Calhoun and Ollie both on with BIG Mike | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calhoun and Ollie both on with BIG Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think I'm just kind of surprised. Since I've only really gotten into following basketball as much as I do now in the past two years, I thought retirement meant done. But now with Larry Brown doing what he is I guess it does make sense that someone who bleeds basketball as much as Calhoun does would want to continue.
I think retirement means something different for everyone. For Calhoun, it was something he struggled with because he knew he didn't want to be done for good, but he also knew the toll his health problems had on the team the prior season, and he just wasn't in good enough health heading into the 2012-13 season to be confident that he could avoid the same problems again. To his credit, I think he realized it would not have been good for the program; but I don't think for a second that he wasn't wishing he could have gone another few seasons.

Reaction Score
Can't we just find him a country somewhere ... and have him Coach that National Team?

I would hate to see him in the same bracket in March. I'd rather laugh when I see him coaching the Germans in the Olympics.

Reaction Score
I listened to Calhoun on Mad Dog yesterday. He definitely sounded like he wanted to coach again. If he does go back to coaching I'd like to see him take over a down program and raise it up (other than BC of course), like Larry Brown did with SMU. A low stress job where even a moderate amount of success would please everyone. He doesn't need a high pressure job if he has health issues.

I also got the sense that he would take the BC job if it were offered, but he knows that they won't call, so he said that he wasn't interested. I could be 100% wrong about that, but from the tone of the conversation, and the way JC answered questions, that was the impression that I came away with.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Maybe Calhoun will coach the Tennessee Women't team and renew the series with UConn. You think the Geno vs Pat build up was over the top, wait until the Geno vs Jim battle! :)

That is acutally hilarious. Could you imagine Calhoun coaching a women's team..that would be made for TV drama! :)

Reaction Score
I would like to see him go to Tulane. That would be a big challenge and make them a viable AAC member.

Reaction Score
Here is what he said. The right college, the right situation, if he could take an assistant that would be the next coach. That's a rare situation because who's gonna let him choose the next coach? Only UCONN would do that IMO and that was pretty close.
UConn really didn't allow JC to pick the next coach. JC cleverly waited until it was too late to bring in someone before he announced his retirement. JC manipulated the situation to get Ollie the job. UConn didn't have much choice and that is why Ollie didn't get a guaranteed contract right away. It worked for JC, it worked for Ollie and it ended up working for UConn.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind JC coaching somewhere else but for his health I would prefer he stays retired. He's getting up there in age and I think part of why he feels and looks so good these days is because he is retired. The way he coached it took a lot out of him, I've never seen a coach who was so driven almost to the point of obsession. The retired life with plenty of time spent on the golf course seems to have treated him well health wise and I'm not sure the stresses of college coaching would be the best thing for him. I love the guy and want to see him happy and healthy with whatever he does the rest of his life.

Reaction Score
Definitely sounded like he wanted to coach again... However, I can't see him leaving New England so that narrows things down. Then, I can't see him taking a team that is in the toilet. I'd imagine he'd want a decent team now or at least a team with some prospects and make one last run. As great as JC is, I can't imagine a team wanting to take him on given his age, health, and persona.

Reaction Score
JC pretty much announced he is open for business. Obviously Larry Brown has inspired him to be receptive to the idea of coming back.

The school that should do it is St Johns, fire Lavin bring in JC. JC would take that job in a nano second and turn it around quickly. Pikiell would be the obvious coach in waiting.

Don't c k with Pikiell. Leave him where he is at OK? ;) I'm giving him one or two more years to get SBU to the NCAAs before I go crazy. Been waiting for five years already...

Reaction Score
Someone pull some strings to get Calhoun the Canada national team gig this moment so we can put this to bed right away.

Reaction Score
Reason why I don't mind too much if he comes back: I want as few coaches as possible to pass his win total. If he coaches for 3-5 years, he ends up with 925-1000 wins. Very few coaches will be able to do that.

Reaction Score
why couldnt these discussions happen last year? when we were irrelevant and not on the cusp of 2 games till the final four?

We're UConn. We are never irrelevant. (But I agree with your point).

Reaction Score
I wonder if JC would consider taking a job somewhere as an assistant. I know it sounds crazy, since he's one of the best head coaches of all-time, but think about it: the travel and stress demands are far less substantial, he'd still be able to reap the benefits of daily interaction with the players and everything else he seems to miss about coaching, and his unparalleled basketball intellect would be of enormous value to a program.

It would never work here, because obviously it would undermine Ollie's power to an extent. But somewhere else? I feel like it would be perfect. He could do everything he loves - teaching, developing, cursing kids out, etc. - while leaving all the baggage that comes with recruiting, leading a program, and everything else to somebody with more energy and political skills.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
If JC wants to coach again he can be an assistant like Blaney or Gene Keady. Much less demanding.

Reaction Score

I also got the sense that he would take the BC job if it were offered, but he knows that they won't call, so he said that he wasn't interested..

Thats it in a nutshell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22