bottom 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
three future big east teams? Sweet!

Reaction Score
Historic moment for UMass. We'll get to remind them forever.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I especially like the little touch of replacing Pitt's logo with the Pink Panther.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Maryland is due to be on there week 3. NC State week 2.
That is, unless getting beat by UConn is not considered a bad loss... by the end of the season it should be seen as a "good" loss!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I like that ESPN actually acknowledged that Pitt should be placed under both the Big East or ACC tag. Or as they stated, neither conference wanted them!

Reaction Score
Memphis still got 40,000 people for their game against Tennessee-Martin. Precisely why they were invited to the BE.

pj

Reaction Score
I like that ESPN actually acknowledged that Pitt should be placed under both the Big East or ACC tag. Or as they stated, neither conference wanted them!

Obviously, the ACC wants them more, since they invited Pitt most recently!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Memphis still got 40,000 people for their game against Tennessee-Martin. Precisely why they were invited to the BE.

That's certainly a good sign, but the real question is whether that same number will come out for week #2 after having lost to Tennessee-Martin...

Reaction Score
That's certainly a good sign, but the real question is whether that same number will come out for week #2 after having lost to Tennessee-Martin...
Memphis has had WFL, USFL and XFL teams before. They'll be fine. All about markets now. Look at freaking UTSA last season as a first year FCS program. San Antonio had WFL, USFL and CFL teams. People = money.

Reaction Score

That's difficult to believe. It would be more believable that UTM brought 40,000 fans with them.

Reaction Score
Memphis was a comically bad decision.

Marinatto's last 2 failures were Memphis and not getting Pitt & Cuse out this year. I'm joking about Pitt & Cuse of course. Kinda.

Reaction Score
1. Who is this Martin guy and why in the world did the State of Tennessee name a college after him?

2. I am still where I was last year on this: I think the first round of additions were as good as the Big East could do regarding the circumstances, but I still don't see how Memphis and Temple added value. Since (whatever you think of the former Commissioner) I still hold to my belief that the football schools aren't idiotic and didn't approve those additions for nothing, either (i) the media consultants see more money per team with Memphis and Temple in, or, in Memphis's case, there is a deal in the works regarding the Liberty Bowl, or (ii) despite the staging of the Big East additions, the additions of Temple and Memphis were a price that the basketball schools required to add UCF, SMU and Houston.

Enough rationality. I still say "yuch."

Reaction Score
I think the additions of Memphis and Temple may have in part been made in anticipation of another round of defections. The Big East was being proactive and buying insurance. Just a thought.

pj

Reaction Score
I think the additions of Memphis and Temple may have in part been made in anticipation of another round of defections. The Big East was being proactive and buying insurance. Just a thought.

They needed 12 teams for a championship game. They needed big TV markets. As someone noted, Tennessee and Philadelphia are big Comcast markets, and the local Comcast audiences enhance attractiveness to NBC/Comcast. If BYU and Air Force had agreed to come, then they could have avoided inviting Temple and Memphis, but they had to be able to guarantee 12 teams before TV negotiations started.

Reaction Score
1. Who is this Martin guy and why in the world did the State of Tennessee name a college after him?

Martin is, believe it or not, the city the college is in. The city's still named after some guy named Martin, though.

Reaction Score
That's difficult to believe. It would be more believable that UTM brought 40,000 fans with them.

It was OVER 39,000 - to be accurate.

But, it was even more impressive (and I know you were questioning their turnstyles) ... it was that many. And, they WAITED over 2 1/2 hours for the game to start. Endured over 270 Lightning strikes nearby & the bands were kept off the field at half-time. And ... longtime Fans of Memphis football were emotional how truly professional the University made this first game. (well ... they have a new state-of-the-art Scoreboard at the Liberty Bowl)

I don't know if Memphis will be competitive. Temple either. But, they have the intravenous fluid cranked into their arm now. I am beginning to think that Comcast really pushed this (and FedEx played a role/made promises). But ... they are in. And, it is not simply that Mike Tranghese earned consulting fees getting them to that point & Rick Pitino wanted them. There was some compelling reason they got votes.

Reaction Score
definitely enjoyed the fact that we were the only ones to blank a D1 school. 59 yrds is bananas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom