• Golden Hearts (70-79)

Votes: 50 86.2%
  • Golden Golden Heart (80+)

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This was posted by @donalddoowop, I just reposted to add the poll.

A few years ago, I read on the Boneyard (BY) that many of the fans who come to the UConn home games are elderly. So, I wonder how many who post on the BY are elderly.
  • A Golden Heart is anyone between the ages of 70 to 79.
  • A Golden, Golden Heart is anyone 80 years old or older, of which I am one.

Those of us who lived through the golden years of movies, television, Doo Wop, Baseball, and Football. Those of us who don't get excited when reading a posting about a recruit who graduates in 2024, 2025 or later. Although we may be optimists, we will be thankful just to be alive then. I will feel blessed to get the opportunity to see Paige and Brady play together next season.

So, if you don't mind admitting it, how many of you fall in either category? We may have a lot of things in common.

Reaction Score
OK I will confess to being a Golden Heart (71), but because I live most of the year in The Villages, Florida, by the standards here I am clearly middle aged! I see old people everywhere that go out of their way not to act their age. I pay some attention to 2024 recruits, but because we don't buy any green bananas, I don't pay much attention beyond that.

Many refer to themselves as frogs when they retire here in Florida because they come here to croak! Still I have to spend a few months in the Vegas area every year to see more people that are not chronologically challenged.

From a Uconn perspective (74 graduate) that means remembering men's games in the Fieldhouse, before women's basketball was a thing, before Gampel, Geno, and when we were in the Yankee Conference. From some of the posts, I sense there are quite a few geezers on this board, and I will learn more about some of them in this thread.

Reaction Score
I love this thread, HuskyNan, and thank you for it. I'm not sure whether it was you or Donald speaking, but I do admit I was surprised to read you're a Golden, Golden Heart. Your writing, sharp wit and patience with all of us tell me you wear it well.

I am a Golden, almost halfway along toward the GGH stage. Perhaps the best way to define my age on the BY would be to say my first favorite college basketball players were the Huskies' Toby Kimball and Wes Bialosuknia. I was 15 and devastated when Fred Shabel's Huskies lost a 67-61 decision to Matty Guokas and St. Joe's in the 1965 NCAA tournament. Wes had a bad shooting night but Toby came to play in his final game in a UConn uniform, scoring 21 and hauling down a Palestra record 29 rebounds... I believe he led the country in rebounding that season.

Cheers, and good health to everyone who's achieved either of the 'Golden' decades. Slainte!

Reaction Score
Oh yes…Covid and stage 4 in 2020 but very alive in 2023…you have little idea how important Storrs is to me - and thousands more. Driving solo to Omaha from KC in December…and even might think Dallas in the Spring. Tough day ? Nah…say Yes UConn once each day…and keep your apps, your streaming device, your cable provider, your user code, your password, and your remotes in order. And keep your phone, tablet, and your National Flag Blue Tooth out of the hands of those devilish little Androids. Also that thingamajig that only your grandchild really knows how to work. We’ll leave uploads and downloads for another day.

And keep your powder dry.

Reaction Score
Originally posted by @donalddoowop, I just added the poll.

A few years ago, I read on the Boneyard (BY) that many of the fans who come to the UConn home games are elderly. So, I wonder how many who post on the BY are elderly.

Those of us who lived through the golden years of movies, television, Doo Wop, Baseball, and Football. Those of us who don't get excited when reading a posting about a recruit who graduates in 2024, 2025 or later. Although we may be optimists, we will be thankful just to be alive then. I will feel blessed to get the opportunity to see Paige and Brady play together next season.

So, if you don't mind admitting it, how many of you fall in either category? We may have a lot of things in common.
I am not ashamed in admitting that I am 89 years old and really love Uconn women's basketball. I also am patiently waiting for when this team finally gets to play with everyone together. Next year will be a record setting team with no limit to what they will be able to accomplish. What has kept me young is I am only 25 in my head, My body has gotten older,but my brain has not. I am looking as far as being around to see the 25-26 team play, God willing. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
72 next Monday but very, very lucky to still able to be extremely active; I still work between 30-40 hours per week and walk between 7-10 miles religiously every day. Even more luckily able to watch my youngest grandchild 3 afternoons a week after pre-school.
I have referenced things my maternal grandmother taught me several times in my posts and the “never had the opportunity to go to school” very wise Irish immigrant once told me about age when I turned 16; “Always remember if you had been hit by a bus at 15 you were old at 14, so every day you use the Lord’s oxygen is a good one, some are just better than others.” I have never forgotten those words. I haven’t always lived by them but I certainly have tried.

Reaction Score
This is a very apt topic because today is my birthday. I just turned 75. I feel a lot younger. I live in Berkeley and have been a cyclist since 1982. I love UConn womens' basketball and can't wait for the season to start each year. Thank you Nan for doing such a wonderful job moderating the site.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Nan, you're doing a great job moderating this board. Thank you. Your youthful posts had me thinking that you were much younger than I am.
I just turned 74; I live in AZ and have been a road cyclist since 1970. I can only ride every third day now, sad.

Reaction Score
I want to say how in awe I am of the ’older’ people on this board. They’ve embraced technology (internet, computers, smart phones) and learned to use it. It may not seem like a big deal to those of you who have done it, but I’ve tried more than once to teach my mom and she just couldn’t master it. My hat is off to you.

Reaction Score
I want to say how in awe I am of the ’older’ people on this board. They’ve embraced technology (internet, computers, smart phones) and learned to use it. It may not seem like a big deal to those of you who have done it, but I’ve tried more than once to teach my mom and she just couldn’t master it. My hat is off to you.
Being honest, I have far from embraced technology but between children, nieces and nephews, and now, astonishingly, grandchildren I can get always someone to resolve my fumbling issues.

Reaction Score
I am 80. I am a bit worn out due to service connected disabilities. I sit on my arse and the computer more than I like because the legs and spine are taking a dump. Thank you Lyrica for getting me on my feet. But, I get real excited about watching the young women and the men play basketball. I really do anticfipate the beginning and dread the end of the season.

Just a note, I was sent to the IBM Education Center in 1967 on military technology so my familiarity with "most" of the technology out today is reasonable, but, I am losing it. Have you ever walked into a garage and stood their for a second and say: "why did I come out here?" and then see what you want and return to your project.

Here's to another year for all of us!

Reaction Score
Originally posted by @donalddoowop, I just added the poll.

I'm 23 months shy of 70, and not hurrying it along. Still working, and I thank God that Geno and CD still are too.

Came on board for the '94 Final Four loss, and watched virtually every game from November 94 on.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
From the neck up, I have delusions of being in my twenties.
Just finished splitting 8 cord of firewood. (took me 6 weeks).
Now I can't raise my right arm to horizontal. BUT… I woke up on the right side of the grass this morning, so all is good. My beloved tells me I'm much too old for such activities, but she doesn't hesitate to have me rearrange furniture.
70 is well behind me. Guess that means it's time to learn some new language(s). Vôce acha?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom