Calling all Huskies (Offering 2 tix for tomorrow for next best MarkersMuppet responses) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Calling all Huskies (Offering 2 tix for tomorrow for next best MarkersMuppet responses)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Woah, Skinner, this is awesome!

I see a lot of people throwing my name in the ring, but I am on a self-imposed ban from going to MSG when UConn is playing there. I've been there 3 times and I've witnessed 3 losses - UK, St. John's (2011) and NC State. I believe in the power of mojo, and by being in UConn's presence at MSG, I'll be putting that in jeopardy.

We can't have that happen. I can't believe I'd ever say this, but I'm much more comfortable watching at home and photoshopping Senhor Testiculo than being in person at MSG.
You have no idea how much testiculos it takes to man up and say that. You my friend, are a legend. Like almost on Big Red/Blue n' White guy level.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We can't have that happen. I can't believe I'd ever say this, but I'm much more comfortable watching at home and photoshopping Senhor Testiculo than being in person at MSG.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Reaction Score
If anybody else desperately wants to go, I can meet you somewhere in the city. Otherwise I'm probably going to bring my mother. Thanks so much for the opportunity, huskies92, it's something I'll never forget.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The day was March 29th, 1999. The boy was lying in bed, staring at the ceiling, the youthfulness and freedom of childhood briefly confined. It was his daily sentence to the ten hours of purgatory known to his parents as bedtime. Suddenly, he heard a yell from the unmistakable voice of his father. The young boy scampered downstairs, liberated from his personal imprisonment. His father screamed, “Look at the TV! Connecticut shocked the world!” The boy looked at the TV just in time to see a middle-aged basketball coach lifting his arms in joy as pure as the boy’s. Fifteen years, a couple feet, and bushels of facial hair later, hardened by the challenges of adolescence, few things remain the same. One thing that does, however, is my love of Connecticut basketball, and that all started with Jim Calhoun.

Unlike many in the coaching fraternity, Calhoun was not gifted with the benefits of family connections or superior athletic genetics. While coaching at Northeastern, he burst onto the radar of college basketball. Fourteen years later, Calhoun landed at Connecticut, a perennial doormat in the Big East Conference. Twenty seven years after taking that job, Calhoun retired a legend. If making lemonade from lemons is considered admirable, Calhoun’s creation of an empire from his bare hands is nothing short of heroic.

In an age where political correctness is nearly overbearing, Calhoun’s type is a dying breed. As a coach, he was content to dismiss concerns about his public perception to ensure that his values were paramount within his program. He was not perfect, but whatever flaws he had, he wore on his sleeve. The man was always willing to give a troubled kid a chance, even if self-righteous media members criticized him from their moral mountaintops. Polish, lipstick, and glamor were punted away at the expense of toughness, courage, and loyalty, a resounding theme that has endured into the Kevin Ollie years and been adopted passionately by his players.

If the opponent were anyone but Michigan State, I would advice you to give the ticket to someone else. The first Connecticut basketball game I attended in my lifetime was 1,822 days ago, in Detroit. I was accompanied by my father, who turned on the radio when his old, rugged BMW - which we had been driving in for upwards of 16 hours at that point, from our home in Massachusetts - finally crawled within 30 miles of Ford Field. "The place is littered with Spartan green", the local talk show host boasted. "This place holds 70,000 people, and I expect 50,000 Michigan State fans will be here." As my father and I marched into Ford Field, the estimate proved to be frighteningly accurate. To this day, I've never been to a louder venue. The rambunctious crowd propelled the Spartans to victory, and to my dying day I'll remember being swallowed up by one big wave of Spartan ectasy as I sat in my seat in the upper deck, begging for the opportunity to one day return the favor.

As one of the sole Husky fans who braved the hostile elements of Ford Field that day, I believe the mojo dictates that I reap the rewards of a decidedly pro-Husky crowd on hand tomorrow. Jim Calhoun's hand-picked successor, Kevin Ollie, debuted against a nearly identical Spartan team fourteen months ago on a Naval base, and in just over 16 hours, he'll meet them again for a chance to go to the final four. The symmetry of it all is glaringly palpable, and as somebody who is eternally grateful for the kids who remained loyal to the program when they had every opportunity to bolt, I'd forfeit my left thumb for the chance to watch them in the world's most famous arena one last time. Yesterday afternoon, I departed for New York City at 1 PM, and arrived back in my bed at 6 AM Saturday morning. And do you know what? I'd love nothing more than to do it all over again. And while I can't promise a victory, what I can promise is that my voice will be hopelessly hoarse by the time its all over. Jim Calhoun, Kevin Ollie, and the kids on the team who have devoted more to their craft than we could ever comprehend deserve at least that much.

I can't tell you who to give the tickets to, huskies92. There are a lot of staunchly loyal posters on this board, and I wouldn't fault you for giving the tickets to any of them. But if you're looking for somebody to share and embrace the gift of UConn basketball with, I can assure you I will not disappoint. We may be total strangers. But for forty minutes tomorrow, we might as well be lifetime friends united by one common bond. If I'm lucky enough to win them, I'd be more than happy to bring another poster along with me. Whether I'm watching with you tomorrow, or here on my couch, people like you and everyone else on this board are what make this program a joy to root for. Go Huskies.

That was pretty glorious champs.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If anybody else desperately wants to go, I can meet you somewhere in the city. Otherwise I'm probably going to bring my mother. Thanks so much for the opportunity, huskies92, it's something I'll never forget.

If your mother is going to yell and scream, take her. There's good mojo in that.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Congrats Champs, well deserved. Thanks Skinner for being a leader & ambassador of the program. I had the good fortune to listen to you speak at the practice facility ground breaking ceremony. We spoke for a few minutes, after the event, & I know you're very proud of UConn basketball tonight. Thank you.

Reaction Score
nk0kKdX.png

Reaction Score
Congrats champs, well deserving and man what an opportunity for you to sit with a legend!! I wish it could have been me but a great fan like yourself and the #1 guy and his friends will have a super time, a memorable one I am sure.

Alright I fed the dog and let her out and the palms are already sweating, it's game day boys and girls………"Let's DO THIS"

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
"To worry, worry, super-scurry
Call the troops out in a hurry
This is what we've waiting for
This is it boys, this is war" -Nena 99 Red Ballons

KevinOllieSyracuseGame.jpg
Und jetzt fang ich erst an
das ist der Anfang

And now I am just starting
This is the beginning - Nena

Obligatory link to one really great video - The guitarist is local NYC legend John Andrews

Reaction Score
Wow, what a cool gesture and really it's the opportunity of a lifetime to go see UConn play at the Garden in the Elite 8. Congrats to the winner! It's great to see something like this and read some positive posts on the boneyard.

I don't care what Vegas says, or any talking head on tv. This is our arena! This is our City! This is our game!

Let's Go UConn!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Skinner, you are the man. What an awesome gesture. Thanks for being such a great fan. The so called "suits" that sit courtside at games get a bad rap, but I think anyone here would be hard pressed to find a more devoted fan than you.

And Champs, I'm so pumped up for you man! You've done do much for this board with your long writeups on this team throughout the year. You've always said this team has a chance to go far, even at times this year when many gave up on that hope. And now you get the chance to be there up close and personal when it (hopefully!) happens.

Have fun guys, and GO HUSKIES!!!!!

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Well deserved @champs99and04, your post was terrific. You're one of my favorite posters on this board. When you provide your basketball analysis and observations of the games, no one is as knowledgeable or well-spoken as you. Enjoy the game!

This thread is awesome. Mojo risin'
#bleedblue

Reaction Score
All I can say is, if you don't believe in the mojo, you weren't in the Garden today. In my post last night, I said that Ford Field in 2009 was the loudest venue I've ever been to. That all changed today. The turn-out was beyond inspiring. You guys already know I'll have some x's and o's/player analysis stuff up over the next day or two (spoiler alert, this team is really f'in good), but for now all I want to do is celebrate and appreciate what was one of the best experiences of my life. I was lucky enough to be the recipient of Skinner's generosity, but it could have just easily been anyone, you were all equally deserving.

Skinner - words can't describe how much of a thrill it was to meet you and watch the game. Thank you for one of the best days of my life.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
All I can say is, if you don't believe in the mojo, you weren't in the Garden today. In my post last night, I said that Ford Field in 2009 was the loudest venue I've ever been to. That all changed today. The turn-out was beyond inspiring. You guys already know I'll have some x's and o's/player analysis stuff up over the next day or two (spoiler alert, this team is really f'in good), but for now all I want to do is celebrate and appreciate what was one of the best experiences of my life. I was lucky enough to be the recipient of Skinner's generosity, but it could have just easily been anyone, you were all equally deserving.

Skinner - words can't describe how much of a thrill it was to meet you and watch the game. Thank you for one of the best days of my life.

Did you take your mom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc