• Golden Hearts (70-79)

Votes: 50 86.2%
  • Golden Golden Heart (80+)

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
One of my favorite stories is about a geezer who is being interviewed by a local reporter on the occasion of his 100th birthday. Reporter; "Tell us, Clem, what it is like to be 100.:" "Well, sonny, it is like being 21 and having a whole lot of wrong with you."

Reaction Score
Longtime fan, I really wish I had! I look forward to seeing her play for UConn in the future!

Reaction Score
I will be 73 the day after Christmas, I have been a UConn fan since the 1960's. Also been a boneyard member I believe since the very beginning. Grow up in Enfield CT, and moved to AZ in 2008.

Reaction Score
We didn't get our first color TV until I was 11-12 . Because we didn't have one, we didn't miss it........until we saw one on display at a major appliance store. :eek: We were not handcuffed to a TV or a cellphone all day. We (as kids) grew up being outdoors all day every day. We knew every kid in the neighborhood in a 3-4 block radius. Most of us had bikes, and rode them all around the neighborhood visiting every kid's house we knew.

We found things to keep our interest and friends to keep us busy and entertained. We had options and we used them. We built scooters and go-carts out of scrap wood using those old clamp skates. Some of these poor children today are in bondage. They are prisoners of their cellphones. They stare into their phones every waking moment, putting them down only to sleep. :confused: I am so glad cellphones had not been invented during my youth.

When I recall to my grandchildren all of the things that we have now, that had not been invented yet when I was a kid, they are in awe, wondering "how did you survive the day?" No cellphones, no computers or internet, no WiFi, no social media, no DVD recorders, no color TV or remotes to change the channels. No microwave ovens, no digital anything!!! My youngest GD told me "it sounds like you guys lived in the stone age" :confused: She said no way could she have lived "in the olden days." I tried to explain to her that you don't miss things you never had. :)
Carnac, made me laugh as I sit for upwards of 2 hours a day reading posts here. I think I'm in BY bondage :)

Also no instant replay because they had to physically rewind the tape which could take several minutes meanwhile the game moved on. I also remember watching a live sporting event from Europe, but you could only get 15 or 20 minutes because they were bouncing the signal off a satellite that was moving out of position.

FYI, I'm a mere baby here on the BY (pre-70).

Reaction Score
I too am cell phone free. Good to see another with the courage of other distractions.
99% of the time I only turn my cell phone on to run WAZE which is a heck of a lot better than trying to read an atlas while driving. Guys I know who are about my age are like 13-year-old girls with their cell phones never more than 10 inches from their noses. Unbelievable!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
99% of the time I only turn my cell phone on to run WAZE which is a heck of a lot better than trying to read an atlas while driving. Guys I know who are about my age are like 13-year-old girls with their cell phones never more than 10 inches from their noses. Unbelievable!
A lot of folks don’t have a sense of direction, or a Thomas Brother’s Guide (remember those?). If you drive and have a cellphone, you have no excuse for ever getting lost.

Something that intrigues me is when I see women/girls walking around in a store, a mall or simply in public with their phone in their hand instead in their purses or pocket. It must be a female thing. I never carry my phone in my hand. It’s always either in my back or shirt pocket.

I was standing in line behind a teenager and her mother recently in a Panda Express restaurant. We stood in line for about 10 minutes. The teenager took her phone out of her pocket, scrolled through a display, looked at it then put it away about a dozen times.

I wanted to ask her what she kept looking for, but didn’t. None of my business, but it sure looked odd to me. Maybe it was nervousness, or boredom. Whatever, but she was tied to her phone. I’ve had people tell me their phone was their life and admitted not being able to live without it. That’s bondage. :confused:

I do admit to spending a lot of time on it looking at the boneyard like I’m doing now, but being retired, I have a lot of extra time now. :) I check WCBB scores throughout the day every day.

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
A lot of folks don’t have a sense of direction, or a Thomas Brother’s Guide (remember those?). If you drive and have a cellphone, you have no excuse for ever getting lost.

Something that intrigues me is when I see women/girls walking around in a store, a mall or simply in public with their phone in their hand instead in their purses or pocket. It must be a female thing. I never carry my phone in my hand. It’s always either in my back or shirt pocket.

I was standing in line behind a teenager and her mother recently in a Panda Express restaurant. We stood in line for about 10 minutes. The teenager took her phone out of her pocket, scrolled through a display, looked at it then put it away about a dozen times.

I wanted to ask her what she kept looking for, but didn’t. None of my business, but it sure looked odd to me. Maybe it was nervousness, or boredom. Whatever, but she was tied to her phone. I’ve had people tell me their phone was their life and admitted not being able to live without it. That’s bondage. :confused:

I do admit to spending a lot of time on it looking at the boneyard like I’m doing now, but being retired, I have a lot of extra time now. :) I check WCBB scores throughout the day every day.
Phones, what a pain in the backside. We have all seen some pretty strange stuff going on with the younger generation. One of the strangest to me, and I have seen it a few times, out to eat, a couple at a nearby table, both people phone out looking nowhere else, fingers flying over the screen typing away. Only to find out they were texting back and forth to each other. Good grief, can you imagine any golden people, BY or otherwise doing that?
A big welcome to all who have checked in since the count was at 46 of us. A reminder at the beginning of this thread is a survey, please remember to check the appropriate box on if you are a golden or golden+.

Reaction Score
Just reached the super annuation level this year. That means I can remember watching Don Larsen's perfect game in '56, and Bucky Dent's HR two decades later. I once met Bobby Thomson, and I told him, "Bobby, I'm one of the few people in America who was NOT at that game," to which he replied, "Well, you're an honest man." Also got to meet Don Budge, America's last true grand slam tennis champion.

I was privileged to be present for a lot of exciting sporting events:

Got to see a lot of Mickey and Yogi.
The final game of the '77 WS, when Reggie hit 3 HRs on his only 3 swings.
David Cone's perfect game.
Chris Chambliss' pennant-clinching HR in the '76 AL playoffs.
Bob Cousy's final home game at Boston Garden, in game 5 of the '64 NBA finals.
NCAA finals in '68, UCLA over UNC.
NCAA Far West regional final a year later, UCLA over Santa Clara, in Lew Alcindor's final home game at Pauley Pavilion.
At the AAU track meet in Sacramento in '68, I saw three men break 10 seconds in the 100m for the first time in history.
Saw the great Don Schollander of Yale in a dual meet at Stanford.
Saw the great Steve Prefontaine win a race on his home track at Eugene.
I was AT the Heidi Game in Oakland in '68 -- one of the 50,000 who actually saw those last 63 seconds -- in the last game the Jets would lose before winning the "Third World Championship Game" (that's when they changed the name to "Super Bowl III").
I saw the great Roberto Clemente set a MLB record at Dodger Stadium in '70 -- the only player to score 5 or more runs in a second consecutive game.
At the '76 Olympics, I was at the Montreal Forum to see Poland upset USSR in the Men's Volleyball finals.
Took my 10-year-old son to the WS clincher in '96, and the scoreboard wished him a happy birthday during the 7th inning stretch.

Yeah, it's been a great run. And you know what would be a capper? Geno bringing home #12.

Reaction Score

Interesting subject, those phones. An anecdotal “experiment” a teaching colleague of my daughter conducted when the school year opened in September. He teaches 8th grade science and broke the class into groups of 4 for a two day classroom mini-project. At the end of the two days they were asked to each hand in their summation of the project. When reviewing the summaries he was taken aback by the disparate nature of the reports from within the groups, so he decided to try it again under different “rules.”
So, a week later, he repeated the exercise with different topics, same groupings, but had the kids only communicate via texting, no talking. The summaries were markedly more similar and reflected the shared experience he was hoping would occur.
Certainly, the difference in the nature of the two tasks should not at all be solely attributed to the texting; the familiarity of the 2nd time around both in terms of the grouping and the format, as well as the changing of topics would obviously come into play but I found it an interesting result nonetheless.

Reaction Score
One golden and one two months away from golden golden
But first need to get by NC State today

Reaction Score
One of the real geezers at 82. When I was studying electronics at RPI in the 1950's the semiconductor stuff wasn't even in books yet! All the semiconductor material was on handouts of those old purple ditto sheets. (The 70 year olds might remember them. ;)) I also remember a fraternity brother who was a graduate TA in electronics trying in vain to teach me and my roommate the binary numbering system.
Which for me would be 1010001.

Reaction Score
It s not nice to ask someone his age I was always told. But to help keep the average age true I was born in 1949 but I lost count somewhere around age 60 so my clients don't think I am too old.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom