Brace yourself: Coaching change silly season set to begin. (CBS Sports - Fowler) | The Boneyard

Brace yourself: Coaching change silly season set to begin. (CBS Sports - Fowler)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A few UConn mentions:

Brace yourself: Coaching change silly season set to begin
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...elf-coaching-change-silly-season-set-to-begin

Hell - we should pin this thread and post everything here. It's gonna get bizarre with all the disinformation and rumors that are going to be put out there. Mods?

" Don't be surprised if UConn has interest in Towson's Rob Ambrose. Also consider North Dakota State's Craig Bohl, Youngstown State's Eric Wolford and Eastern Illinois' Dino Babers. "

Craig Bohl's intriguing..Check out this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/08/s...-with-panache-at-north-dakota-state.html?_r=0

Eric Wolford's intriguing to but not as much (doesn't seem to get his teams to finish games very well): http://www.ysusports.com/sports/fball/coaches/Wolford_Eric

Dino Babers' name is intriguing ... sounds good for College Football, but I think he still needs more time under his belt to be considered: http://www.eiupanthers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=320

Reaction Score
Question: That CBS article says that FAU has hired the Todd Turner search firm. Is that the same Todd Turner who was A.D. at UConn, left & took the same position at Virginia? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reaction Score
Question: That CBS article says that FAU has hired the Todd Turner search firm. Is that the same Todd Turner who was A.D. at UConn, left & took the same position at Virginia? Inquiring minds want to know.

Same guy I think. He went from UConn to NC State and then to Vanderbilt and The University of Washington.

Reaction Score
Just what I was "afraid of".........a hot 1-aa head coach becomes our next head coach.

No coordinator or specialty coach from a BCS school really interested?

Says a mouthful about program perception, and "buzz"......another coach successful in getting under the radar athletes? No thanks

The was more "buzz" transitioning from 1-aa to 1-a.........HCRE

Reaction Score

Yup... but he came from Virginia to UConn not vice versa. You might be confusing him w/ Pres. John Casteen who left UConn for UVA.

"Turner began his 32 year career in collegiate sports administration at the University of Virginia (1976-1987). He served as Director of Athletics at the University of Connecticut (1987-90); NC State University (1990-96); Vanderbilt University (1996-2003), and the University of Washington (2004-2008)."

http://collegiatesportsassociates.com/todd-turner/

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just what I was "afraid of".........a hot 1-aa head coach becomes our next head coach.

Says a mouthful about program perception, and "buzz"......another coach successful in getting under the radar athletes? No thanks

Jim Tressell went from I-AA Youngstown State to OSU. I mean it's not like a coordinator is a sure thing. Uhhhh Chip Kelly? You really think he couldn't have stepped right into the HC job at Oregon right away? Bellotti hired his successor straight out of I-AA AND HE WASN'T EVEN A HEAD COACH!

The thing that makes me nervous about Narduzzi and Herman is that if they do well here early, then as soon as some low end B1G program opens up then they are as good as gone.

I have zero problem with a I-AA guy if he is a winner and has demonstrated that killer instinct that we have not really ever had.

Reaction Score
Jim Tressell went from I-AA Youngstown State to OSU. I mean it's not like a coordinator is a sure thing. Uhhhh Chip Kelly? You really think he couldn't have stepped right into the HC job at Oregon right away? Bellotti hired his successor straight out of I-AA AND HE WASN'T EVEN A HEAD COACH!

The thing that makes me nervous about Narduzzi and Herman is that if they do well here early, then as soon as some low end B1G program opens up then they are as good as gone.

I have zero problem with a I-AA guy if he is a winner and has demonstrated that killer instinct that we have not really ever had.

Jim Tressell was at Youngstown for 15 years!!!! before he was hired at OSU and his team was very consistent winning every year.

Chip Kelly's offense where ever he went was averaging between 4,000 to 6,000 yards of offense it was obvious he was going to move up the coaching ranks.

How can you compare Ambrose to them? the guy has only been at Towson for 5 years and had 2 extremely poor records his first two years, in the FCS at that. Now that he beats Uconn you say he should be the next head coach? he needs more time before even taking a big job like Uconn. Unlike Foster his defense has been beast and he's been learning from one of the beast HC in the NCAA in Frank Beamer for 27 years.

So what makes you nervous about hiring a proven coach, unlike Ambrose, like Narduzzi and Herman is that if they do well they are as good as gone?

You think if Ambrose was successful early here at Uconn and was offered a HC job at a BiG conference program he wouldn't be gone?

Reaction Score
According to information I received from Dez at the time Edsall was in the process of replacing Ambrose as OC when he got the job at Towson. He told me that after I had emailed him about how piss poor the offense had been that season culminating with the first half showing at the International Bowl in Toronto.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If we end up with Ambrose as our next coach, I will be completely disgusted. He is a failed OC under ultra-conservative Randy friggin' Edsall. Does anyone remember how awful the play calling was under him??? One win against our worst team and worst coaching staff in our school's history does not make me want him to be our next coach. We might as well sign an AAC GOR if we hire Ambrose.

Reaction Score
I have to believe that with Ball State's season ending today...except for a Bowl Game....he would begin the process of having his agents talk
to Warde. Warde indicated early on that the search/ interviews would take place after 12/7 game with Memphis. Hope the search firms are on the line with
Lembo as we speak..... setting up the interview, that a plane ticket has already been booked and the Contract inking him as the new HC is a done deal by 12/8

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I'd take Bo Pelini right now if Nebraska gives up on him. This is the type of head coach Connecticut needs to get the casual fanbase on board.

Audio tape controversy[edit]
Following a home game loss to UCLA Bruins on September 14, 2013, and shortly after responding to criticism from former Nebraska football player Tommie Frazier about the loss,[15] a two-year old audio tape with a profane tirade by Pelini[16] was anonymously leaked to Deadspin.[17] The recording was made following Nebraska's come-from-behind win against Ohio State in 2011, when it was reported that some students left when Nebraska was down 27-6 early in the 3rd quarter. The Huskers won 34-27. According to Deadspin, among the statements made on the audio recording, Pelini said:

Our crowd. What a bunch of f-cking fair-weather f-cking—they can all kiss my as- out the -king door. 'Cause the day is -king coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm -king gone. I'm so -king pi-sed off.[17]

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind Pelini as coach because he's had to recruit nationally, something that is a very important skill for the next UConn coach to have. I would prefer if that coach has shown he can do it without a brand name like Nebraska. However, he did restore a dying program to a respectable level without the benefit of top tier athletes and cutting edge offensive schemes. IOW the type of FB a program like UConn should embrace.

Reaction Score

Doesn't want the "hot" candidate with head coaching experience, but will take the one with none . . .

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Pellini would not be my first choice (would likely not be in my top ten list) but we could do far worse than him.

Reaction Score
I'd take Bo Pelini right now if Nebraska gives up on him. This is the type of head coach Connecticut needs to get the casual fanbase on board.

Audio tape controversy[edit]
Following a home game loss to UCLA Bruins on September 14, 2013, and shortly after responding to criticism from former Nebraska football player Tommie Frazier about the loss,[15] a two-year old audio tape with a profane tirade by Pelini[16] was anonymously leaked to Deadspin.[17] The recording was made following Nebraska's come-from-behind win against Ohio State in 2011, when it was reported that some students left when Nebraska was down 27-6 early in the 3rd quarter. The Huskers won 34-27. According to Deadspin, among the statements made on the audio recording, Pelini said:

Our crowd. What a bunch of f-cking fair-weather f-cking—they can all kiss my as- out the -king door. 'Cause the day is -king coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm -king gone. I'm so -king pi-sed off.[17]

Can only imagine what Pelini's comments would be regarding the UCONN fair weather fans, coming into the stadium half way thru the first quarter and leaving early.....

Reaction Score
Domino effects will start to pick up when quality Coordinator jobs begin to open...

APMarkLong1:19pm via TweetDeck
AP source: Florida fires offensive coordinator Brent Pease after losing season

APMarkLong1:24pm via TweetDeck
Gators owe fired OC Brent Pease about $1.2M for the final two years remaining on his contract

Edit add:

BFeldmanCBS1:41pm via Web
OC Brent Pease isn't the only asst out at #UF,#Florida O-line coach Tim Davis also let go today, a source told CBS.

(Lineman blocking themselves tend to have negative implications ;))

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hate to say it, but TJ would be a very good OC at Florida.

Reaction Score
The real wild card will be if Michigan State shuts down Ohio State Saturday. Narduzzi will be able to name his price.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Jim Tressell was at Youngstown for 15 years!!!! before he was hired at OSU and his team was very consistent winning every year.

Chip Kelly's offense where ever he went was averaging between 4,000 to 6,000 yards of offense it was obvious he was going to move up the coaching ranks.

How can you compare Ambrose to them? the guy has only been at Towson for 5 years and had 2 extremely poor records his first two years, in the FCS at that. Now that he beats Uconn you say he should be the next head coach? he needs more time before even taking a big job like Uconn. Unlike Foster his defense has been beast and he's been learning from one of the beast HC in the NCAA in Frank Beamer for 27 years.

So what makes you nervous about hiring a proven coach, unlike Ambrose, like Narduzzi and Herman is that if they do well they are as good as gone?

You think if Ambrose was successful early here at Uconn and was offered a HC job at a BiG conference program he wouldn't be gone?

First two years were with someone else's recruits and not his own. He has been solid since.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
If we end up with Ambrose as our next coach, I will be completely disgusted. He is a failed OC under ultra-conservative Randy friggin' Edsall. Does anyone remember how awful the play calling was under him??? One win against our worst team and worst coaching staff in our school's history does not make me want him to be our next coach. We might as well sign an AAC GOR if we hire Ambrose.

Not for nothing but just about everyone 'failed' as a OC under ultra-conservative RE. It's almost as if he was the one running the offense no matter who the OC was.

Let me be clear that Ambrose isn't my first choice... but I'm not sure that because his offense didn't light it up while he was RE's OC that that should disqualify him... actually given my choice of former UConn OCs... I'd rather have Moorhead.

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
The real wild card will be if Michigan State shuts down Ohio State Saturday. Narduzzi will be able to name his price.

Yup. I would pay a very pretty penny to bring Narduzzi here but if we are bidding against Florida, Nebraska, USC, etc, our $2.5-$3M/yr offer will be easily trumped.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Not for nothing but just about everyone 'failed' as a OC under ultra-conservative RE. It's almost as if he was the one running the offense no matter who the OC was.

Let me be clear that Ambrose isn't my first choice... but I'm not sure that because his offense didn't light it up while he was RE's OC that that should disqualify him... actually given my choice of former UConn OCs... I'd rather have Moorhead.

All true. Edsall probably put the clamps down on any OC that would have come here. But I still think we can do MUCH better than a guy whose offense was putrid when he was here and doesn't have the proven consistency that guys like Narduzzi and Lembo have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom