Breanna, Napheesa, and Dee - oh my! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Breanna, Napheesa, and Dee - oh my!

Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree more. Dee has been available to team USA every single cycle since she was in high school. U-whatever teams, World teams, Olympic teams. She's the consummate team player and an incredible leader. If she wants to be on the team, she should be on the team. I didn't hear ANYONE complain when Tamika Catchings, long in the tooth, made the team in her final go-around.

Too bad if some younger player, who may be "better" gets left off. If Dee wants it, she has earned a spot. I imagine there will be some hysteria hopefully when she makes the team, and someone else is left off. Plenty of time for others in the future.
I agree with you 1000%. Plus who says the top point scorer in the WNBA isn't good enough to be on the team? DT can still light it up. I really don't understand people looking at her birthdate and determining she shouldn't be on the team. Oh well, some people are Nika haters, and some people are DT haters, and some people hate both.

What do you mean hater? Well, the camp hasn't started yet, but the haters are SURE it's a done deal and their minds are made up already. I'd say that's a little bit biased.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
History is also replete with fans who are the last to understand that the discussion should be done.
Fortunately, the fans don't pick the Olympic team, the USA Basketball National committee does. If they decide that Diana brings value to the roster, perhaps fans would be wise not to second guess them?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree with you 1000%. Plus who says the top point scorer in the WNBA isn't good enough to be on the team? DT can still light it up. I really don't understand people looking at her birthdate and determining she shouldn't be on the team. Oh well, some people are Nika haters, and some people are DT haters, and some people hate both.

What do you mean hater? Well, the camp hasn't started yet, but the haters are SURE it's a done deal and their minds are made up already. I'd say that's a little bit biased.
Pardon me. I’m the one that suggested it that “…maybe it’s time to make room for some youngsters”. Nowhere did I say she can’t play and I am hardly a hater :rolleyes:

Unless Diana plans to play for another 5-6 Olympics, some younger players need to be groomed to step in. Do we as Americans, not UConn fans, want an inexperienced point guard taking over the National team on the world’s biggest stage? I can’t find the threads now, but Boneyarders were up in arms about Tamika Catchings playing in her 4th Olympics over younger players (even though it was Geno that wanted her on the team). Now here we are with Boneyarders calling fans that think maybe Diana should be allowing younger kids to develop “haters”. I guess the it’s the alma mater that should be most important, not what’s best for Team USA.

Gotta love the Boneyard

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think this just shows how far UCONN has fallen off. For the 2012, 2016 and 2020 Olympics, there were 6/5/5 UCONN players on the final roster. A couple more on the preliminary squads. Now here in 2024 it's down to 3 in the preliminary squads with one of them being a 40+ year old player.

Reaction Score
I think this just shows how far UCONN has fallen off. For the 2012, 2016 and 2020 Olympics, there were 6/5/5 UCONN players on the final roster. A couple more on the preliminary squads. Now here in 2024 it's down to 3 in the preliminary squads with one of them being a 40+ year old player.
"Fallen off" or maybe they're just trying to branch out and find a different mix of players? If I remember correctly, there used to be quite a lot of complaints from other programs that UConn got so many players on the team. It's politics as much as it is talent.

And UConn players are still playing in the Olympics with 3x3 basketball and being pretty successful with that.

Reaction Score
I've posted for years USA basketball didn't do themselves any favors by not breaking in a younger point guard to spell Sue before her time ran out. Chelsea Gray, if she is able, would be the best option but beyond that I don't see anyone on the list who is a pure PG. Plum, Young and Ionescu, like Diana, are all acceptable PGs but if C. Gray can't go, all of those could wind up making it just to share in ball handling duties.

If I were picking the twelve and all listed are healthy and available, DT is left out. However that's just me.

Reaction Score
I've posted for years USA basketball didn't do themselves any favors by not breaking in a younger point guard to spell Sue before her time ran out. Chelsea Gray, if she is able, would be the best option but beyond that I don't see anyone on the list who is a pure PG. Plum, Young and Ionescu, like Diana, are all acceptable PGs but if C. Gray can't go, all of those could wind up making it just to share in ball handling duties.

If I were picking the twelve and all listed are healthy and available, DT is left out. However that's just me.

USAA Basketball has sometimes added a top college player to the Olympic Team. I believe Maya and Stewie were not yet on WNBA teams when they went to the Olympics. It is possible that Caitlin Clark or Paige could get an invite at some point after the WCBB season is over.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Given the successful year she just had -- and Chelsea Gray's situation -- I was a bit surprised Jordin Canada didn't get an invite to this camp. That said, I think your scenario makes sense: lead guard by committee. And once the ball is in the front court, Stewie and Jewell are adept at directing half-court sets.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
USAA Basketball has sometimes added a top college player to the Olympic Team. I believe Maya and Stewie were not yet on WNBA teams when they went to the Olympics. It is possible that Caitlin Clark or Paige could get an invite at some point after the WCBB season is over.
That's not a lot of time to incorporate a newbie into a National Team; a group of players that are very familiar with each other from some form of national-team duty and/or the WNBA. I'm also saying that fully aware Clark and Bueckers will probably have very long and productive stints on the U.S.A. National Team. However, I think those stints after the Paris Olympics....just a gut feeling.

Reaction Score
If the young players are better they will beat Taurasi for a spot on the Team. DT doesn’t want any charity.
Look, I don’t have a dog in this fight but let’s not kid ourselves. If she wants one, she will get a spot unless she is unable to walk. I don’t really feel strongly enough to argue about it but I too tend to think it’s time to let the young players have a shot. She’s had her (well deserved) time in the sun and perhaps should be self-aware enough to know it’s time to step aside for the younglings.

Reaction Score
Age isn't everything, but it does matter. Catchings was 36 for the 2016 Olympics. Diana will be 42 for this summer's Games.

Because she's been on national teams since whenever should not matter. Because she wants it? That's laughable.

She's earned our respect for her career and our thanks for all she's brought to UConn and USA basketball. A spot on the 2024 team should not be part of that package.

You feel the other players listed don't supply enough leadership? Hopefully you're kidding...
No one deserves a spot on the Olympic team, the spot needs to be earned. The best players should go, for some it will be a once in a lifetime experience.
They shouldn't be deprived of that because DT wants to set a record.
If DT is one of the 12 best and can do more then be a token player OK.

Reaction Score
A'ja, Stewie, and Griner will start up front, with Gray, and possibly Plum in the backcourt. Thomas will be the first off the bench, along with Collier, and Loyd.

Reaction Score
Pardon me. I’m the one that suggested it that “…maybe it’s time to make room for some youngsters”. Nowhere did I say she can’t play and I am hardly a hater :rolleyes:

Unless Diana plans to play for another 5-6 Olympics, some younger players need to be groomed to step in. Do we as Americans, not UConn fans, want an inexperienced point guard taking over the National team on the world’s biggest stage? I can’t find the threads now, but Boneyarders were up in arms about Tamika Catchings playing in her 4th Olympics over younger players (even though it was Geno that wanted her on the team). Now here we are with Boneyarders calling fans that think maybe Diana should be allowing younger kids to develop “haters”. I guess the it’s the alma mater that should be most important, not what’s best for Team USA.

Gotta love the Boneyard
I wasn't referring to you, and "hate" is too strong a word, but I was trying to make a point.

I completely disagree with the need to groom younger players. In my opinion that is an invalid reason for staffing an Olympic team. These aren't high school kids we are talking about. They are the best professionals in basketball. Most have been playing in the pros for at least for a couple of years (ok, maybe a college player every once in a while). If they need grooming why in the world would they even be considered for the team? People want to use the Olympics to groom players? Unreal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom