Brittney and Glory Tie The Knot | The Boneyard

Brittney and Glory Tie The Knot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
B&G.jpg

Brittney Griner and Glory Johnson exchanged vows outdoors Friday afternoon on a Phoenix mountaintop.

Two weeks earlier, the couple made headlines after an argument at their home in Goodyear, Arizona, led to a 911 call and arrests of both for assault and disorderly conduct. On April 28, Griner accepted a plea deal to enter domestic violence counseling, after which the charges against her will be dismissed, USA Today reports. Johnson enrolled in counseling voluntarily.

"It is never OK for an argument to turn physical," Griner said in a statement released through her attorney. "This will never happen again, and I take my relationship and my responsibility as a role model seriously."

[LINK] to article.

Reaction Score
The ceremony was in Seattle. Is gay marriage legal now in AZ or is it still a HATER STATE?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
The ceremony was in Seattle. Is gay marriage legal now in AZ or is it still a HATER STATE?

It would appear you are wrong. Twice.
"To the sound of a cascading waterfall, the WNBA's Brittney Griner and Glory Johnson exchanged vows outdoors Friday afternoon on a Phoenix mountaintop, the couple confirms exclusively to PEOPLE.

As about 75 guests looked on, the brides, both 24, were married beneath an archway at the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort. Bouquets and arrangements of white hydrangea, white and coral roses, and peach hypericum berries helped establish their theme of "desert elegance" in the city where Griner plays center for the three-time WNBA champion Phoenix Mercury."

Reaction Score
"To the sound of a cascading waterfall, the WNBA's Brittney Griner and Glory Johnson exchanged vows outdoors Friday afternoon on a Phoenix mountaintop, the couple confirms exclusively to PEOPLE.

As about 75 guests looked on, the brides, both 24, were married beneath an archway at the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort. Bouquets and arrangements of white hydrangea, white and coral roses, and peach hypericum berries helped establish their theme of "desert elegance" in the city where Griner plays center for the three-time WNBA champion Phoenix Mercury."
Right, Phoenix but is it recognized by the state of AZ?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well no judgment here. I'm sorry that their argument turned physical - it doesn't necessarily "bode well" for their happy future together, but I wish them the best and congratulate them on their special day!

Reaction Score

I live in Phoenix and can confirm that the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort is definitely here, and not in Seattle. And also, regardless of our recent legalization of gay marriage, AZ is still largely a "hater state".

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Arizona does still have a number of hateful politicians, but marriage equality came to Arizona ~ a year ago.

Reaction Score
I wish this couple nothing but the best. Congrats, ladies and best wishes.

Reaction Score
No comment.
But feel something not right. Fight and called 911 and arrests 2 weeks ago, now exchanged vows.

Reaction Score
I HATE LABELS. And to label any state a "HATER STATE" is downright wrong. It stains all the good, open minded people residing there under one all-encompassing, everyone's-guilty-who-lives-there designation. There are millions of good people in those "HATER STATES" tirelessly fighting to obtain equality and justice for everyone. They haven't prevailed- yet. And those thirteen states haven't changed- yet. But they will. I have a residence in New Orleans (Louisiana) which currently does ban same-sex marriage ( though a challenge is in the appellate court) and I deeply resent anyone calling it a "HATER STATE," because it certainly is not. In some regions (like this part of the South) change is an evolutionary process, it takes time- but it will inevitably happen. It will. And the legion of just, kindhearted, and accepting-of-everybody folks down here would deeply resent being identified as living in a "HATER STATE" If you must hate, save it for UT and ND.

Reaction Score
I live in Phoenix and can confirm that the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort is definitely here, and not in Seattle. And also, regardless of our recent legalization of gay marriage, AZ is still largely a "hater state".

As another Arizonan, at least for another year, I was going to say exactly what j66 said. While folks anywhere can work up a fair amount of bile about sensitive subjects, I have never seen the level of vicious, insensitive discourse that I've seen here. It formed a good part of my master's thesis a couple of years ago.

I work for the community college district that did the right thing, obeyed the law, and granted undocumented students who obtained federal "DACA" status the right to have in-state tuition. You would not believe the abuse that was heaped on us, from the Governor and Attorney General on down. We won the case in court this week, and some folks just lumped the judge in with us as the targets of invective.

So, HuskiesRule, while I hate labels, too, and while there are many decent people with open minds, this place would certainly make my Top 10 list among those with the most ignorant and biased people who can only be thought of as knee-jerk haters. And folks like me, who tend toward being openminded about stuff, tend to look around, sigh, and admit the reality of the situation. We're embarrassed when others point it out, but we generally admit that yep, that's Arizona, all right.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As another Arizonan, at least for another year, I was going to say exactly what j66 said. While folks anywhere can work up a fair amount of bile about sensitive subjects, I have never seen the level of vicious, insensitive discourse that I've seen here. It formed a good part of my master's thesis a couple of years ago.

I work for the community college district that did the right thing, obeyed the law, and granted undocumented students who obtained federal "DACA" status the right to have in-state tuition. You would not believe the abuse that was heaped on us, from the Governor and Attorney General on down. We won the case in court this week, and some folks just lumped the judge in with us as the targets of invective.

So, HuskiesRule, while I hate labels, too, and while there are many decent people with open minds, this place would certainly make my Top 10 list among those with the most ignorant and biased people who can only be thought of as knee-jerk haters. And folks like me, who tend toward being openminded about stuff, tend to look around, sigh, and admit the reality of the situation. We're embarrassed when others point it out, but we generally admit that yep, that's Arizona, all right.
As someone who lives in the liberal bastion of the state - Tucson - it is still no prize around here.

Plenty of ignorant and biased folks - the thing is, they are very open about it out here. You should read the letters to the editor in the local paper for a week or two if you want to get a real feeling for it. I would suggest that j66 and tomcat know whereof they speak.

Our sheriff out here, Dupnik, is retiring - he's more than old enough. But I laughed so hard when he won his last election, one of his opponent's slogans was "He called us bigots". Well . . .

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Y'all just come down South. There is plenty of vile statements made about this subject here. I have had to refrain from reading the comments about this marriage on my team's own message board because of such statements. I do appreciate the comments made here. I, too, wish the beautiful couple well.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Y'all just come down South. There is plenty of vile statements made about this subject here. I have had to refrain from reading the comments about this marriage on my team's own message board because of such statements. I do appreciate the comments made here. I, too, wish the beautiful couple well.

Has the association with BG changed the opinions of GJ for Vol fans? Or is it more of a gay marriage issue?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
No comment.
But feel something not right. Fight and called 911 and arrests 2 weeks ago, now exchanged vows.

I'm glad that they went ahead with their plans as that adds to the healing process. The marriage will add to their motivation to take their counseling more seriously. IMO, it is easier to move past a physical altercation than a verbal altercation when things are said that can't be taken back.

Reaction Score
IMO, it is easier to move past a physical altercation than a verbal altercation when things are said that can't be taken back.
Not sure if that statement is accurate. A physical altercation is the worst situation. We all guilty of verbals but not everybody resorts to physical arguments. Having said that I wish Britney and Glory the best. I was just offended about a "verbal is better than a physical. " Maybe I'm guilty of misreading but here on the UConn Boneyard punching or getting physical is not better than a verbal argument and I think the police would agree too. Wow I hope I misread.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="easttexastrash, post: 1321175, member: 1706 IMO, it is easier to move past a physical altercation than a verbal altercation when things are said that can't be taken back.
Not sure if that statement is accurate. A physical altercation is the worst situation. We all guilty of verbals but not everybody resorts to physical arguments. Having said that I wish Britney and Glory the best. I was just offended about a "verbal is better than a physical. " Maybe I'm guilty of misreading but here on the UConn Boneyard punching or getting physical is not better than a verbal argument and I think the police would agree too. Wow I hope I misread.[/QUOTE]

I did not use the word "better" anywhere in my post, so, yes, you misread. I said that a physical altercation can be easier to move past. That is not to say that a physical altercation is "better."

GG

Reaction Score
Yes, I read some of the comments on that board. Very disturbing.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="easttexastrash, post: 1321175, member: 1706 IMO, it is easier to move past a physical altercation than a verbal altercation when things are said that can't be taken back.
Not sure if that statement is accurate. A physical altercation is the worst situation. We all guilty of verbals but not everybody resorts to physical arguments. Having said that I wish Britney and Glory the best. I was just offended about a "verbal is better than a physical. " Maybe I'm guilty of misreading but here on the UConn Boneyard punching or getting physical is not better than a verbal argument and I think the police would agree too. Wow I hope I misread.[/QUOTE]

Let me present this scenario and you tell me which would be easier to move past.

Glory is white and during the same type of scuffle she callas BG a . Which do you think BG would have a harder time moving past, the physical or the verbal?

Reaction Score
I doubt it was just a physical altercation. I think it escalated to a physical altercation.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Has the association with BG changed the opinions of GJ for Vol fans? Or is it more of a gay marriage issue?

It's purely a gay marriage issue for the most part. We still have plenty of close-minded people here. Sad, but that's just the way of life here.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I HATE LABELS. And to label any state a "HATER STATE" is downright wrong. It stains all the good, open minded people residing there under one all-encompassing, everyone's-guilty-who-lives-there designation. There are millions of good people in those "HATER STATES" tirelessly fighting to obtain equality and justice for everyone. They haven't prevailed- yet. And those thirteen states haven't changed- yet. But they will. I have a residence in New Orleans (Louisiana) which currently does ban same-sex marriage ( though a challenge is in the appellate court) and I deeply resent anyone calling it a "HATER STATE," because it certainly is not. In some regions (like this part of the South) change is an evolutionary process, it takes time- but it will inevitably happen. It will. And the legion of just, kindhearted, and accepting-of-everybody folks down here would deeply resent being identified as living in a "HATER STATE" If you must hate, save it for UT and ND.

Great post. I agree; I live in state many would call by that moniker, but you can't paint with a broad brush. There are many open minded people in South Carolina and the "haters" are relatively few. My politics would more closely align with Vermont or Massachusetts, or even Connecticut, so I live in the city in SC that most closely resembles those places.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It's purely a gay marriage issue for the most part. We still have plenty of close-minded people here. Sad, but that's just the way of life here.
Ok, so I have to ask - how did they deal with Michelle Marciniak? For those who don't know on the BY, the former Lady Vol PG is married to a very high profile spouse who is reportedly listed as the 98th most powerful woman in the world by Forbes. She has a high profile job with Ernst and Young and does work for the US government. They hyphenate their last names "Brooke-Marciniak".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom