Brittney Griner files to have marriage to Glory Johnson annulled | The Boneyard

Brittney Griner files to have marriage to Glory Johnson annulled

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Apparently, Brittney did not want Glory to get pregnant.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This, unfortunately, has gotten very ugly ... maybe we know now what the fight was about, but that was before they married. WNBA does not need this sorry mess.

Reaction Score
At first I thought it is "Brittney Griner files to have marriage to Glory Johnson annual " lol

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
So...28 days. Longer or shorter than Britney Spears' first marriage?

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This is like something out of a soap opera. You simply can't make up anything that has been more crazy and tumultuous. I feel badly for both of them, but in a way feel more say for the LGBT community in that the relationship contained violence, an apparently unwanted pregnancy, and now an annulment. It does not "reflect" well as the LGBT community pushes for equal marriage rights across the nation and thru the Supreme Court.

On the flip side, their "story" is really no different from many "straight" stories - I guess it goes to show - gay or straight - people can make really bad decisions in relationships!

Reaction Score
I think annulment can be based on the marriage not being consummated. Now, how is THAT defined in this case?

Reaction Score
The WNBA totally doesn't need this! Is Griner on Team USA? What if any stance are they taking with the domestic violence charge? Both Johnson and Griner have the brains of a tulip!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is like something out of a soap opera. You simply can't make up anything that has been more crazy and tumultuous. I feel badly for both of them, but in a way feel more say for the LGBT community in that the relationship contained violence, an apparently unwanted pregnancy, and now an annulment. It does not "reflect" well as the LGBT community pushes for equal marriage rights across the nation and thru the Supreme Court.

On the flip side, their "story" is really no different from many "straight" stories - I guess it goes to show - gay or straight - people can make really bad decisions in relationships!

Well said. Unfortunately, ESPN is keeping it front and center on the W summer front page -you know, the horrendous new format.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think annulment can be based on the marriage not being consummated. Now, how is THAT defined in this case?
I believe that is primarily a religious issue specific to the Catholic church which generally does not allow divorce (see Tudor King, Henry, VIII.)

Do not believe this would affect USA basketball eligibility - she has accepted her professional punishment and USA National team basketball is not in session for another year.

(I'm sorry, but I think I am at overload with the idea of punishing athletes into eternity for an instance of bad behavior unrelated to actual competition/team activity)

Reaction Score

(I'm sorry, but I think I am at overload with the idea of punishing athletes into eternity for an instance of bad behavior unrelated to actual competition/team activity)

Nothing in this thread has mentioned punishment. However, if I were NIKE or whoever I would pull endorsements. Bad role model from the first punch.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
(I'm sorry, but I think I am at overload with the idea of punishing athletes into eternity for an instance of bad behavior unrelated to actual competition/team activity

I certainly understand the overload; but I think it is going to always be a case by case nose test to the public and to ownership as well - of course if Sponsors get queasy owners and leagues get ulcers!

I heard a replay of the 911 call by Glory's sister a few days ago and it was enlightening. takes two to tango and takes two to be hurling "plates and bowls" at each other all over the house. A domestic dust up that could have been worse, and it's over. A guy who knocks his lady unconscious, I'm not so sure.

Reaction Score
The WNBA is playing like the little Dutch boy placing his finger in the dike, hoping no more sordid stories about their players come out.
The NBA and NFL went through similar P.R. problems. I am very worried. Pro WBB in the USA is fragile and I would hate to see it fail.
I recently moved to Duke/UNC country and nobody seems to care about WBB.

Reaction Score
The WNBA is playing like the little Dutch boy placing his finger in the dike, hoping no more sordid stories about their players come out.
The NBA and NFL went through similar P.R. problems. I am very worried. Pro WBB in the USA is fragile and I would hate to see it fail.
I recently moved to Duke/UNC country and nobody seems to care about WBB.
PRO WBB is fragile with or without her as it is not a big biz when compared with the money involved in the league play in Russian or China. And USA will win with without her. So need to worry in either aspect.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nothing in this thread has mentioned punishment. However, if I were NIKE or whoever I would pull endorsements. Bad role model from the first punch.
Endorsements are all public relations and made by commercial entities and do not impact athlete's actual careers. Whatever Nike or any other company wants to do with there marketing budget is fine by me - and I will choose my brands based on their whole corporate stance including who they choose as spokespeople.

Messing with athlete's careers is another issue - I am not opposed to punishments like 7 game bans for Glory and Brittany, though I am a little troubled by what I consider a little bit of overreaction in public pressure - partly a result of 24/7 sports programming and the medias general desire to create sensation and news. I might be tempted to use the word 'sanctimonious'. People get outraged about things that they don't even care about, and ignore similar issues in their own backyards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom