Calhoun and Ollie both on with BIG Mike | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Calhoun and Ollie both on with BIG Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I appreciate what Calhoun has done for us building the program and it's success and wish him well if he wants to keep coaching but My main concern is for UCONN's basketball program. The end of his watch was not pretty and who knows if it contributed to our black hole of conference realignment, it sure didn't help. I would rather hear that he is going to stay on watch with KO until the footing of our program is rock solid in all respects. He could join Manuel and Herbst to help do whatever can be done to get us into a power 5 conference, he still has a lot of influence and charm when he wants. He's still needed here and wanted here, he's accomplished it all and doesn't need the money. Just my take.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I appreciate what Calhoun has done for us building the program and it's success and wish him well if he wants to keep coaching but My main concern is for UCONN's basketball program. The end of his watch was not pretty and who knows if it contributed to our black hole of conference realignment, it sure didn't help. I would rather hear that he is going to stay on watch with KO until the footing of our program is rock solid in all respects. He could join Manuel and Herbst to help do whatever can be done to get us into a power 5 conference, he still has a lot of influence and charm when he wants. He's still needed here and wanted here, he's accomplished it all and doesn't need the money. Just my take.
The last thing it's about is money. It's his life. He doesn't want it to end. He wasn't ready for retirement, but the uncertainty about his health issues forced it. He's feeling better now, and probably feeling under-utilized in comparison to what he would like to do. In his case, that likely means calling the shots. Someone mentioned him being an assistant coach somewhere like Blaney--can anyone really see him doing that? I can't.

When the "news" first broke ESPN had Bilas and Digger discussing it, and both said it took Bobby Knight three years to finally accept retirement and not think about getting back into the game. Both also thought Calhoun would be a great hire for the right school.

Reaction Score
the recruiting issue probably is a roadblock; look at the many recruiting misses of the previous regime

Reaction Score
Getting back to Mike and KO - good interview for the most part but MF ending it on "This will be a great game, up and down probably in the 80's type game…."

Uh Mike - If it's in the 80's I don't like our chances as much quite honestly, do your homework! If we keep it in the 60's-low 70's we're in it and we're defending, they're missing shots, we're rebounding! Then I like our chances!

Reaction Score
why couldnt these discussions happen last year? when we were irrelevant and not on the cusp of 2 games till the final four?
Or two weeks from now. Its kinda unfair to Ollie, his first tournament and Calhoun is getting attention. I doubt if Calhoun wanted it this way, but come on coach defer attention to Ollie (and the remarkable job he's done) for one more week, please.

Reaction Score
South Carolina is the obvious job for Jim.

But if he wanted to have fun, not jeopardize his health and go back to his roots. Northwestern make a lot of sense.

Reaction Score
South Carolina is the obvious job for Jim.

But if he wanted to have fun, not jeopardize his health and go back to his roots. Northwestern make a lot of sense.
Assume you meant Northeastern.

Reaction Score
If JC wants to coach again he can be an assistant like Blaney or Gene Keady. Much less demanding.
No way he ever takes a job as an assistant. His ego is way too big and he doesn't need a job.

Reaction Score
Assume you meant Northeastern.
I doubt JC would go backwards like that, but maybe since he is a Boston guy. Very comfortable lifestyle to move into a city in your retirement so maybe that's attractive and a school like Northeastern minimizes the recruiting demands. They would come to him there.

I could also see SFlorida even though they are in UConn's conference. Calhoun certainly wouldn't take a job at a UConn rival or major competitor, but I'd be he'd rationalize that one into boosting both SF and UConn by raising the profile of the conference.

All of these possibilities are probably < 10% chance though. For example not much less likely than Calhoun considering coaching the Knicks if Big Chief Triangle called.

Rather than hurt the program, I think talk about Calhoun coaching again is good for the UConn brand. And that (more likely than him actually taking a job), I think is the biggest reason he's throwing his hat into the ring a bit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I doubt if Calhoun wanted it this way, but come on coach defer attention to Ollie (and the remarkable job he's done) for one more week, please.

I'm not so sure. He's talking to anyone with mic. If UConn lost last week he'd only be getting a fraction of the attention. But KO and the team seem to be fine with it, it gives the UConn story wider reach just when they could use it so I'm OK with it myself (not that it matters).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom