Bracketology: We're still in!!!!! | The Boneyard

Bracketology: We're still in!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
10 seed baby: Bracketology with Joe Lunardi

But in all seriousness, I'm not sure how he has us in still at this point. Definitely plausible, but not sure how we're anything but the 250th best team in basketball after those first two games. He must have a lot of faith in the team to turn things around here.

On another weird note, we're actually only down to 65th on Kenpom somehow. So that's good.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

But in all seriousness, I'm not sure how he has us in still at this point. Definitely plausible, but not sure how we're anything but the 250th best team in basketball after those first two games. He must have a lot of faith in the team to turn things around here.

On another weird note, we're actually only down to 65th on Kenpom somehow. So that's good.
we need to win tonight... but other than that, we have maui, cuse, auburn, gtown still to go plus cinci 2x... I still think we will get it cooking, hopefully it starts tonight

Reaction Score

I mean, bracketology is a projection so I get it. I'm probably in the extreme minority on The Boneyard, but 2 games hasn't soured my expectations for this year. Still think once this team has time to learn how to play together they'll be fine

Reaction Score
we need to win tonight... but other than that, we have maui, cuse, auburn, gtown still to go plus cinci 2x... I still think we will get it cooking, hopefully it starts tonight

Yeah we've got plenty of opportunities. Just have to show some sign of life before I'm totally ready to predict any turnaround. The first two games looked like the players were acting out Weekend at Bernie's on the offensive end. And it's absolutely plausible that they could win the AAC, they are undoubtedly the most talented team. But again, no pulse so far. So not buying it until these dudes give us some reason to believe they can do it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Many on the boneyard suffer from a serious case of inferiority complex when it comes to the program (well those who post their thoughts). Many boneyarders are acting as though we will be a sub-500 team this year. However, many non-UConn fans still believe that UConn will be playing in NCAA tournament and many college bball fans think anytime a UConn team is playing in March they are a team to be reckoned with, Lunardi is no different.

This UConn team has some serious talent led by Larrier, Adams, and AG. Vance is also emerging as a key young talented player. Lets stop the whole self loathing and lets start acting as the fan base of a national premier blue-blood program.

Reaction Score
Still think once this team has time to learn how to play together they'll be fine
The same exact thing was said early on the last couple years.

The big difference between then an now is that while those previous teams struggled, they still won their initial cupcakes. This team (who by the way is now demonstrating that this is in fact a trend) has not only struggled, has not only lost against its early cupcakes, but has led for what, a couple possessions, across those two games. This third team is now showing that this is becoming a trend, and in the wrong direction. They barely gave Wagner and Northeastern a fight. The team is already limping out the gate. There is absolutely no reason to believe that this team is going to "learn to play together." KO and co. have failed to do that across multiple seasons now (and the red flags are raised even higher this year), and without some of the best upperclassmen leadership in UConn history in 2014, who really knows what KO's capacity is for getting kids to play together. I'll tell you what; this all started with KO calling Purvis a Ferrari. Maybe KO plays in to these kids' egos a bit too much.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
noooooooooooooooo

Reaction Score
The same exact thing was said early on the last couple years.

The big difference between then an now is that while those previous teams struggled, they still won their initial cupcakes. This team (who by the way is now demonstrating that this is in fact a trend) has not only struggled, has not only lost against its early cupcakes, but has led for what, a couple possessions, across those two games. This third team is now showing that this is becoming a trend, and in the wrong direction. They barely gave Wagner and Northeastern a fight. The team is already limping out the gate. There is absolutely no reason to believe that this team is going to "learn to play together." KO and co. have failed to do that across multiple seasons now (and the red flags are raised even higher this year), and without some of the best upperclassmen leadership in UConn history in 2014, who really knows what KO's capacity is for getting kids to play together. I'll tell you what; this all started with KO calling Purvis a Ferrari. Maybe KO plays in to these kids' egos a bit too much.
If I were to rank the players in order of importance I'd say it's Adams, Larrier, Gilbert (in some order but they're the top 3), who have been involved in exactly 1 season combined of those struggles you described

You can go ahead and be pessimistic all you want, but as a fan I'm not going to give up on the season after 2 games. But you keep doing you

Reaction Score
If I were to rank the players in order of importance I'd say it's Adams, Larrier, Gilbert (in some order but they're the top 3), who have been involved in exactly 1 season combined of those struggles you described

You can go ahead and be pessimistic all you want, but as a fan I'm not going to give up on the season after 2 games. But you keep doing you
I think you're missing my point. I used that evidence to say that we have no real reason to expect anything going forward, especially from KO, under whose coaching multiple teams have absolutely not come together. If this team does come together, it will offset a trend. And the early indicators are worse than they were in those previous seasons.

Reaction Score
I think you're missing my point. I used that evidence to say that we have no real reason to expect anything going forward, especially from KO, under whose coaching multiple teams have absolutely not come together. If this team does come together, it will offset a trend. And the early indicators are worse than they were in those previous seasons.
No I got that point, my point was more that, at least to me, this season is different in that we're relying on a lot more out of new players like Larrier and Gilbert compared to the last few years where we've had juniors or seniors who we could count on. That's the only reason I'm willing to give this team a little more time

Now I'll readily admit that this might be naive to expect that, but I still have hope they figure it out

Reaction Score
No I got that point, my point was more that, at least to me, this season is different in that we're relying on a lot more out of new players like Larrier and Gilbert compared to the last few years where we've had juniors or seniors who we could count on. That's the only reason I'm willing to give this team a little more time

Now I'll readily admit that this might be naive to expect that, but I still have hope they figure it out
Why should we expect a team that expects high contribution from newcomers when Sterling Gibbs, Shonn Miller, Jalen Adams, and Steve Enoch combined for 88.8 minutes, 35.2 points, 11.5 rebounds, 5.3 assists, and 3 steals per game, which wass good for 44.4%, 48%, 32%, 38%, and 50% respectively of the team's production. I get that that team made the tournament but still, you can't deny that our starts have been fairly predictive of our seasons the last few years, and this start has been the worst in 50 years.

The last two years, I was totally on your side about it

Reaction Score
Why should we expect a team that expects high contribution from newcomers when Sterling Gibbs, Shonn Miller, Jalen Adams, and Steve Enoch combined for 88.8 minutes, 35.2 points, 11.5 rebounds, 5.3 assists, and 3 steals per game, which wass good for 44.4%, 48%, 32%, 38%, and 50% respectively of the team's production. I get that that team made the tournament but still, you can't deny that our starts have been fairly predictive of our seasons the last few years, and this start has been the worst in 50 years.

The last two years, I was totally on your side about it
That's fair, ultimately a lot of my optimism comes from the fact that we're in the AAC so I have confidence that we can go on a run and take the automatic bid. And by that point hopefully everyone has figured out their roles and what they need to do to win (or at the very least how to not leave their man open from 3). Of course there's always a chance this team just doesn't figure it out, but I think they have too much talent to look this bad all year

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I mean, bracketology is a projection so I get it. I'm probably in the extreme minority on The Boneyard, but 2 games hasn't soured my expectations for this year. Still think once this team has time to learn how to play together they'll be fine

Yes, but .... I've got to start seeing a clue on offense, stifling defense when it counts, and can someone please reliably grab the ball off the boards!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom