue with much of what you say. It’s a team game, Cam is better for this team simply because overall he’s a better basketball player. Not a better athlete at all and more than likely never a better pro as he may never sniff the top. But the way he thinks the game, the instincts in which he creates plays for others. Hawk never had it. And Hawk had Sanogo so let’s not get crazy on the other teams prepping for Hawk only that’s just not a fact. As of right now teams are making sure Spencer isn’t getting too many open looks either.

Again, to each his own I like the complete player for the ‘23-‘24 team all day.

Reaction Score
Joey California too
We live in a transfer era but these guys we’ve gotten in this era are surrounded by considerably more talent than past it’s an apples and oranges comparison our past transfers who were frequently asked to do things beyond their capabilities

Don’t forget we pioneered the grad transfer and lived by transfers on short handed teams We won an AAC starting 3 transfers
Rodney Purvis ( forced to play a 3 ) at 6’3”.
Shonn Miller undersized 4
Sterling Gibbs a two , played a lot of 1 because that’s were he was needed he Scored 20 against Kansas in the tourney
You also forgot Tyrese Martin who made an NBA roster
We had other guys like:

Lasan Kromah 6th man on a title team .
Then there’s the I’ll fated Terry Larrier . ACL
On deeper teams and injury free these guys might have created more memorable moments.
Theae are great players who shouldn’t be written off because of the situation .

Reaction Score
He's way better than Joey though, the case can easily be made that Cam is our best offensive player.
I am not so sure on the Joey C comments - I would rather leave that one alone. One one hand I can see why they get compared (grad/one year/experienced) but on the other hand, they are much different players.

Joey C had all kinds of mojo and he was like this X factor we haven’t seen in many years. Frankly there were a few occasions when he subbed in for J Hawkins - teams thought they were getting a break - and it was quite the opposite.

Cam is a special UConn player that is still in process of leaving his mark on the program.

Joey, to me, don’t care if he was a 1 year player - he‘s a lifetime husky in my book.

Reaction Score

Cam is a better offensive player here than Hawkins was here. Teams had to focus more on Hawk but Cam is a better dribbler, passer, and even a better open shooter than Hawk. What he lacks in athleticism he makes up for with more offensive skill and craft to his game.

Reaction Score
Agree and can’t argue with much of what you say. It’s a team game, Cam is better for this team simply because overall he’s a better basketball player. Not a better athlete at all and more than likely never a better pro as he may never sniff the top. But the way he thinks the game, the instincts in which he creates plays for others. Hawk never had it. And Hawk had Sanogo so let’s not get crazy on the other teams prepping for Hawk only that’s just not a fact. As of right now teams are making sure Spencer isn’t getting too many open looks either.

Again, to each his own I like the complete player for the ‘23-‘24 team all day.
This is a crazy take. Hawk would be averaging 25ppg if in NCAA this year and putting on a Ray Allen junior year kind of show every night. Cam's a solid player and great fit for this team, but I'd actually like to see his minutes come down a bit as Castle, Solo Ball & Diarra continue to improve. Last night Cam was obviously vital to wining particularly late, but prior to that game Cam's road splits were dismal (off games for Cam in UConn's two losses: injury vs Kansas & simply terrible game vs the Hall).

Reaction Score
This is a crazy take. Hawk would be averaging 25ppg if in NCAA this year and putting on a Ray Allen junior year kind of show every night. Cam's a solid player and great fit for this team, but I'd actually like to see his minutes come down a bit as Castle, Solo Ball & Diarra continue to improve. Last night Cam was obviously vital to wining particularly late, but prior to that game Cam's road splits were dismal (off games for Cam in UConn's two losses: injury vs Kansas & simply terrible game vs the Hall).

Crazier take by you. His minutes down lol. What are you watching my God? I can’t imagine anyone wanting his minutes down. I like Solo Ball but thinking we need to let him improve instead of keeping a really impactful player in the game is bizarre :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I was wondering the same thing; did KU offer more $ or did we find out that Cam was interested in UConn and back off on Timberlake knowing that Cam was better suited to the Huskies and the Big East?
It’s a great question, Hurley having jersey ties I’m sure played a role, could’ve been as simple as reaching out to him or vice versa, and Hurley just falling in love with the interview process, maybe Timberlake telling Hurley he was visiting Kansas after his visit rubbed Hurley wrong way and made the decision easier.

Reaction Score
What's crazy is wanting Cam's minutes to go down. All anyone is talking about is them as players at UConn. Everyone knows how old they are, who cares? Cam is the better overall offensive player at UConn, it has nothing to do with projecting them down the road or how Hawk could've performed as an uperclassman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom