Bouk is getting beat up pretty good | The Boneyard

Bouk is getting beat up pretty good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He has taken a hammering so far this season. He hits the floor a lot and it ain't because he's falling. He hurt his hand against Hartford and his leg against USC. He goes inside a lot, so you have to expect some physicality.

We saw something similar with Adams. For the pounding he took Adams didn't go to the line enough. There's a difference though, Adams was a genius at avoiding contact in the lane. That was the reason he didn't get to the line enough. Bouk is playing through contact and fouls should be called. But the refs have not shown any inclination to protect him. Which is odd because they call almost every ticky-tack foul by the Huskies.

I don't know how long Bouk can put up with being hammered every game. I'd like to see Hurley use some of that sideline energy to challenge the refs when Bouk is being dumped.

Reaction Score
He definitely was banged up by mid second half He was not active at all without the ball. He will heal and be the total star that he can be. Even banged up he was our leading scorer.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I was going to mention this also, it seems like every other time the camera shows a close up of Bouk, he's whincing. There are subtle things that happen when you're driving to the lane that aren't necessarily fouls but are incredibly painful. I just hope he doesn't start playing tentative as a result.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He has taken a hammering so far this season. He hits the floor a lot and it ain't because he's falling. He hurt his hand against Hartford and his leg against USC. He goes inside a lot, so you have to expect some physicality.

We saw something similar with Adams. For the pounding he took Adams didn't go to the line enough. There's a difference though, Adams was a genius at avoiding contact in the lane. That was the reason he didn't get to the line enough. Bouk is playing through contact and fouls should be called. But the refs have not shown any inclination to protect him. Which is odd because they call almost every ticky-tack foul by the Huskies.

I don't know how long Bouk can put up with being hammered every game. I'd like to see Hurley use some of that sideline energy to challenge the refs when Bouk is being dumped.

It's been a clear strategy against him in all three games. It throws him out of rhythm. I've been calling for us to do that to other people more often for years now. Not hands, hips. Torso collisions in the air. If your hands are clean the refs let a lot of that body contact go.

I griped about it with Adams, because he avoided it with his insane body control, which meant he had shots he couldn't then make. Go back and watch Rob Gray against UConn two years ago. I want Bouk watching how he plays to contact. Bring the ball down, shield it like a running back, take the body bump, then shoot.

Rob Gray "Unguardable" | Houston PG | 2017-18 Senior Highlights - YouTube

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We haven’t had a player who drives and gets the call since Bazz. He and Kemba lived at the line. It was incredibly frustrating watching Mobley take FT after FT for getting grazed while Bouk gets thrown around and nothing gets called

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Gotta love Bouknight relentlessly attacking the rim, but it is a dangerous game to play.. especially when the grind of the Big East schedule kicks in.

Reaction Score
Defenses will continue to do this in the hopes that Bouk will disappear during parts of the game.. Gotta work on a poker face vibe after getting hit.. Refs aren't buying the "You missed another call/I got hammered again" vibe.. Part of the process..Esp. true in BE play..

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It's been a clear strategy against him in all three games. It throws him out of rhythm. I've been calling for us to do that to other people more often for years now. Not hands, hips. Torso collisions in the air. If your hands are clean the refs let a lot of that body contact go.

I griped about it with Adams, because he avoided it with his insane body control, which meant he had shots he couldn't then make. Go back and watch Rob Gray against UConn two years ago. I want Bouk watching how he plays to contact. Bring the ball down, shield it like a running back, take the body bump, then shoot.

Rob Gray "Unguardable" | Houston PG | 2017-18 Senior Highlights - YouTube

Yup, that and a killer instinct are the only things keeping him from being NBA ready right now. I guess his defense at times, but he's shown the ability to be a decent defender in spots.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Gotta love Bouknight relentlessly attacking the rim, but it is a dangerous game to play.. especially when the grind of the Big East schedule kicks in.
He isn’t attacking the rim enough imo, he makes everything within 5 feet. The problem is when Polley isn’t in the game the spacing sucks, they play off Bouk, slip under screens, pack the lanes and the paint. Teams have decided they can live with his average 3pt shooting so that’s the shot they’re giving him he needs to make it. The problem with playing Polley is that he can’t defend, he has no lateral agility right now. Hurley is in a weird spot. Hopefully Martin can become a respectable 3 point shooter like in the 33 or 34% range that would solve a lot of problems.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
whining aboot refs and bouk are we now? watch game again and notice that the 2 debilitating whacks he suffered were on plays, the run in with jackson(?) and the crash with
whaley (?), that are byproducts of his energy and high iq uniqueness. that jackson (?) play would've sent a lesser human to the hospital with a dislocated shoulder. i do enjoy his rapt attention to the 'nba aspirations' lecture where they teach 'any contact, however minimal, requires copious wincing, slow movement, and hand rubbing of the injured area' to;
a) keep the camera on you, and
b) convince the opposition that you are broken.
dude is special, tough as nails, and a genius. they'll prolly try to encourage him a bit to hold off on the superman stuff when on d to cut down on the bangs and bruises.

Reaction Score
Bouk's lack of physicality is the biggest reason why he is nowhere near ready for the NBA, he will get absolutely abused by NBA players!

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
He better get used to it unless the BE has gone soft.

At least he ain't scared.
I don't think any basketball league "let's em play" anymore the way we remember the old Big East, but yeah, zone and beating up bouk seems to be the prevailing strategy against us

Reaction Score
Teams used to wreck Rip Hamilton when he entered the lane. Georgetown in particular would bang Rip hard when he was coming around a screen. Rip got blown up when the Huskies used to run the circle play against them.

Strap up, fellas - the Big East isn’t for the squeamish.

Bouknight will be getting the calls as the season progresses - he should be getting a minimum of 6ppg from the line. Coach Hurley will see to that.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
He definitely was banged up by mid second half He was not active at all without the ball. He will heal and be the total star that he can be. Even banged up he was our leading scorer.
Did you see Hurley shove Bouknight and Yell “Go”?
it was towards the end of the game while Bouknight was standing near Hurley as Uconn was setting up a play.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Did you see Hurley shove Bouknight and Yell “Go”?
it was towards the end of the game while Bouknight was standing near Hurley as Uconn was setting up a play.
I noticed that. I was wondering what he was doing walking out on the court. Lol

Reaction Score
Bouknight isn’t physical? Have you seen him crash the offensive glass!?
He is aggressive and he plays tough, but he is not ready to compete at the NBA level. He will get abused by the much more physical NBA players!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
You could say that he’s getting annihilated
1607124820327.png

Reaction Score
He is aggressive and he plays tough, but he is not ready to compete at the NBA level. He will get abused by the much more physical NBA players!
Don’t forget he’s only a sophomore, maybe 19-20 years old. He’s still going to fill out more. He put on about 10-15 lbs of muscle in the offseason so I’m sure he can put on another 10-15 next year if needed.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Seeing Bouk get beat up reminds me of guy who played for Red Auerbach. If someone took liberties with any of the Celtics before long they would have a collision with Jim Loscutof and all the physical stuff would stop. I nominate Adama as our designated Loscutof. Loscutof got 7 NBA rings out of the deal.

1607142412245.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog