Buzz Williams/Student Section | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Buzz Williams/Student Section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I never really liked him, always thought he was a wacko and full of himself. Bottom line is the guys like 40 talking back to a bunch of 18-20 year old kids. And by the way you will never see a Roy Williams, Coach K, Tom Izzo, or Calhoun do something like that.

Reaction Score
I remember last year when Ben Hansbrough taunted the student section. He looked like an idiot when his team lost in the second round to FSU.

Reaction Score
LOL the students are hardly "offended." It doesn't hurt them in any way for Buzz to clap at them and say something. The point is that it's unprofessional.

Reaction Score
If you yell expletives to someone, don't be surprised if the sentiments are returned.

Professionalism has just as much relevance in this issue as the issue itself.

Reaction Score
If you yell expletives to someone, don't be surprised if the sentiments are returned.

Eh, you're wrong - it's pretty lame for a coach to taunt a student section.

That doesn't change the fact that I don't give a duck* about this story (neither should anyone, really), but it's still a pretty lame thing for a coach to do.

Reaction Score
Eh, you're wrong - it's pretty lame for a coach to taunt a student section.

That doesn't change the fact that I don't give a duck* about this story (neither should anyone, really), but it's still a pretty lame thing for a coach to do.

Yeah, he decided to do it out of the blue after a road win. Got it.

Reaction Score

Are you saying it was ok for Buzz to return the favor to the student section, regardless of whether or not it was professional of him to do so? In your estimation, it is ok to yell expletives at someone while you are on the job, even knowing fully well that it is a part of the job?

If that is not what you're getting at, please correct me because I am just misinterpreting it, but if that is what you're saying, allow me to provide an example of why this is not acceptable.

I teach in the inner city. I hear expletives all day every day, and occasionally they are even directed toward me. That is fine, I realize that is a part of the job - if I'm not able to accept that, then I shouldn't be working in the position I do. In no way will it ever be acceptable for me to use profanity toward a student, even if they use it toward me first. I will lose my job within 5 minutes if I do that.
Similarly, think about customer service representatives, telemarketers, credit collectors, etc. I'm sure they hear rudeness and profanity all the time, but they know it is part of the job, so they do not treat customers in the same way they are treated by the customers. If they do, they also will lose their jobs.

In general, you are correct - no one should be surprised if they yell expletives at someone and the sentiments are returned. However, if someone takes a job knowing full well that being mocked and cursed at is part of the deal, they shouldn't be returning those sentiments.

Reaction Score
Are you saying it was ok for Buzz to return the favor to the student section, regardless of whether or not it was professional of him to do so? In your estimation, it is ok to yell expletives at someone while you are on the job, even knowing fully well that it is a part of the job?

If that is not what you're getting at, please correct me because I am just misinterpreting it, but if that is what you're saying, allow me to provide an example of why this is not acceptable.

I teach in the inner city. I hear expletives all day every day, and occasionally they are even directed toward me. That is fine, I realize that is a part of the job - if I'm not able to accept that, then I shouldn't be working in the position I do. In no way will it ever be acceptable for me to use profanity toward a student, even if they use it toward me first. I will lose my job within 5 minutes if I do that.
Similarly, think about customer service representatives, telemarketers, credit collectors, etc. I'm sure they hear rudeness and profanity all the time, but they know it is part of the job, so they do not treat customers in the same way they are treated by the customers. If they do, they also will lose their jobs.

In general, you are correct - no one should be surprised if they yell expletives at someone and the sentiments are returned. However, if someone takes a job knowing full well that being mocked and cursed at is part of the deal, they shouldn't be returning those sentiments.

This is well put. I don't think you will ever see Bill Self, Tom Izzo, Roy Williams, Coach K, Calhoun, or Boeheim yell expletives at the crowd after a win. Just not a good look.

Reaction Score
Are you saying it was ok for Buzz to return the favor to the student section, regardless of whether or not it was professional of him to do so?

Yes. First of all from initial accounts, he didn’t use expletives in his response. He didn’t lay a hand on anyone and he wasn’t inches from someone’s face shouting his response. Sure he had a range of choices how to react from ignoring to an all out assault. What he did was basically a non-issue. Where else is it being given the time of day except here?

Given his response, I just find it quite laughable that some people actually take issue to his responding (and he wasn’t taunting because he did not instigate the interaction) to stuff thrown at him.

In your estimation, it is ok to yell expletives at someone while you are on the job, even knowing fully well that it is a part of the job?

No it’s not. And again from what’s been accounted, neither did Buzz.

You gave examples of jobs where it can be very confrontational and each has their own limitations in the manner of response. But that is where the comparison ends. In the examples you gave, there is a very small window of what you can do. Not so much in college basketball.

There’s a little more leeway in what is allowed. Put it in perspective, in Huggins more recent road loss, he had to be restrained from going after a fan because of what was said, definitely a much more personal response but even that was a non-issue.

How about referees? Do you think they should be fired if they talked back to a coach? Mind you, I am not talking responses with expletives, maybe shouting back to “Can it!” or an “I don’t want to hear about it!”. That seems like an equivalent response to what Buzz did. The answer is no because of the certain leeway the job affords. And hopefully you won’t play the “but these are college kids” argument because we are not talking about some profound life altering setting here. We are talking about a college basketball game.

Yes and ideally fans should just be cheering their own team and not badgering the other team. Now that we got the Sports Utopia down pat, we both know that more happens. Buzz had a choice to ignore the fans and make it a non-issue. I’m saying what he did was not ideal but not even close to offensive to make it an issue. Thus my categorizing this as a “non-issue”.

Reaction Score
I agree with Rogers. If this was Calhoun doing it to the Loserville i mean Louisville crowd it would all be no big deal. Buzz Williams is a fiery exciting coach. Hes got his team playing with so much energy its unreal. Look at that 3 that Crowder hit with the foul. We havent seen a reaction like that all year long from any of our players. That Marquette bench was nuts. Thats a direct reflection of there coach and how he is and how he wants his team to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom