Boston Bullies Brink, Belibi | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boston Bullies Brink, Belibi

Reaction Score
I didn't agree with Boston's rationale on choosing S.C.--it offered the best path to the WNBA--but she does seem like a nice person.
That was the reason? Odd.

With the example so many great UConn centers? Particularly Dolson, who arrived at UConn as, hopefully, a role player and ended up (through great coaching and effort on her part) an All American. And, the unrivaled success that UConn has had concerning the WNBA.

She is going to do fine. But it would be an interesting case study as to why some players do not choose UConn or leave suddenly upon arrival.

Clark had a very understandable and positive reason.

Reaction Score
Please everyone do not overlook AZ. This is a one and done scenario and anything can happen as we've all seen through history of college basketball tournaments. Lets not talk about the Finals until we actually get there.
But, I hope your handle is not an example of how you choose passcodes.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
is the reason we will play SC in the Championship game (I am making the big assumption that we beat AZ). I don't think Stanford has anyone that can cope with Boston inside. Brink, while talented, doesn't have the strength to cope with Boston. Perhaps the best matchup overall might be Prechtel as she at least has the shooting range to pull Boston away from the basket on the Stanford offensive end.
Giving Boston too much credit, while her recent games have been good she will have a very hard time putting the team on her back. For SC to win their pesky point guard has to have a killer night. I don't think SC has enough all around team strength to beat Stanford.

Reaction Score
It probably comes down to coaching. Dawn and Tara are both very good. Tara has just been doing it a lot longer. Stanford by 7.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Although Boston is surely much stronger than Brink, I think the match-up is a bit more complicated than this. For one thing, Brink is deceptively strong; she is also very quick. And Brink, who is very fast basket to basket, may, in effect, run Boston into the ground if she attempts to keep up. (And, if she doesn't, that likely means some easy baskets for Stanford.) Whether Brink can stay out of foul trouble is an open question, but Tara also has Belibi and Prechtel as backups, and, as you point out, the latter especially will pose some challenges for Boston given her shooting from beyond the 3-point line (the Louisville game was not an outlier). (Brink can shoot from there as well.) So positives and negatives on both sides.
Bilibi hasn't made a three all year (only taken 1), Prechtel until her 3-3 last night was shooting .346 from 3 having taken 52 total, and Brink is at .379 having taken only 29 all season. Not sure having those three taking a lot of threes is a surefire winning strategy - maybe it works or maybe like Brink last night it is brick city.

It was clear last night that Louisville didn't have the size or will to control the boards, I think SC can do better. If they can keep Stanford to shooting 40% and not give up a ton of O boards they have a chance - otherwise Stanford will win

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Please everyone do not overlook AZ. This is a one and done scenario and anything can happen as we've all seen through history of college basketball tournaments. Lets not talk about the Finals until we actually get there.
You are right of course. I'm just running scenarios. No disrespect intended.

Reaction Score
I’d guess that Geno is impressing on the team that if they have a “lapse”, abandoning the movement on offense (as admitted by players in post game pressers), they’ll be sitting in the stands with SC ( my guess) watching the finals. They admitted that this is the reason they found themselves trailing the 2nd half.
Of course, he’ll phrase it in ways that will are way above my pay grade.
I trust his abilities as well as their dedication.
IT IS RIGHT THERE FOR THEM.

Reaction Score
Although Boston is surely much stronger than Brink, I think the match-up is a bit more complicated than this. For one thing, Brink is deceptively strong; she is also very quick. And Brink, who is very fast basket to basket, may, in effect, run Boston into the ground if she attempts to keep up. (And, if she doesn't, that likely means some easy baskets for Stanford.) Whether Brink can stay out of foul trouble is an open question, but Tara also has Belibi and Prechtel as backups, and, as you point out, the latter especially will pose some challenges for Boston given her shooting from beyond the 3-point line (the Louisville game was not an outlier). (Brink can shoot from there as well.) So positives and negatives on both sides.

I think Belibi, who knows Boston well from practice, and Prechtel look like better defensive matchups than Brink.

If it is Brink v Boston I would expect both teams to go right to that matchup on offense to try and get quick whistles.

I think South Carolina's strength might be an advantage, but that remains to be seen.

Stanford's depth and length and range might well be the difference.

Reaction Score
is the reason we will play SC in the Championship game (I am making the big assumption that we beat AZ). I don't think Stanford has anyone that can cope with Boston inside. Brink, while talented, doesn't have the strength to cope with Boston. Perhaps the best matchup overall might be Prechtel as she at least has the shooting range to pull Boston away from the basket on the Stanford offensive end.
Wild prediction based on overreaction to the "UConn foul" is that Boston will be in constant foul trouble and combined with her getting gassed easily, only plays half of the game. Every pick she sets is a moving pick - refs call two quick fouls on her, leading to significant bench time.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A like for the header.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Bilibi hasn't made a three all year (only taken 1), Prechtel until her 3-3 last night was shooting .346 from 3 having taken 52 total, and Brink is at .379 having taken only 29 all season. Not sure having those three taking a lot of threes is a surefire winning strategy - maybe it works or maybe like Brink last night it is brick city.

It was clear last night that Louisville didn't have the size or will to control the boards, I think SC can do better. If they can keep Stanford to shooting 40% and not give up a ton of O boards they have a chance - otherwise Stanford will win
I was speaking to Prechtel's shooting from 3, and not necessarily Brink's. I also didn't intend to suggest that Belibi is a threat from 3, or anywhere not close to the basket. In any case, if Brink's misses during the Louisville game are included in her total, shouldn't Prechtel's makes be included as well? That brings Prechtel's current number to .382 (21/55) and Brink's, as you say, to .379 (11/29). The attempts are, at least in part, a function of minutes played (Brink averages 18.3, Prechtel 13.5), and so perhaps a bit misleading. However, they do suggest that Prechtel shoots and makes a fair number of threes when she is on the court. And the numbers could obviously go up or down in any given game. But, in my view, both percentages are certainly respectable, and better, I believe, than the 3-point percentage of any UCONN player whose first name isn't Paige.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think Belibi, who knows Boston well from practice, and Prechtel look like better defensive matchups than Brink.
Strongly disagree. Belibi just ins't tall enough, she wouldn't be able to do much w/ Boston. Prechtel gets some blocks, but Brink is a shot blocking machine. And I know, everybody looks at her and thinks she's skinny so she must be a pushover. She's not. She's done just fine guarding post players who are bulkier than Boston this year.

Reaction Score
I think Stanford is the better team and I think Boston is a bit overrated. But...I want SC and Boston in the final. I just want Boston to see what she is missing. I think we play them much better this time around than the first time. SC does not close the gap and win, we widen the gap and win by double digits.

Yes I fully expect Uconn to crush Arizona and play for title number 12!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I was speaking to Prechtel's shooting from 3, and not necessarily Brink's. I also didn't intend to suggest that Belibi is a threat from 3, or anywhere not close to the basket. In any case, if Brink's misses during the Louisville game are included in her total, shouldn't Prechtel's makes be included as well? That brings Prechtel's current number to .382 (21/55) and Brink's, as you say, to .379 (11/29). The attempts are, at least in part, a function of minutes played (Brink averages 18.3, Prechtel 13.5), and so perhaps a bit misleading. However, they do suggest that Prechtel shoots and makes a fair number of threes when she is on the court. And the numbers could obviously go up or down in any given game. But, in my view, both percentages are certainly respectable, and better, I believe, than the 3-point percentage of any UCONN player whose first name isn't Paige.
It's weird, Lauren Cox from Baylor was credited as being a threat from 3. She made 38 for her career, never more than 15 in a season, and hit .322 during her 4 years. Stanford has 2 post players that can step out and him them often enough that opponents have to guard them.

Reaction Score
Strongly disagree. Belibi just ins't tall enough, she wouldn't be able to do much w/ Boston. Prechtel gets some blocks, but Brink is a shot blocking machine. And I know, everybody looks at her and thinks she's skinny so she must be a pushover. She's not. She's done just fine guarding post players who are bulkier than Boston this year.
Belibi has probably spent 10,000 hours defending her and is considerably stronger.

I haven't watched most of Stanfords games, so I'm going to need to see some credits for the number of talented post players Brink has faced that are bigger or bulkier than Boston.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Boston is the 2nd best player in college, behind Paige - period. Many are not happy with Dawn's "coaching" this year. Boston should have been much better.

Reaction Score
Boston is the 2nd best player in college, behind Paige - period. Many are not happy with Dawn's "coaching" this year. Boston should have been much better.

"Many people are saying?"

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think Brink can hold her own if she doesn't get into foul trouble. She's not built like a linebacker but she's a pretty physical player and has length that matches Boston. Boston is very strong but doesn't bulldoze players over or seek out contact the same way a lot of physical posts do so I think the combination of Brink, Prechtel and Belibi do fine.

Reaction Score
....and then they play "Sweet Caroline" at the end of the 3rd Period......

Reaction Score
And yet you insist on your position.

I've seen Belibi play a lot. I've seen Brink play a little.

I'm open to being persuaded.

Separate, but related question aimed at increasing my general knowledge of Women's college basketball.

Who are all these bigger and bulkier posts than Boston that Brink has been dominating out west?

Reaction Score
Brink was taken to locker room last night for what the announcers said was a leg injury. Once she returned to the game she had athletic tape on the back of one leg which probably indicates a hamstring. This could impact her mobility.
Excellent observations!

Reaction Score
Boston may be stronger than the Stanford bigs, but they are much faster and in much better condition. In a transition game, Boston really struggles to get up and down the floor over a long period. The fact that Stanford has three centers to run at her makes it even more difficult. Having said that, guard play wins championships. Stanford’s are a senior and a grad student.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom