Brendan Adams (URI decommit) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Brendan Adams (URI decommit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We need to upgrade the roster if we want to get back to the level we all desire. We should not be tying up a four year scholarship with a player who will add depth to the roster. We need to focus on kids that can upgrade our roster. We are not aspiring to be URI. We are UConn with much better tradition, much better facilities and a much higher ceiling than URI. Hurley & his staff should be able to compete for higher level recruits. I really like the staff he's put together. Now its time to see him do similar in terms of the roster. We have three scholarships to give this year and only two next year. We seem to be involved with a lot of quality 2019 kids. Lets use these scholarships wisely. I'd rather bring in a grad transfer(or one & done) so we can go after more than two 2019 recruits. Based on the way Hurley filled out his staff, there is every reason to believe that he will be just as diligent in his recruit selection. I hope so.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This is a tough one. Hurley liked him enough to close the deal for URI; but using his own words: UConn is a destination program. Is a lowish 3* properly destined for UConn?
The kid is 20 spots off a 4* rating...?

Reaction Score
We need to upgrade the roster if we want to get back to the level we all desire. We should not be tying up a four year scholarship with a player who will add depth to the roster. We need to focus on kids that can upgrade our roster. We are not aspiring to be URI. We are UConn with much better tradition, much better facilities and a much higher ceiling than URI. Hurley & his staff should be able to compete for higher level recruits. I really like the staff he's put together. Now its time to see him do similar in terms of the roster. We have three scholarships to give this year and only two next year. We seem to be involved with a lot of quality 2019 kids. Lets use these scholarships wisely. I'd rather bring in a grad transfer(or one & done) so we can go after more than two 2019 recruits. Based on the way Hurley filled out his staff, there is every reason to believe that he will be just as diligent in his recruit selection. I hope so.

We need a point guard on the roster for next year beyond what we have given the uncertainty with Gilbert. Even if it's just a Rob Garrison to play 5 minutes a game if Gilbert goes down (and given Hurley wanted him for a team that's been in the Tourney I have no reason to think he isn't a lot better than Rob Garrison). We are UConn, but we need to get back to where URI was under Hurley as a step towards getting back to where UConn was under Calhoun.

If this is the best point guard we can get for next year, and the staff thinks he can help us, great. We can't judge recruiting based on what happens plugging holes for next season -- we just need to plug the holes. We can start judging with the class of '19. But we don't help future classes by not being the best team we can be next year and showing improvement.

Reaction Score
Also worth noting that Kimani Young recruited him to Minnesota. So 3/4 on the coaching staff (Dan Hurley, TM, KY) have had a significant interest in him already.

Yeah!

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
They may know slightly more about talent evaluation and program building than us here.
They surely do. But I just want to point out that what they've really excelled at is talent development. Kids who've gone to URI over the last 6 years have almost uniformly improved a ton, which is probably what I'm most excited about.

I don't think we're going to be reeling in 5-stars left and right, and I don't think we're suddenly going to be getting Emeka or Jeremy-like (i.e., way underrated future lotto picks) every single season. What I do expect is that pretty much every guy we land will consistently improve over the course of their stay in Storrs.

And when you have that foundation, you will win a lot of games. Add the occasional five-star to that foundation, and you give yourself a puncher's chance of hanging banners.

I just want the process to be a process again. I want to watch the kids we get improve. If that happens, we will be very good for a very long time.

Reaction Score
They surely do. But I just want to point out that what they've really excelled at is talent development. Kids who've gone to URI over the last 6 years have almost uniformly improved a ton, which is probably what I'm most excited about.

I don't think we're going to be reeling in 5-stars left and right, and I don't think we're suddenly going to be getting Emeka or Jeremy-like (i.e., way underrated future lotto picks) every single season. What I do expect is that pretty much every guy we land will consistently improve over the course of their stay in Storrs.

And when you have that foundation, you will win a lot of games. Add the occasional five-star to that foundation, and you give yourself a puncher's chance of hanging banners.

I just want the process to be a process again. I want to watch the kids we get improve. If that happens, we will be very good for a very long time.

100% agree!

Reaction Score

Agreed, but a counterpoint: that's all part of identifying guys that want to work, too. Hopefully all the guys on the roster right now buy what Hurley is selling. The fact none have transferred yet is a good sign that they have.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Agreed, but a counterpoint: that's all part of identifying guys that want to work, too.
Very fair point. Hopefully he's as good at identifying guys with a talent for hard work as he is at identifying guys with a talent for basketball.

Hopefully all the guys on the roster right now buy what Hurley is selling. The fact none have transferred yet is a good sign that they have.
It really is. I have such high hopes for Carlton in particular.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Very fair point. Hopefully he's as good at identifying guys with a talent for hard work as he is at identifying guys with a talent for basketball.

It really is. I have such high hopes for Carlton in particular.

The S&C guy is gonna have a huge factor in that as well.

He needs to add strength and some explosiveness (even if not quick twitch, just the ability to get off the floor and dunk some of those put backs).

I think Sid might be the one i have the most hopes for on the current roster now (for the future).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If we're looking at bringing in a freshman PG, and not a grad transfer, then this is the right level of player. Stud PG aren't going to come here until the Gilbert situation is resolved, and he's either great, or clearly not. Next year we could bring in a more highly rated guy, with Adams gone and Gilbert a Junior.

I do like that Hurley seems to be focusing on guys who have more size.

Reaction Score
We need a point guard on the roster for next year beyond what we have given the uncertainty with Gilbert. Even if it's just a Rob Garrison to play 5 minutes a game if Gilbert goes down (and given Hurley wanted him for a team that's been in the Tourney I have no reason to think he isn't a lot better than Rob Garrison). We are UConn, but we need to get back to where URI was under Hurley as a step towards getting back to where UConn was under Calhoun.

If this is the best point guard we can get for next year, and the staff thinks he can help us, great. We can't judge recruiting based on what happens plugging holes for next season -- we just need to plug the holes. We can start judging with the class of '19. But we don't help future classes by not being the best team we can be next year and showing improvement.

I agree with most of what you said here. But I would prefer we get a grad transfer (or one & done) to fill the point guard need so we have that scholarship available in 2019 where we have a good chance of landing a higher level player. Hurley brought in three really strong recruiters as assistants, all well-connected. Let's make sure they have the scholarships to go after some of this top level talent that these guys seem capable of bringing in.

Reaction Score
I didn't say he was an exact clone. But a thin, 6-4, PG, who attacks the rim, and does have a high dribble made me immediately thin of TSam. And I really didn't see enough outside shooting in those highlights to have a opinion on that.

AND.. TSam wasn't a bad player, he helped on a NC squad, so it's not an insult.
Samuel should never be the standard for recruiting. He wasn't a bad player he just wasn't a very good player at our level despite a few good and very important plays. Adams looks to have more talent.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Agreed, but a counterpoint: that's all part of identifying guys that want to work, too. Hopefully all the guys on the roster right now buy what Hurley is selling. The fact none have transferred yet is a good sign that they have.
Sounded like he made work ethic a priority ("hardest practice of your life" I think was the comment) when he met with the team.
Not mincing words to the faint of heart.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Banking scholarships is not a good idea. Especially with the uncertainty at Guard with Gilbert. Fill the roster and get guys working together.

Ollie left 2 scholarships unfilled in 2016-17. That compounded the problem once injuries hit. It just isn't a good idea to have less scholarship players on the roster than other teams.

That's why we need a grad transfer. Immediate player with a banked scholarship all in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom