Bridgeport Game Announced Officially | The Boneyard

Bridgeport Game Announced Officially

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
December 28th versus E. Washington. Check out this photo. That Webster Bank Arena sure seems like a classy operation.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think it's a great idea. I know a lot of UCONN fans live in the Fairfield county area and it will give them a chance to see the Huskies in action in their own backyard. Of course, Webster Bank Arena might have a tougher sell - Eastern Washington isn't exactly a big draw...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A shot across the bow of Civic Center mgmt to get off their arses and upgrade facilities.

UConn has Gampel, Webster and MSG/Barclay's/Boston for big non-conference games.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I think it's a great idea. I know a lot of UCONN fans live in the Fairfield county area and it will give them a chance to see the Huskies in action in their own backyard. Of course, Webster Bank Arena might have a tougher sell - Eastern Washington isn't exactly a big draw...
Less than 9,000 seats. It will sell out.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Woohoo! 15 mins from my house. Finally a short ride to a game, and on a midday Saturday. Perfect kid-bringing time.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with this for one game per year... Anything more I am completely against. Pretty far from campus and we already have two home sites, don't need a third.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The arena at harbor yard is too small for anything but a cupcake game like this. i don't think you need to worry.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with this for one game per year... Anything more I am completely against. Pretty far from campus and we already have two home sites, don't need a third.
There's a reason they chose December 28. It's during semester break. There are no students on campus to go to Gampel at that time. I agree one game a year during semester break seems fine. Wouldn't want to start putting big games in Bridgeport.

Poe

Reaction Score
It will sell-out easily, but I don't think the atmosphere will be any different than playing at the XL Center against a cupacke.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
UConn is making a play for CR with this move! It reaches out to fans who would have difficulty getting to stores without compromising the product at the main venues. Great move!

Reaction Score
It called "outreach." And its a good idea. In fact, it should have been done a long time ago.

UConn basketball is going to the fans rather than having the fans come to them. This should pay dividends for the program. I would love to see the team hold open practices/scrimmages in other parts of the state as part of their practice schedule. Let kids who have no chance of making the trip to Storrs see the Huskies up close and personal. Hold it at a high school with a large gym. Have an autograph session and combine it with a coaches clinic. You forge fans for life with these kinds of activities. We are Connecticut's flagship university, we need to be inclusive, outreach is a great way to promote the program.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
on the first day....no doubt about it.

there isn't a bad seat in the joint!
Yup. So much pent up demand... If I weren't planning to be out of town I would be fighting for tickets. Would be nice to see the Huskies 10 minutes from home.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It called "outreach." And its a good idea. In fact, it should have been done a long time ago.

UConn basketball is going to the fans rather than having the fans come to them. This should pay dividends for the program. I would love to see the team hold open practices/scrimmages in other parts of the state as part of their practice schedule. Let kids who have no chance of making the trip to Storrs see the Huskies up close and personal. Hold it at a high school with a large gym. Have an autograph session and combine it with a coaches clinic. You forge fans for life with these kinds of activities. We are Connecticut's flagship university, we need to be inclusive, outreach is a great way to promote the program.
Love this idea and would consider going in or around NYC as well!

Reaction Score
Yup. So much pent up demand... If I weren't planning to be out of town I would be fighting for tickets. Would be nice to see the Huskies 10 minutes from home.

I'm a lock for this one! You can't beat a 10 minute ride to see our Huskies!

Reaction Score
It will sell-out easily, but I don't think the atmosphere will be any different than playing at the XL Center against a cupacke.
It's not about the atmosphere.

UConn is trying to expand its presence in southern Connecticut/Fairfield County, which just so happens to count as part of the New York-New Jersey combined statistical area. They're thinking long-term here and, while one game won't have a huge impact, this is the type of forward-thinking that UConn could have benefited from years ago.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Reaction Score
Thanks UConn for throwing us Southerners a bone (pun intended). They are truly a State team and technically there is a campus in Fairfield County.

UConn Stamford

Reaction Score
Great idea. This is what we expected when we heard a game in Bridgeport was in the works...a cupcake during winter break. Its 3 days after Christmas so instead of 10,000 showing up to the XL Center its good to try something new. This is also good for people in New Haven County like me. Its a lot shorter drive to Bridgeport compared to Hartford. I hope this is an annual thing and id also like to see a game played at Mohegan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom