BOT To Approve New Recreation Center In November | The Boneyard

BOT To Approve New Recreation Center In November

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
X-Lot, damn. If the school could have returned all of the beer cans and bottles left over the years, this thing would already be paid for.

Ha!!! I was thinking the same thing! Good times...

Reaction Score
I got wacked pretty good by an airborn bottle during 1993 spring weekend treating a pt with a head injury from another airborn bottle. Worked many a spring weekend (and 1 NCAA basketball championship) up at UCONN during my 8 years as a Willimantic fireman. Always an adventure..NEVER a dull moment! X Lot was the scene of some crazy times!
On a serious note I wonder what becomes of the field house now.

Reaction Score
I fondly remember several X-Lot parties in the Spring or spill over crowd from Brick House (name?) next door in the fall. Never saw the crowd get too bad the first few years when the police would just stand around the outside and pull out anyone who was acting like an arse, which was fine by me. The crowds got rough later on ('95/'96) when the police tried to actively break-up the parties. Never understood that.

As for the Fieldhouse, I am sure it is staying. First, a lot of the Athletic department offices are there. Second, the student population is up by over 25% since I went there and there has been no expansion of the non-sport recreation facilities (thanks again Hathaway). Both will be well used.

Reaction Score
I fondly remember several X-Lot parties in the Spring or spill over crowd from Brick House (name?) next door in the fall. Never saw the crowd get too bad the first few years when the police would just stand around the outside and pull out anyone who was acting like an arse, which was fine by me. The crowds got rough later on ('95/'96) when the police tried to actively break-up the parties. Never understood that.

I remember the cops in full riot gear breaking up a party there 95/96. There was no riot until they decided we had enough fun for the night. I left before it got ugly.

Reaction Score
I don’t remember the riot police at X lot that year; but, I do remember them in the South Campus (after old South was torn down and before new south was built). I was on the small hill between Alumni and old South and we could see the riot police lining-up at EO Smith’s football field. Found another place drink beer at that point.

I was also there for the infamous snowball war between Frats and the Jungle that caused +20K in damage to both dorms due to the heavy wet snow in 92/93. I was in the middle of that until I saw the first chair thrown throw a window and decided that was it.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
1997 spring weekend carriage house 17 - we had about 15 kegs for spring weekend, band, TV camera crews rolling in to interview people at around 6 or 7pm before the action started. I think the cops maced the place that year - or it might have been 98. Ahhh, good times.

Reaction Score
Could not find an answer if this will replace the current complex or will it be in addition to?
I suspect the old facility will remain since the new facility will not include an indoor track for the track and field teams. The new facility cannot be utilized by varsity sports.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Could not find an answer if this will replace the current complex or will it be in addition to?
I suspect the old facility will remain since the new facility will not include an indoor track for the track and field teams. The new facility cannot be utilized by varsity sports.
I read somewhere that the current facility would be opened up for re-development... just my thought, but new hockey arena?

I saw a plan for the new facility that contained an indoor track though... but I did also read that it would be used for varsity sports. Maybe the track team can use the Shenkman indoor track -- they have an indoor track there, I believe???

Reaction Score
I read somewhere that the current facility would be opened up for re-development... just my thought, but new hockey arena?

I saw a plan for the new facility that contained an indoor track though... but I did also read that it would be used for varsity sports. Maybe the track team can use the Shenkman indoor track -- they have an indoor track there, I believe???
The new facility will have only have a jogging track. Shenkman does not have a indoor track. I suspect Guyer gym and the current rec pool will be redeveloped.

Reaction Score
Interesting, I also read somewhere that UConn would make an announcement in the spring about the future of an ice rink on campus.
I am all for a new, basketball/hockey combined arena on campus to replace Gampel that would hold around 12,000 for basketball. The new basketball practice facility and the current ice rink can be used for practice venues. The XL can be used as a TEMPORARY home for all 3 teams while the new area is built. I doubt it is economically or logistically feasible to re-configure Gampel for such as there is classroom space under the arena and the varsity pool also juts into the north corner. Gampel’s current location would be ideal; but, UConn would likely need a new varsity pool, too. Building the area in the Storrs Center are could also be viable as it would create an ‘entertainment district’ in Storrs that is walkable for most student, though I am not sure the locals would like that idea (they already shot down building a hotel in Storrs Center, which is needed).

Reaction Score
I like the idea of an entertainment district being created in storrs center.

Reaction Score
X-Lot, damn. If the school could have returned all of the beer cans and bottles left over the years, this thing would already be paid for.

It's a little bit sad to think that no current Huskies (class of 2014+) have experienced the madness that is Spring Weekend since it was shut down after 2010 :(

Reaction Score
It's a little bit sad to think that no current Huskies (class of 2014+) have experienced the madness that is Spring Weekend since it was shut down after 2010 :(

I make it to campus about once a year to co-host a class for the business school (somebody is crazy enough to believe I am an experienced and successful professional, :rolleyes:). From what I have heard/seen, Spring weekend is truly no more. Of course, the problem with Spring weekend was never the UConn students (who wants to get expelled the weekend before finals after all of that work?), it was the high school students (my Mom would have laughed if I ever asked her to drive up to Storrs in high school for Spring weekend, whose parents are that insane?) and others who caused a massive majority of the trouble.

Reaction Score
I make it to campus about once a year to co-host a class for the business school (somebody is crazy enough to believe I am an experienced and successful professional, :rolleyes:). From what I have heard/seen, Spring weekend is truly no more. Of course, the problem with Spring weekend was never the UConn students (who wants to get expelled the weekend before finals after all of that work?), it was the high school students (my Mom would have laughed if I ever asked her to drive up to Storrs in high school for Spring weekend, whose parents are that insane?) and others who caused a massive majority of the trouble.

I agree, there were way too many non-UConn students causing their fair share of problems. When I was a Junior in 2010 there was an assault related death among other issues which I believe is the reason they shut it down in 2011 and beyond.
It makes sense why the school would want to nix it, but Spring Weekend really was some of the best times I'll never remember!

Reaction Score
I agree, there were way too many non-UConn students causing their fair share of problems. When I was a Junior in 2010 there was an assault related death among other issues which I believe is the reason they shut it down in 2011 and beyond.
It makes sense why the school would want to nix it, but Spring Weekend really was some of the best times I'll never remember!

Too bad you missed the old UConn Yale football games down at the Yale Bowl. I went to two and never actually made it inside the Bowl. UConn frats would drive down with U-Haul’s filled with kegs. To this day, I still have no idea how I made it back to Storrs from New Haven my Junior year other than a vague memory of stopping in Hartford and going to a bar.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
There is no more spring weekend. The past two years the campus has basically become a police state during the weekend it is supposed to take place. Police stopping cars in and out of campus no outside guests allowed its actually pretty crazy. They're working to make it "better" this year so we'll see what happens.

Also I think an entertainment district in Storrs Center would be absolutely awesome. Mansfield needs to wake up and smell the $ (and join the 21st century while they're at it)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak