+/-? Brimah/Miller? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

+/-? Brimah/Miller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah it's pretty unacceptable that dham is far and away our best rebounder

What really sucks is it's hard to condemn him for leaving his man open on occasion to be sure he goes to read a rebound. I mean he's the guy right, our 5's can't even move anyone.

Reaction Score
If KO isn't going to play Brimah during crunch-time, then there's really no point in being so strict with him when it comes to fouls. Let him play through some of them.

so much this, it drives me crazy. brimahs only fouled out of one game--all you end up doing by taking him out after every foul is limiting his minutes and ability to establish a rhythm. i find the unwritten foul/2 foul rules so silly in most cases--youd think fouling out was a 10 point penalty the way they try to avoid it. lets make sure this guy retains his eligibity to play throughout the whole game--by not playing him!

Reaction Score
Seems like +/- has become the go to stat on the Boneyard. I'm ok with it but it isn't the be all and end all stat. My stat from Saturday was AB 16 minutes, 2 rebounds and SM 21 minutes, 2 rebounds. That is a pretty easy stat to define. It's all about effort and want to. We can talk about mitigating factors but rebounding the basketball is a primary requirement for a teams starting center and power forward.

Statsheet used to have +/- I believe but they got bought out or something. Haven't found a good replacement since.

Should note that KenPom used to include it as well, but got rid of it because single game +/- is meaningless.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What I am surprised by is anyone thinking since he came back that he's done anything at all. Truth is he came out like gangbusters vs Tulsa the other night the first 4-5 trips very active on both ends, even an offensive rebound and put back, but so much as to get into foul trouble again too early. And then he became that player which is so frustrating. Facey was the best of the group but still loses his guy on defense, much better on the offensive boards. Phil had a couple hoops and stops on D but some really painful fouls too. Not picking on one in particular, as a group if they would just play to their strengths when in (and that's not asking much) we'd have less of a hole in the middle.

He hasn't done a lot since he came back. Rust and, I believe, still hurting. He is less than pre-injury so far. I think he has brought some energy and some added rim protection. But nothing to write home about, it has helped.

Reaction Score
He hasn't done a lot since he came back. Rust and, I believe, still hurting. He is less than pre-injury so far. I think he has brought some energy and some added rim protection. But nothing to write home about, it has helped.

Agree it helps to have him for his 14-22 minutes. But "rust" may be just the player we have, we'll see but not too sure the injury is an issue. Just askimg him to block a couple shots and redirect a couple others during his time. A rebound in a big situation would also be great but I won't get greedy. ;)

Reaction Score
What really sucks is it's hard to condemn him for leaving his man open on occasion to be sure he goes to read a rebound. I mean he's the guy right, our 5's can't even move anyone.
Usually we see him trying to recover just before a 3 is hoisted. We have to have his rebounding otherwise those are 2 foot putbacks for opponents. Just shows how when one part of a team is deficient it can affect other positions and player's games.

Reaction Score
Usually we see him trying to recover just before a 3 is hoisted. We have to have his rebounding otherwise those are 2 foot putbacks for opponents. Just shows how when one part of a team is deficient it can affect other positions and player's games.

SMU really goes to get it on the offensive boards, he and the others will be needed to rebound or at least do their job in keeping their guy off.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Shonn may have only gotten 2 rebounds in the last game, but I think people are ignoring his rebounding. He is pretty good.
I think it is just Brimah & Nolan that aren't up to par.

Reaction Score
Shonn may have only gotten 2 rebounds in the last game, but I think people are ignoring his rebounding. He is pretty good.
I think it is just Brimah & Nolan that aren't up to par.

Shonn's 6'6" battles hard for most every rebound when in the area. Keeps balls alive, gets his hand on many. He should be getting 7-8 I agree with some but his 5 plus are more of an impact than our actual bigs missing so many and not being within an arms length so often.

Reaction Score
I'm glad someone brought this up. I believe we would have won the Temple game if Brimah was put back into that game towards the end. I won't bore anyone with my couch coaching, but it seemed clear as day.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I'm glad someone brought this up. I believe we would have won the Temple game if Brimah was put back into that game towards the end. I won't bore anyone with my couch coaching, but it seemed clear as day.
Exactly what I'm saying. He might not add anything to his stat line but he's a anchor and one of the only guys with a killer instinct.

Reaction Score
Exactly what I'm saying. He might not add anything to his stat line but he's a anchor and one of the only guys with a killer instinct.

Kidding me right? 3/2/1 in 19 minutes vs a very small lineup. He missed the opportunity to get the big rebound in the game and it went to Bond as he batted him away like a little girl. And add to this they made 4 three's was he blocking any of those? If he was in the game nothing would have changed.

C'mon I get I may be a little hard on the kid and I expect he should be a lot better now, but at least you lovers of his need to admit when he basically did nothing! The reality is he "did not add anything to the stat line" and like it or not stats mean something.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
AB has my neverending UConn love for what he did in the St. Joe's game in '14. Without his play at the end of the game there is no title. So, for me, it gives him a lifetime pass. Let's just say I would prefer if the coaching staff emphasized his need to box out and rebound more often than he currently does.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Kidding me right? 3/2/1 in 19 minutes vs a very small lineup. He missed the opportunity to get the big rebound in the game and it went to Bond as he batted him away like a little girl. And add to this they made 4 three's was he blocking any of those? If he was in the game nothing would have changed.

C'mon I get I may be a little hard on the kid and I expect he should be a lot better now, but at least you lovers of his need to admit when he basically did nothing! The reality is he "did not add anything to the stat line" and like it or not stats mean something.
This is why I'm looking for a season long +/- for him.

Reaction Score
I hear ya wrinkle but I just want a rebound that matters against SMU (or 8 like it should be).;)
Good call on the 8 rebounds. He's a difference maker! If he's not fouled out, I believe he should be on the floor as much as possible. For all the talk about his shortcomings, he usually makes a positive impact on our offense and our defense.

Reaction Score
Good call on the 8 rebounds. He's a difference maker! If he's not fouled out, I believe he should be on the floor as much as possible. For all the talk about his shortcomings, he usually makes a positive impact on our offense and our defense.

Well not usually but tonight it was above and beyond, he was THE difference maker and I am happy for him but even happier for the team. They needed to win one that was a struggle again and did it against the best team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom