Bracketology update -- I like this one! (NC St is our #2) | The Boneyard

Bracketology update -- I like this one! (NC St is our #2)

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme's latest. I know this is constantly in flux, but I hope some version of this one holds up, because NC State is a very favorable 2 seed for our Huskies.... Let Miss St and Oregon (for now as #2's) go elsewhere and battle the other power teams, so we can have an easier ride to our 12th consecutive Final Four. :)
ESPN: The Worldwide Leader in Sports - ESPN

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think that so long as UConn is the #2 overall seed or better, the Huskies should get a favorable draw in Albany, by which I mean they avoid any of the 5 other teams that could win it all until the FF: Baylor, Louisville, Oregon, ND & MS St.

Reaction Score
I see that Charlie still hasn't justified why Baylor is getting the shaft in his bracket. The number one overall seed should be facing the weakest 2 seed, or if absolutely necessary the 2nd weakest. They absolutely should not be facing the 2nd best 2 seed, especially when there is an enormous gap in quality between the top 6 and the next few teams. It could easily be rectified by shuffling a couple teams, so there is no reason for it.

Put Mississippi State in Chicago, send Stanford to Albany and NC State to Greensboro and you've got a great, fair bracket. What he's got makes no sense.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Not sure of BYU in bracket unless they win WCC tournament. No significant wins in OOC play and losses to Cal and Utah.
I know they beat the Zags twice, by 2 points each game, but I was not impressed with them in the games I have seen.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I see that Charlie still hasn't justified why Baylor is getting the shaft in his bracket. The number one overall seed should be facing the weakest 2 seed, or if absolutely necessary the 2nd weakest. They absolutely should not be facing the 2nd best 2 seed, especially when there is an enormous gap in quality between the top 6 and the next few teams. It could easily be rectified by shuffling a couple teams, so there is no reason for it.

Put Mississippi State in Chicago, send Stanford to Albany and NC State to Greensboro and you've got a great, fair bracket. What he's got makes no sense.
Relax. Charlie Creme isn’t the committee actually tasked with making the selections. Beyond that, take some advice from a short Italian coach who said, “I don’t worry about things I can’t control. We’ll go wherever they send us and play whoever they put in our bracket.”

Reaction Score
Relax. Charlie Creme isn’t the committee actually tasked with making the selections. Beyond that, take some advice from a short Italian coach who said, “I don’t worry about things I can’t control. We’ll go wherever they send us and play whoever they put in our bracket.”
But I need something to yell about on this boring Monday!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The best thing for Uconn is to have Baylor and Mississippi state in the same bracket so only one could possibly face Uconn in a final 4 game, not both.
Tough to beat Brown and Cox, or McGowan when you don't match up well with power bigs.
Of course that also means Uconn must take care of business vs all others.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State is not going to be a No. 2 seed in Baylor Bracket. If they win out chances are they will be the fourth No. 1 seed. Don't see Baylor or UConn loosing anytime soon. That is unless Texas pulls off a huge upset; which I doubt. Maryland will wind up being a Two Seed and not NC State.

1a) Baylor
1b) UConn
1c) Notre Dame / Louisville (whomever goes the furthest in ACC Tourney)
1d) Mississippi State

2a) Louisville / Notre Dame (whomever goes the least in ACC Tourney)
2b) Oregon
2c) Maryland
2d) Stanford / Oregon State (whomever goes the furthest in PAC Tourney)

Just my opinion. We'll find out soon enough though. Should be interesting

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Sigh. Just send us to the Pacific Coast all ready.
Yes, speaking of teams not matching up well vs. other teams, that would certainly seem to fit the Gamecocks with reference to UConn. But you guys are welcome to commiserate with Joanne P. McCallie!

I only caught the second half of your game yesterday against the Orange Ones, but it looked to me as if Dawn might have been plagiarizing some of Geno's offense. Do you think that is true? It looked as if she was doing a pretty good job of it!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think this Bracket gives UConn the weakest #8 and #9 Seeds. If not the weakest teams, then teams UConn shouldn't lose to. I guess if DePaul could get hot shooting 3's and if UConn is not hitting their shots, they could make the game interesting. Don't see UConn getting upset in the 2nd round.

Reaction Score

I think a Baylor MSST matchup will be a physical game well worth watching but I too wish it would occur at the FF rather than the regional.

Reaction Score

LOL LOL Why is it that everyone's "fair" bracket has their team avoiding any strong team within their region? And whatever gave you the idea that this process is ever fair? Every year there are teams that justifiably cry unfair. Example: 2008 - UConn the overall No 1 seed got Rutgers, the overall 5th seed as the 2 in their region. The reason? To provide balance to the regions. It seems that UConn's region had a bunch of weak seeds at 7-16 so putting Rutgers, who was an eyelash away from being the 4th 1 seed, into UConn's region was done in the interests of fairness (or at least that's how the committee chair explained it). The wailing and gnashing of teeth in Conn could be heard all the way to Indianapolis.

UConn will catch a break if they, N Dame and Louis all get 1 seeds. There are 4 ACC teams in the top 16 so they have to be separated and that means UConn gets either Miami or NC St. in Creme's chart. I see Miami as a 3/4 and NC St as a 2/3. But let's say that Stanford wins the P12 tournament. They could easily be the 2 in Albany.
So many options. And with the rats nest of rules about seeding the committee can do just about anything they desire.
The only consistency they have shown over the last dozen or so years is in keeping UConn & Tenn in different regions, even if it meant putting Rutgers with UConn and Tenn with LSU that year.

Reaction Score
LOL LOL Why is it that everyone's "fair" bracket has their team avoiding any strong team within their region? And whatever gave you the idea that this process is ever fair? Every year there are teams that justifiably cry unfair. Example: 2008 - UConn the overall No 1 seed got Rutgers, the overall 5th seed as the 2 in their region. The reason? To provide balance to the regions. It seems that UConn's region had a bunch of weak seeds at 7-16 so putting Rutgers, who was an eyelash away from being the 4th 1 seed, into UConn's region was done in the interests of fairness (or at least that's how the committee chair explained it). The wailing and gnashing of teeth in Conn could be heard all the way to Indianapolis.

UConn will catch a break if they, N Dame and Louis all get 1 seeds. There are 4 ACC teams in the top 16 so they have to be separated and that means UConn gets either Miami or NC St. in Creme's chart. I see Miami as a 3/4 and NC St as a 2/3. But let's say that Stanford wins the P12 tournament. They could easily be the 2 in Albany.
So many options. And with the rats nest of rules about seeding the committee can do just about anything they desire.
The only consistency they have shown over the last dozen or so years is in keeping UConn & Tenn in different regions, even if it meant putting Rutgers with UConn and Tenn with LSU that year.
When your team is the number 1 overall seed, you expect to face the lowest 2 seed, not the 3rd lowest. That's how brackets work. If they would just follow the S-curve, or at least prioritize it over the G-curve, there wouldn't be any trouble.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I think that so long as UConn is the #2 overall seed or better, the Huskies should get a favorable draw in Albany, by which I mean they avoid any of the 5 other teams that could win it all until the FF: Baylor, Louisville, Oregon, ND & MS St.
Not true, as a 2 they would face a Number 1 in the regional final

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I see that Charlie still hasn't justified why Baylor is getting the shaft
Because Kim Mulkey is WAY more entertaining when she's outraged and tossing jackets than when she remains composed. The committee needs to start thinking about entertainment value!

Seriously, he's interpreting (or misinterpreting) the committee's Feb. 11 reveal — where Notre Dame was sent to Greensboro — as a signal that geographical proximity will trump competitive balance. I think he's misreading that one.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not true, as a 2 they would face a Number 1 in the regional final
You misunderstand my post. UConn would be one of 4 #1 seeds, and the #2 overall seed behind Baylor.

Reaction Score
When your team is the number 1 overall seed, you expect to face the lowest 2 seed, not the 3rd lowest. That's how brackets work. If they would just follow the S-curve, or at least prioritize it over the G-curve, there wouldn't be any trouble.

But they haven't ever just followed the S curve. Go to the NCAA site and read the rules for selection & seeding. You are only complaining now that Baylor is the overall 1 seed. Your complaint has been repeated almost every year by someone. It's nothing new.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
NC State as a #2 seed in Albany? Oh what a wonderful dream. Ephemeral though. The ACC championship will give us either Louisville or ND as a #1, but not both. Yet, I can still dream.

tenor.gif

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

As of February 24, 2019, the NCAA link has Mississippi State 9th in RPI, with Baylor ranked 2nd. But in terms of rankings as of today (February 25, 2019), RealTimeRPI has MSST 7th in current RPI, with Baylor second. In terms of projected RPI (for the end of the season before the NCAAT), RealTimeRPI still has Baylor 2nd and MSST 7th.

If that ends up being the case, then the 2nd best #1 seed (Baylor) would be playing the 2nd weakest #2 seed (MSST).

That being said, however, RealTimeRPI projects NC State as the 8th seed and Notre Dame as the 1st seed.

My point is that even if you are not happy with Creme's bracket (and there is a different between not being happy and disagreeing based on specific evidence/links/rules, which I did not see in your post -- and I apologize if they were in another post in a different thread, as I did not see them) are certainly numbers out there that justify Charlie Creme's current placement of Mississippi State in the bracket with Baylor (along with Creme's note about the way the committee assigns regional placement based on a team's position on the S-curve). And this is why I provided all of the different links in my (this) post.

In addition, there will be changing circumstances, especially since three of the top 8 seeds (the #1s and #2s) play in the same conference (NC State, Louisville, and Notre Dame), with NC State to play Louisville this week, plus the upcoming ACC Tournament.

Not sure of BYU in bracket unless they win WCC tournament. No significant wins in OOC play and losses to Cal and Utah.
I know they beat the Zags twice, by 2 points each game, but I was not impressed with them in the games I have seen.

As of February 24, 2019, the NCAA link has BYU 27th in RPI. As of February 25, 2019, RealTimeRPI has BYU as 29th in RPI.

With all due respect, the fact that you were not impressed with BYU in the games you saw is not exactly a criterion for not securing an at-large bid.

However, the fact that BYU's remaining games are against San Diego, San Francisco, and Santa Clara -- two of which have RPI ratings over 240, with the third at 166 -- certainly is, as it will bring down BYU's current RPI (29) and SOS (76) (as of February 25, 2019) to a proejcted RPI (36) and SOS (97) -- and the projected RPI is assuming that BYU wins all three games. A loss would severely dampen BYU's chances for an at-large bid and likely would require winning the WCC Tournament to make the NCAAs.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The problem with MsSt is their RPI is #9 according to the NCAA RPI ranking:
DI Women's Basketball Rankings - NCAA Women's Basketball RPI | NCAA.com

And ND and Louisville are all significantly higher so I just do not see MsSt being awarded a #1 seed over either as long as they both meet in the ACC tournament and they do not have another loss which I think is likely. (And at this point RPI ranking is not going to move a lot from where it is.)

Note that both Stanford and Oregon have better RPI as well.

And yes Uconn is at #5, but with the win over ND and the two losses being to Baylor and Louisville the resume is significantly better outside of the RPI. MsSt is suffering from a really weak SEC this year and what has turned into a pretty weak OOC.

Reaction Score
I think everyone, including the committee, realizes that Mississippi State is better than their RPI. They were given a 1 seed in the first reveal for a reason. I know they lost since then, but I really doubt that would drop them below number 6 or so overall. Certainly they are still ranked ahead of Stanford or NC State, who appear to be the current contenders for the the last spots on the 2 line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom