Buddy Boeheim's #'s | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Buddy Boeheim's #'s

Reaction Score
Now you can take Buddy Boeheim off of Syracuse and James Bouknight off of UConn and Syracuse has more weapons than UConn?!?? This place friggin' cracks me up.

if you swap out Bouk’s line from the last game for Buddy’s, you think we are still playing? I hear ya, Bouk is a top 15 pick and Buddy is not. I laughed at Buddy in the past, but damn a similar player could have helped us. The numbers don’t lie over the last 3-4 weeks.

Reaction Score
if you swap out Bouk’s line from the last game for Buddy’s, you think we are still playing? I hear ya, Bouk is a top 15 pick and Buddy is not. I laughed at Buddy in the past, but damn a similar player could have helped us. The numbers don’t lie over the last 3-4 weeks.
No, I'm taking issue with him saying Bouknight has no weapons around him and Boeheim does. I don't know how anyone thinks Syracuse has more talent than UConn, they don't.

Reaction Score
Now you can take Buddy Boeheim off of Syracuse and James Bouknight off of UConn and Syracuse has more weapons than UConn?!?? This place friggin' cracks me up.
Maybe weapons wasn’t the best choice of words. My point is that Syracuse has better shooters. They have 7 players shooting better than 30% from 3. Besides Marek everyone of their players that get any burn have the ability to hit the 3. We do not have consistent shooters so teams just pack it in. That’s one of the things that happened with Maryland and Creighton. But do you really think that Buddy Boeheim would excel like he currently is in any program where his athleticism was exposed? I think he would be a fine player but a real liability on defense. And also what is Buddy better at than James other than shooting and maybe passing?

Reaction Score
We had a similar player... this guy named Tyler Polley shot 40% from 3 against Maryland if I recall correctly.

Bouk got triple teamed and couldn’t get it to him. We didn’t have any inside out game and couldn’t get it to him. etc.

Reaction Score
We had a similar player... this guy named Tyler Polley shot 40% from 3 against Maryland if I recall correctly.

Bouk got triple teamed and couldn’t get it to him. We didn’t have any inside out game and couldn’t get it to him. etc.
I forgot to add he like 5 touches all game.

Reaction Score
Again you are not understanding my point. All I’m saying is that we would be no better with him in Bouk’s role. We would be worse. He is not athletic enough to guard in a man scheme and there is no way he puts up those numbers facing the kind of double and triple teams that Bouk did. Boeheim is on fire right now there is no debating that. My point is that comparing Bouk and him without taking into account the system that allows him to stay on the court is probably not the best thing to do.

Reaction Score
Maybe weapons wasn’t the best choice of words. My point is that Syracuse has better shooters. They have 7 players shooting better than 30% from 3. Besides Marek everyone of their players that get any burn have the ability to hit the 3. We do not have consistent shooters so teams just pack it in. That’s one of the things that happened with Maryland and Creighton. But do you really think that Buddy Boeheim would excel like he currently is in any program where his athleticism was exposed? I think he would be a fine player but a real liability on defense. And also what is Buddy better at than James other than shooting and maybe passing?
I don't think he would excel in any/every system and I think we have much better talent than Syracuse does. Boeheim figured it out and they are playing by far their best ball of the year, Hurley didn't figure it out and UConn played it's worst game of the year in it's last game.

I think James is a much better all around player than Boeheim but Boeheim certainly played much better than James in the last couple.

Reaction Score
I don't think he would excel in any/every system and I think we have much better talent than Syracuse does. Boeheim figured it out and they are playing by far their best ball of the year, Hurley didn't figure it out and UConn played it's worst game of the year in it's last game.

I think James is a much better all around player than Boeheim but Boeheim certainly played much better than James in the last couple.
Can’t argue with this and I actually agree entirely. I just took issue with the idea that Buddy in place of Bouk would have made any difference. Like you said the issues were coaching based and I believe some were supporting cast based.

Reaction Score
It's crazy. Even Syracuse fans hated that team until about 10 days ago.
I think their biggest issue was that they had a bunch of players who supporting cast types and not alphas. That changed with Buddy’s emergence.

Reaction Score
I forgot to add he like 5 touches all game.
That’s on the coaching and the PG. Every time down the floor Buddy boy has plays run for him. Why couldn’t we do the same for Polley? We kept trying to feature triple-teamed Bouk and even when that wasn’t working, we kept going back to it. You gotta put the players in the best position to succeed. Or you’re stuck on your couch talking what if’s.

Reaction Score

not even close, have you looked at buddy’s numbers over the last 3-4 weeks? It’s crazy.

edit: ball don’t lie. Keep in mind I hate them. My wife laughs because EVERY time I see car with stickers for cuse or Rutgers, I give them the finger. I won’t stop.

Reaction Score
I always thought the name of the game was making baskets yourself or helping your teammates make baskets. You think differently?

Reaction Score
I couldn’t disagree more. You can’t compare how Buddy plays on Syracuse to how Bouk plays for us. His deficiencies are easily hidden in the zone. He would be a shell of himself on our team. He’s a subpar athlete who would get torched on defense. Also, with our lack of other shooters everyone would key on him and he’d be lucky to score 10 a game. Book’s biggest issue is that he had no weapons around him. Buddy has a few teammates who can shoot reliably. Just imagine the type of double and triple teams that Bouk has faced being thrown at Buddy. The only thing Boeheim does better is shoot. Nothing else (maybe passing?) He is literally the perfect player for Syracuse though. There is no denying that but we wouldn’t be raving about him if he played for a team that plays man to man defense.
So, if I follow, it’s the coach’s scheme that elevates him by putting in a system that maximizes is strengths. Interesting. Interesting concept we might try.

Reaction Score
I always thought the name of the game was making baskets yourself or helping your teammates make baskets. You think differently?
Not at all. All I’m saying is that when the rest of your teammates can shoot it makes it way easier for you to dominate. Take a look at the last 4 games for both Syracuse. They shot the following as a team from 3:

NCST 48%
UVA 36%
SDSU 55%
WVU 45%

Now compare that to UConn:

GT 43%
DP 29%
CRTN 21%
MD 30%

It’s clear that Syracuse shoots far better from 3 than UConn. Which means other teams actually have to defend the perimeter. When they play UConn they only really need to guard one or two players on the perimeter tightly. The rest of the defense can then sag toward the paint clogging the interior and allowing for double teams of Bouk. With Buddy you cannot double team him because Girard, Griffin, Guerrier, or Braswell will light you up. No one has to take Jackson or Martin or even Gaffney all that seriously when they are on the perimeter. The larger point I’m trying to make is that you can’t compare the two because the circumstances in which they operate are completely different and weighted a lot more heavily against Bouk.

Reaction Score
Not at all. All I’m saying is that when the rest of your teammates can shoot it makes it way easier for you to dominate. Take a look at the last 4 games for both Syracuse. They shot the following as a team from 3:

NCST 48%
UVA 36%
SDSU 55%
WVU 45%

Now compare that to UConn:

GT 43%
DP 29%
CRTN 21%
MD 30%

It’s clear that Syracuse shoots far better from 3 than UConn. Which means other teams actually have to defend the perimeter. When they play UConn they only really need to guard one or two players on the perimeter tightly. The rest of the defense can then sag toward the paint clogging the interior and allowing for double teams of Bouk. With Buddy you cannot double team him because Girard, Griffin, Guerrier, or Braswell will light you up. No one has to take Jackson or Martin or even Gaffney all that seriously when they are on the perimeter. The larger point I’m trying to make is that you can’t compare the two because the circumstances in which they operate are completely different and weighted a lot more heavily against Bouk.
Yes but like half of those threes are from Boeheim and he's shooting them at a 56% clip. When your best player is playing.like an absolute superstar and making everything it becomes much easier for everyone else, for whatever reasons we didn't have that. Syracuse was no better at making threes this season than UConn, since Buddy has gone super saiyan mode it's helped these other guys get wide open looks and the percentages went up.

Reaction Score
They've always been a dumb fan base. He's always been a good player, now he's a great player.
Buddy Boeheim is not a great player- please walk back- he’s been hot over the last month or so- with that said it doesn’t mean he’s a great player- he’s one dimensional at best- although over the last month he’s been very good at that one dimension.

Reaction Score
Buddy Boeheim is not a great player- please walk back- he’s been hot over the last month or so- with that said it doesn’t mean he’s a great player- he’s one dimensional at best- although over the last month he’s been very good at that one dimension.
He's absolutely a great player now. Being one dimensional at the most important dimension in basketball makes you great when you are as good as anyone in the country at that one dimension.

Reaction Score
He's absolutely a great player now. Being one dimensional at the most important dimension in basketball makes you great when you are as good as anyone in the country at that one dimension.
But is this the player he is........or is he just on a hot streak? His history suggest he isn’t THIS good

Reaction Score
Boeheim is still a Hall of Famer. I said earlier in the season, he makes every group he has look presentable eventually. People hiring him were nuts. Good for him. I’m not fan but the guy is one of the best all time and he deserves a little respect, especially at this point in his life. He may not be Wooden, K or even Calhoun, but he’s damn good and I think it is pretty funny to see him take this group to the Sweet 16 after the things people have been saying about him.
I respect his coaching ability as he is one of the greats for sure. I just think hes kind of a the way he treats some of the kids in his program and hes a gross human being as there is absolutely no excuse for a grown man to pick and eat his boogers. That gross bro!

Reaction Score
I respect his coaching ability as he is one of the greats for sure. I just think hes kind of a the way he treats some of the kids in his program and hes a gross human being as there is absolutely no excuse for a grown man to pick and eat his boogers. That gross bro!
He’s an anus. Lotsa great coaches have been hemorrhoids, but because they win it’s usually tolerated.

Reaction Score
Syracuse fan here. Buddy Boeheim has been unreal the past 2-3 weeks, but if I had to pick either Buddy Boeheim or James Bouknight for the rest of this tournament, I'd take Bouknight. There's a reason Bouknight is a projected lottery pick, and averaged ~20 ppg this season. Yes Buddy has been lights out, and has single-handedly won a few big games, but the old saying "live by the 3, die by the 3" can come true at any moment. Having an explosive scorer like Bouknight who can create his own shot from anywhere on the floor and create for others usually wins more games in March.

Part of Buddy's slow start to the season was he missed some time with COVID-19, and apparently caught it twice. He was struggling running up and down the court when he came back from quarantine. Maybe he's finally at full strength and has his legs back. Bouknight is still the more consistent player, in my opinion.

Reaction Score

Tyler Polley shot 35% for the season. The fact that he went 2/5 tells us more about sample size. Perhaps because of the achilles injury, he just was not the same shooter from 3 this year.

Cole shot 38% and Gaffney shot 36%, both a higher percentage than Polley. If Cole keeps that up and Gaffney continues his improvement, we might be in better shape than we realize. Still need a transfer who can shoot. And Jackson to be able to at least draw a defender.

Reaction Score
Syracuse fan here. Buddy Boeheim has been unreal the past 2-3 weeks, but if I had to pick either Buddy Boeheim or James Bouknight for the rest of this tournament, I'd take Bouknight. There's a reason Bouknight is a projected lottery pick, and averaged ~20 ppg this season. Yes Buddy has been lights out, and has single-handedly won a few big games, but the old saying "live by the 3, die by the 3" can come true at any moment. Having an explosive scorer like Bouknight who can create his own shot from anywhere on the floor and create for others usually wins more games in March.

Part of Buddy's slow start to the season was he missed some time with COVID-19, and apparently caught it twice. He was struggling running up and down the court when he came back from quarantine. Maybe he's finally at full strength and has his legs back. Bouknight is still the more consistent player, in my opinion.
I appreciate the input. I’m wondering as a Syracuse fan if you could provide an insight on a question that I have. Have you noticed the rest of the team improve on the offensive side of the ball during this incredible run by Buddy? Or have they pretty much maintained the same level of play? The reason I ask is that my impression of this SU team was that it was bunch of solid role players who lacked a go to player. Now that Boeheim is that guy the team complements each other nicely and these players aren’t really relied on to go above and beyond what is expected and playing at their previous level is okay. Or am I completely wrong?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom