Bringing my toddler to the game - any tips? | The Boneyard

Bringing my toddler to the game - any tips?

Reaction Score
For those parents out there that are a lot more seasoned than I, my walking and somewhat talking just 2 year old is coming with me to the game tonight (that was the only way my wife was going to let me go, if I'm being honest).

I took her a number of games last year, but it was easier. She sat in her carrier and could hardly walk at the time, so when she got cranky I just cruised the concourse and could watch the field while walking around (also gave me an absolutely stellar view of ZT's game clinching TD against Liberty, it was a dime).

Now that she's a fully independent walking 2 year old, anyone have tips on what they've done to keep their kids in the seats so pops can watch the game or otherwise?

I can't wait and am ridiculously unproductive at work already this am.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For those parents out there that are a lot more seasoned than I, my walking and somewhat talking just 2 year old is coming with me to the game tonight (that was the only way my wife was going to let me go, if I'm being honest).

I took her a number of games last year, but it was easier. She sat in her carrier and could hardly walk at the time, so when she got cranky I just cruised the concourse and could watch the field while walking around (also gave me an absolutely stellar view of ZT's game clinching TD against Liberty, it was a dime).

Now that she's a fully independent walking 2 year old, anyone have tips on what they've done to keep their kids in the seats so pops can watch the game or otherwise?

A two year old is tough. I think I brought my son to his first Connecticut football game when he was a little older, probably three or four. My attitude was, when he's done, we're done because I didn't want him to associate going to games as being unpleasant. It was actually at Rutgers, and I think we made it through the first half and the start of the third-quarter before he was done.

Good luck!

Reaction Score
I brought my 2 year old to the BC game last year and it was really fun but tough toward the end. Lots of carrying him while we looped around the stadium. We also changed seats a bunch, no way he was sitting still and moving was a good way to keep him entertained.

Can she handle such a late game? I'm only doing the day games with my little dude this year which fortunately are the majority.

Reaction Score
I brought my 2 year old to the BC game last year and it was really fun but tough toward the end. Lots of carrying him while we looped around the stadium. We also changed seats a bunch, no way he was sitting still and moving was a good way to keep him entertained.

Can she handle such a late game? I'm only doing the day games with my little dude this year which fortunately are the majority.

Between her being one of the few children that doesn't seem to ever sleep and us being stretched on developing a proper structure, she has a late bedtime of 8:30-9pm so that will at least get us through a chunk of the game. I'm having my wife attempt to get her a long nap in the afternoon in prayer we'll make it to the end, but 10:30pm if we are lucky will be a disaster once we get there, haha.

Reaction Score
Young children are very susceptible to loud noises, far more than adults, partly because they can hear higher pitched frequencies than we can and partly because they haven't had any (noise-induced) hearing loss yet. What may be okay for you might actually be causing them pain and difficulty that they don't fully understand - leading to fussy kids that don't want to sit still. I strongly recommend getting some noise protection earphones to have your kid wear during events like this.

Reaction Score
Walk with her behind the big scoreboard when she gets antsy. Just not at halftime. That area will be a madhouse w 39k in the house

Reaction Score
I suggest food, popcorn and pretzels. While they are eating they tend to sit still. Unfortunately their stomachs aren't big enough to get you through the whole game. Recent experience with a now four year old grandchild.

Good luck!

Reaction Score

Ok. Just watch her that he doesn’t trip over a railing . Outside of that, it is a dam friendly atmosphere and if it isn’t that, call the yellow coats.

And, get that kid a shirt and an ice cream.

CL82

Reaction Score
Heck at 2, I had trained my kids to be my designated driver. Good luck
You had kids when you were two years old?

Sam Elliott Hello GIF by GritTV

Reaction Score
Do they still do stuff for the kids behind the jumbotron? If so get there early and let the kid wear themselves out a bit so they are more likely to sit in their seat.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hard yes to ear protection. We see a lot of youngsters who look like they aren't warm enough during colder weather, but that shouldn't be a problem tonight. We've had good luck bringing a 2-year-old to a hockey game but football games are a lot longer.

CL82

Reaction Score
Three beer limit.

(For you, I mean, not her.) :rolleyes:
I mean, I know she's not driving or anything, but I kind of feel like three beers would be enough for a two year-old.

Reaction Score
Well how did it go?
Made it to the third quarter, left during the injury time out. She was flipping bananas and everyone was silent, figured it was in bad taste for me to stick around not knowing g how long that would last. By that time we had come down from the seats to the concourse and walked around.

Earmuffs partially worked, but were severely hindered by her chucking them off her head with reckless abandon. Someone said to put her in over Fagnano.

Sidenote, for any future people reading this, the baby bjorn or other carrier is a 100% must and I would not have achieved the level of game watching I had without it.

Thank you for all your tips!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom