Brian Flores | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Brian Flores

Reaction Score
It's not the just the Giants, it's the NFL and their fans. I mean, read this thread.
Do not try to move the goal posts, you made a specific comment about the Giants, that is what this about. It is very simple.

Use the internet, read the thread, you have the information at your disposal, I suggest you use it before making comments and insinuations in the future.

Reaction Score
Tell me what the Rooney Rule has actually accomplished? Some African American coaches were given an interview at a job they weren't getting anyway because they owners didn't want to get in trouble? Feels like there's a better solution for the issue out there.
Lifted from an article on the Rooney rule. ‘Would Tomlin have been a serious candidate for the Steelers’ head coaching position without the Rooney Rule? It’s impossible to say, but the rule certainly put Tomlin on the Rooneys’ radar, and in that regard, it worked perfectly. ‘

“Here was a young man that came out of nowhere and was suddenly one of the top candidates to be the Steelers’ third head coach since 1969.

You might say Tomlin benefited from the rule by having his talents brought to light, but that was the whole point. “

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Do not try to move the goal posts, you made a specific comment about the Giants, that is what this about. It is very simple.

Use the internet, read the thread, you have the information at your disposal, I suggest you use it before making comments and insinuations in the future.
Spare the poster review panel. I copped to it. My error doesn't mean that the Giants aren't a joke that's gotten even worse.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Lifted from an article on the Rooney rule. ‘Would Tomlin have been a serious candidate for the Steelers’ head coaching position without the Rooney Rule? It’s impossible to say, but the rule certainly put Tomlin on the Rooneys’ radar, and in that regard, it worked perfectly. ‘

“Here was a young man that came out of nowhere and was suddenly one of the top candidates to be the Steelers’ third head coach since 1969.

You might say Tomlin benefited from the rule by having his talents brought to light, but that was the whole point. “
I think it's funny that the the only team that takes the Rooney Rule seriously is the Rooney team. The rule itself is just bad eye wash.

Reaction Score
Spare the poster review panel. I copped to it. My error doesn't mean that the Giants aren't a joke that's gotten even worse.
Considering the Giants won a SB with a black DC and you believed the Giants never had a single black coach I hold your football opinion and knowledge in as high as regard as I hold your posts.

Reaction Score
The rule itself is just bad eye wash.
Why? The goal was to get minority candidates in front of the people that do the hiring so even if they don’t get this job they get exposure and maybe another job. The Giants had a minority GM that they promoted, should they be exempted?

Reaction Score
Flores’s lawyers were on WFAN and said that within a half hour of firing Judge, Mara reached out to Flores and said he was “Maras guy”.
Carton said he had a separate source who also said that Mara had told Flores that he wanted to bring Flores home and he wished he did four years ago.
So the NY reporters pitting this as Maras guy vs Maras GMs guy sounds spot on.
I can picture Mara right now pounding fine bourbons until he dies just wishing he went with his instinct.

Reaction Score

So, since it was established in 2003, the Rooney Rule maybe helped get Mike Tomlin his job.

Reaction Score
So, since it was established in 2003, the Rooney Rule maybe helped get Mike Tomlin his job.
Sounds like more than maybe but You’re right it’s a terrible rule. It had zero impact on any of the other minority coaches hired since 2003. Maybe They should just mandate that every future coaching hire be a minority? Maybe every future owner too? Problem solved.

Reaction Score
I’ll go back to my idea being something the NFL moves forward with unless someone can poke holes in it.
The league sets a threshold for percentage of minority GMs and head coaches and as long as the league is under that threshold the team hiring a GM gets a pick at the end of the first round and a team hiring the head coach gets a pick at the end of the second round.
I like the idea of prioritizing front office more than coaching since that is where the largest impact and trickle down effect for minorities would be.
A team could hire a minority GM and coach in one offseason and add two picks in the first two rounds.
I’m not sure how else they can do this. They can’t force a team to hire a particular person. This would cause a spike in minority hirings IMO.

Reaction Score
They interviewed three black coaches. Not one. Mara texted Flores the day he fired Judge to tell Flores he was interested in him, Flores admits that, why would he bother to do that all for a fake interview?

I say this as a Giants fan who despises John Mara. I would love this to result in forcing the team. It won't, but I would love it.
Under recent enhancements made to the Rooney Rule, first instituted in 2003 to promote diversity by requiring teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching jobs, NFL teams must interview two external minority candidates. One of those interviews must be in person.

The Giants had already virtually interviewed Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier. It was interviewing Flores that satisfied the Rooney Rule.

Reaction Score
They interviewed three black coaches. Not one. Mara texted Flores the day he fired Judge to tell Flores he was interested in him, Flores admits that, why would he bother to do that all for a fake interview?

I say this as a Giants fan who despises John Mara. I would love this to result in forcing the team. It won't, but I would love it.
I am a Giants fan also and I blame the lack of success in the last few years on John Mara and Steve Tisch. The kids don't know what they are doing and have made terrible hiring decisions in leadership positions in the organization. To run a successful team you need to hire highly qualified people to make decisions. Their fathers would not be proud of what they've done with the franchise.

I think in general most of the children of aging or deceased NFL owners are not qualified to run the franchises they inherited (e.g. Jim Irsay and Marc Davis). Just because your father knew what they were doing doesn't mean the offspring are qualified to continue the ownership.

Reaction Score
I am a Giants fan also and I blame the lack of success in the last few years on John Mara and Steve Tisch. The kids don't know what they are doing and have made terrible hiring decisions in leadership positions in the organization. To run a successful team you need to hire highly qualified people to make decisions. Their fathers would not be proud of what they've done with the franchise.

I think in general most of the children of aging or deceased NFL owners are not qualified to run the franchises they inherited (e.g. Jim Irsay and Marc Davis). Just because your father knew what they were doing doesn't mean the offspring are qualified to continue the ownership.
Wellington let the Giants franchise rot for 30 years eventually lucked into getting George Young and Parcells.

Reaction Score
Under recent enhancements made to the Rooney Rule, first instituted in 2003 to promote diversity by requiring teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching jobs, NFL teams must interview two external minority candidates. One of those interviews must be in person.

The Giants had already virtually interviewed Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier. It was interviewing Flores that satisfied the Rooney Rule.

They did interview Leslie Frazier in person after they interviewed Flores in person. Not a peep from Frazier.

Reaction Score
Goodell issued a cliched bull statement and Flores’ attorneys immediately eviscerated it. This isn’t going away anytime soon. Pandoras Box.

Reaction Score
They did interview Leslie Frazier in person after they interviewed Flores in person. Not a peep from Frazier.
Frazier hasn't been a serious HC candidate since going down in flames with the Vikings. He only got the interview because one of his Buffalo contacts got the GM job. He was supposed to come in, have his interview to meet league requirements and leave quietly so they could hire who they really wanted.

Reaction Score
As soon as the Giants hired the Buffalo exec to be GM, it was odds on that he would bring a coach he had worked with for years. It was clearly Daboll's job to lose. He didn't. Everyone else was a safety school including Flores.

Flores may have been Mara's guy, but Mara has screwed up the franchise for years. Taking him out of the process, and letting the GM do his job, was big step for the Giants.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The rule is well intentioned but fundamentally flawed. Unfortunately, the NFL is a retread league. Excessive nepotism as well. Look at all the Shanahans, Shotenheimers, and yes, Moras. Lots of guys getting 2nd and 3rd shots as head coach, while new guys don't seem to get even one. Eric Bieniemy is waiting his turn, Doug Pederson and Josh McD just got their second. Too often that negatively impacts black coaches who often aren't part of the network. That said, Flores was hired by the Dolphins.

Not sure what the right answer is. But let's say Bill Belichick retires as coach but stays GM and wants to hire Steve Belichick as HC. He has to interview other guys he knows he isn't going to hire? Why?

Reaction Score
Flores seems determined to not work in the NFL anymore. The statement his attorneys issued yesterday praising the Texans for hiring Lovie Smith, while also bitching about him not getting the job was ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Flores seems determined to not work in the NFL anymore. The statement his attorneys issued yesterday praising the Texans for hiring Lovie Smith, while also bitching about him not getting the job was ridiculous.
Agreed. I felt like his initial stance was pretty solid and I assumed he had plenty of supporting material to back his position.

To immediately take a shot at a 2 time head coach and former coach of the year now makes his whole position seem more catty than it did yesterday.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I watched one television interview with the guy and his lawyers last week. He's got crazy in his eyes. No way I would ever have considered hiring him, especially after his history of not playing well with others.

Reaction Score
So I guess this means Flores isn't going back to NE to coach the defense? Damn. At least Joe Judge is coming back. (Cringe.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom