Bouk needs another year in college | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Bouk needs another year in college

Reaction Score
Anyone who says Bouk needs to come back one more year doesn’t know crap about college or NBA basketball and shouldn’t be taken seriously. He’s a guaranteed lottery to mid-first round pick, where in addition to 4 years of guaranteed money that will change his life forever he’ll receive NBA coaching and an NBA strength and conditioning program.

The kid played with a post-operative elbow, poor conditioning, and with 100% of the offensive burden because not a single other player on Hurley’s roster can reliably score at the D1 level. He clearly had no legs the last few games and still led us in scoring.

His coach had no answer to Creighton or Maryland’s game plan of sending 2 or 3 players toward him when he drives. No adjustments. His coach couldn’t even get him any rest during that drubbing because the roster is devoid of offensive talent. Anyone seen Andre Jackson try to shoot? Tyrese Martin?

Good luck at the next level, Bouk.

Reaction Score
Lets play a hypothetical. If Bouk drops out of the top 15 in the draft, should he come back for a season? Not saying he will or he won't, just wondering what the thought process would be if he did.
No, 4 years of guaranteed money should never be turned down under any circumstances. Bazz went late 1st and turned that into 7-8 years of NBA salary. Bouk isn’t dropping below 20 under any circumstances.

Reaction Score
Does Bouk need another year in college to get to the next level? Maybe.

Will Bouk play another year at UConn. Heck no.

Gone are the days where lottery picks play another year to maybe improve their stock even more. It makes zero sense for any lottery pick in any school to stick around...there's a reason why over the last four drafts, 80% of top-ten picks drafted out of college are freshman (28 out of 35).

It didn't happen in the '20 draft. Maybe the closest was Jalen Smith as he was a likely first round pick in '19 but worked his way to a top-10 pick. Toppin, Vassell, Haliburton, Lewis...none of these guys were lottery picks after their freshman year.

It didn't happen in the '19 draft. Morant, Hunter, Culver, Hachimura, Johnson...none of these guys were lottery picks entering the '18 draft.

The last projected lottery pick who returned to school was Miles Bridges returning for the '18 draft. Did it help him? Not really...was a potential top-10 pick in the '17 draft and was picked #12 in the '18 draft.

As a potential top-ten pick Bouknight would be crazy not to declare for the draft and any fanbase would be ecstatic to draft him.

Reaction Score
From what we’ve seen in recent games, is Bouknight still a lottery pick?

I say no. Not even close.
You’re right 100%

We have to keep in mind that we still have some of ollies players and Hurley is trying to make it work with them. I think he did a great job with Polley and Whaley, but they were very inconsistent especially Whaley. Most of Ollie players were inconsistent.

Reaction Score
Did not Rip Hamilton decide to forego jumping to the league and he came back for one more year? And look what happened.... Why should/could it not be the same for Bouk?

Reaction Score
Did not Rip Hamilton decide to forego jumping to the league and he came back for one more year? And look what happened.... Why should/could it not be the same for Bouk?
That was 22 years ago.

The entire 1999 draft (Rip's draft year) included two freshmen.

The NBA draft has changes so much since then.

1616331283017.png

Reaction Score
So you are saying that just because the trend is for younger players to opt out to join the league, that is the reason Bouk should do it?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I got my butt kicked in this forum months ago for saying Bouk needed to stay another year. Now I want him to go. He does not play basketball the way I remember UConn basketball. UConn basketball, to me, was always about the team and the superstars were about making the entire team better. Bouk, in my opinion, was give me the ball and I will score myself. I think he should go and take his AAU mentality with him.

Reaction Score
Bouk coming back would do more harm than good, to both him and UConn. With Maryland fresh on the mind, look at Melo Trimble - he was a lottery/guaranteed first round pick and came back. Ended up in Australia or something. Bouk may not be a lottery pick after these past performances but there's no doubt he will get taken in the first. Go.

As to UConn, next year is a bridge year. Fix Jackson's jumper. Get the freshmen minutes. Make Sanogo and Springs comfortable. Get Akok healthy. Let Gaffney ball. Bring in another great class.

2023 can be a wagon of a team - especially if RJ Cole uses that fifth year of eligibility. But it needs the growing pains and experience a 2022 season without Bouk would bring.

Reaction Score
I got my butt kicked in this forum months ago for saying Bouk needed to stay another year. Now I want him to go. He does not play basketball the way I remember UConn basketball. UConn basketball, to me, was always about the team and the superstars were about making the entire team better. Bouk, in my opinion, was give me the ball and I will score myself. I think he should go and take his AAU mentality with him.
You make a very valid point

Reaction Score
I don't know why some people act like guys need to be a finished product and can't develop in the NBA. It's pretty much the opposite. They're going to develop more with NBA coaches, more games, NBA system, g league if they need it (don't think he's an example of someone who will). His game is much better suited for the spacing of the NBA.

I would love if he woke up tomorrow decided he likes it here, has unfinished business and wants to stay one more year, but it's not going to happen and that would be the only reason to stay. If he's focused on his pro career than there is no reason to come back

Reaction Score
I haven’t read all these posts, but from what i’ve seen on other threads and on social media: The amount of people ripping on James right now is really disappointing. We don’t even make the tournament without him. What he did for our program over the past 2 years should go without saying. Not a good look.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Bouknight isn't coming back and shouldn't come back. The only thing he could "prove" would be that he can lead a team on a deep run, and frankly he's not that type of player. This isn't a knock on him; he's more suited to be a 2nd or 3rd guy on a good team than the alpha dog.

Reaction Score
I don't know why some people act like guys need to be a finished product and can't develop in the NBA. It's pretty much the opposite. They're going to develop more with NBA coaches, more games, NBA system, g league if they need it (don't think he's an example of someone who will). His game is much better suited for the spacing of the NBA.

I would love if he woke up tomorrow decided he likes it here, has unfinished business and wants to stay one more year, but it's not going to happen and that would be the only reason to stay. If he's focused on his pro career than there is no reason to come back
THANK YOU. Everyone is saying he has to improve. OBVIOUSLY. The draft is based almost entirely on potential. It’s rare that players are completely polished. Honestly I think the only one this year that’s 100% ready is Cade. Although there’s other incredible players, EVERYONE has parts of their game they can improve on.

From my judgement, training with NBA coaches and NBA players will help improve his game more than staying to play in 25 games with college players and college coaches. No one expects him to be perfect, they ALL have work to do. I find it crazy that he has a few bad games after having an injury in the middle of a pandemic and all of a sudden he needs to come back to college another year. If he’s already a projected lottery pick or first rounded, that will not help him.

He’s leaving and he’s going in the first round. Period.

Reaction Score
He will get drafted but he isn’t ready. One more year and he probably goes top 5. I don’t see him drafted in the top 10 after these last few games. He disappeared under pressure and was indecisive.
While I understand this position, I don’t think it’s true for someone at Bouknight’s level.

Do you really think he’ll develop more playing one more year in college versus the pros? From a development standpoint, there’s a huge advantage to basketball being your full-time job.

Reaction Score
He was probably the least selfish star that I can recall. When things did not look good, I saw two and sometimes three defenders force him to make passes to teammates who were quite unable to get their own. He will not have this problem in the NBA. He does need to improve his long distance shooting though.

Reaction Score
If Bouk comes back, averages 25 a game and we get to the final 4, he still isn't going top 5 where the money gets substantially higher in rookie contracts. Juniors just don't get drafted that high any more. There is no point in staying.

Some of you are mind-bogglingly stupid.

Reaction Score
If Bouk comes back, averages 25 a game and we get to the final 4, he still isn't going top 5 where the money gets substantially higher in rookie contracts. Juniors just don't get drafted that high any more. There is no point in staying.

Some of you are mind-bogglingly stupid.
He already averaged 19 a game and is a projected lottery pick, there’s not much higher he can go. Some of these takes are driving me insane.

It’s almost like he will get better under NBA coaches/trainers/players????? IDK just a thought.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
In this thread people who haven’t watched a second of nba basketball and likely only watch UConn. Discuss what is needed to be drafted in the lottery…. As expect most of the fakes are stupid. Comparing the 2021 draft to 20 years ago, because nothing has changed.

Rip Hamilton isn’t a first round pick and definitely isn’t an NBA star in today’s NBA, with the game he had 20 years ago. You can’t compare the two eras they are completely different.

The NBA doesn’t want finished product players they want potential the more potential the higher you go in the draft.

Reaction Score
In this thread people who haven’t watched a second of nba basketball and likely only watch UConn. Discuss what is needed to be drafted in the lottery…. As expect most of the fakes are stupid. Comparing the 2021 draft to 20 years ago, because nothing has changed.

Rip Hamilton isn’t a first round pick and definitely isn’t an NBA star in today’s NBA, with the game he had 20 years ago. You can’t compare the two eras they are completely different.

The NBA doesn’t want finished product players they want potential the more potential the higher you go in the draft.
So you are implying that along w/Rip, Magic, Bird, MJ, Kareem and other NBA mega stars would not succeed in today's NBA.... THAT IMO is stupid.

Reaction Score
Let's clarify here:

I think the intention of the poster here in his defense is about this:

Yes. He needs another year.
No. He should and will not come back

He needs to get physically stronger, he needs to become more than an average shooter (45% for his career, 32% from deep). He needs to tighten up his handle. He loses the ball too frequently trying to make moves.

He needs to say yes to the NBA ready or not. He will be set for life, so regardless of where his game is at right now, there is only one option, take the money, because there is no risk in doing so, there is a risk not doing so.

Reaction Score
That was 22 years ago.

The entire 1999 draft (Rip's draft year) included two freshmen.

The NBA draft has changes so much since then.

View attachment 66122
That is a crazy graphic. It brings up two questions.

1. Is the NBA hurting or helping the quality of the game with this trend?
2. Are we slowly seeing the death of athletics in college?

Seriously, why are these kids in college? Shouldn't Bouk have just jumped straight into the G league? College shouldn't be an athletics minor league for any sport. Club sports are fine. But, maybe, we have come to the point where college students should be more focused on academics like they are in Europe.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
So you are implying that along w/Rip, Magic, Bird, MJ, Kareem and other NBA mega stars would not succeed in today's NBA.... THAT IMO is stupid.
You are equating rip to magic, bird Kareem? Lmao delete your account idiot.

Reaction Score

Yes NBA teams often choose potential & are looking for players with biggest UPside, but they do not categorically want unfinished products and want to pay them $5MM (#6 pick salary) a year to sit on the bench or in the G-league.

1. I'm not talking about Bouknight, he should & will enter the draft.

2. The NBA lottery changed drastically in 2019, it is theoretically possible that this ultimately changes the draft as better teams draft higher. In fact the change in the lottery is still not really accepted and we had a long 'yard debate earlier this year about what is an 'NBA lottery pick' - since now strictly speaking lottery only applies to picks 1-5.

3. Another key factoid if you follow the NBA closely is lots of team are trading multiple first-round picks. This is b/c of the changes in the lottery system and b/c teams have DEVALUED first round picks. As players get younger it is now recognized as more of a crapshoot = 1st round picks are less valuable. NBA teams would rather trade that option and spend $ for an established player (so again they don't really want unknown potential & some are trading this away in recognition of its diminished value).

Both sides of this debate tend to exaggerate their point-of-view b/c it is all subjective, it isn't a science. Of course Hamilton is a first-round pick regardless of if he leaves college as a frosh-senior, of course his playing style is a little different if playing today and of course in this era he would have come out after his sophomore year if not earlier. Even the current state/system doesn't necessarily preclude EVERY player from returning for a soph, junior or senior year. People (in all walks) have a lot of success going AGAINST conventional thinking, but often that is a harder path and isn't best for most.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom