Boren says Big 12 expansion decision should come this summer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boren says Big 12 expansion decision should come this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The ACC is not getting raided.

I will say that I think we are getting our answer on whether the ACC still wants UConn. Boren is all but putting our name on the Big 12 website, and there is not so much as a sniff from the ACC that I am aware of. They do move quietly, but it has been months and the ACC is about to lose UConn forever. If they cared, you would think something would be happening by now, or at least very soon.

Reaction Score
The UConn market is easy...2 dma's cover the state (NYC, Hartford/New Haven). They both need to be included.
How are the ratings split in the NYC market? That is the biggest unanswered question to me and if the consultants have already decided that for FB, the NYC market is 85% B1G and ND and 15% split between Cuse and Uconn, is it enough? If it was that easy, Uconn would not still be on the outside looking in.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Haha, trust me I'd be more than happy to join the conference. I just thought it was kind of a funny thing to read--the first thing that I think of when I hear the words 'Big XII academics' is the scholars down at WVU

Which is why UConn, and not Memphis, USF or UCF is likely to get an invite.

Reaction Score

I will say that I think we are getting our answer on whether the ACC still wants UConn. Boren is all but putting our name on the Big 12 website, and there is not so much as a sniff from the ACC that I am aware of. They do move quietly, but it has been months and the ACC is about to lose UConn forever. If they cared, you would think something would be happening by now, or at least very soon.

Fine by me. I'd love to be in a conference with the NC schools but who cares about the rest. Being in a conference with TX and OK - now, that would be something.

Reaction Score

What answer? You are assuming that UConn wants the ACC. It could very well be that that ACC does want UConn but we simply have better options.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Houston or UCF/USF fits their "academic profile" better than UConn. Not that that's something to be proud of.

Reaction Score
How are the ratings split in the NYC market? That is the biggest unanswered question to me and if the consultants have already decided that for FB, the NYC market is 85% B1G and ND and 15% split between Cuse and Uconn, is it enough? If it was that easy, Uconn would not still be on the outside looking in.
I'll tell you this..I live in the NYC dma and Cuse isn't a factor here. Unless they are on ESPN for hoops or football they don't make any impact here or are they talked about. The BIG factor in the NYC dma for UConn is their SNY ratings. As for the percentages..RU had the same questions. The B1G took RU because they were #1 AAU and #1A they were in the NYC dma which puts eyeballs on TV sets for their network. The ACC has no network so that answers your question.

Reaction Score
We're looking at all that. In terms of the network and those dollars, we're looking with our TV consultants to tell us.”

Are these the same consultants that advised the other conferences when they expanded? Who are they and what are they defining as Uconn's market and how does that look against all other potential expansion candidates?

From a market perspective, the Big Ten picking both RU and Maryland over us made total sense. The ACC's expansions have not been market driven in the same sense. The first one was to strengthen ACC football. The second was to kill the Big East. The third (Louisville) was backfill. If the networks had been driving the ACC, it would have been Syracuse and UConn instead of Pitt, and it would have been UConn instead of Louisville, but in each case the analysis being done by the ACC office was overruled by specific schools which had specific agendas.

Reaction Score
That didn't take long. So much for BigXII presidents keeping quiet and letting Bowlsby do all the talking for the conference.

If Bowlsby is talking this openly about realignment I'd have to believe that it is a done deal at this point. JMO but I'd say Cincy is definitely #11, and you guys are definitely looking good as a possible #12. That said this is the Big 12, so who the hell knows what they'll place value on.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I hope upon hope that the B12 just goofed, giving the B10 the opportunity to undercut them and expand.

Reaction Score
If Bowlsby is talking this openly about realignment I'd have to believe that it is a done deal at this point. JMO but I'd say Cincy is definitely #11, and you guys are definitely looking good as a possible #12. That said this is the Big 12, so who the hell knows what they'll place value on.

If realignment was a done deal, why would Boren be tipping his hand before the newcomers were signed to the GOR?

Reaction Score

Please explain to the class why ratings matter?

Reaction Score

That non-move by the ACC is certainly puzzling ,if our inclusion is true. Cuse and BC become marginlized.
The only possible explaination is the ACC expects the B12 to fail and by then UConn either has proved itself worthy as a football school or not.If we fail it will be over.
If UConn is successful in the B12(competative) I would think the ACC would lose to the B1G in that event.

Reaction Score
That non-move by the ACC is certainly puzzling ,if our inclusion is true. Cuse and BC become marginlized.
The only possible explaination is the ACC expects the B12 to fail and by then UConn either has proved itself worthy as a football school or not.If we fail it will be over.
If UConn is successful in the B12(competative) I would think the ACC would lose to the B1G in that event.

They either don't believe the Big 12 will take us or they think so little of us that they don't consider us a threat.

Given how they've treated us in the past, I think either explanation is plausible.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
nbcsports.com: Expand or not to expand?

As for potential expansion candidates, the data shows there are a handful of possibilities — or the usual suspects as some would label them. In addition to Cincinnati, Boise State, BYU, UConn, UCF and USF have been mentioned to varying degrees as fits for an expanded Big 12. Houston would seemingly be an ideal candidate as well, although there would likely be pushback from the state of Texas contingent in the league.

A geographic partner for one of the new members of the league, West Virginia, would seem to be at or near the top of any potential expansion to-do list. It’s also rumored that the league would want to expand further to the west and toward the Pac-12’s territory.

At some point before the 2016 season kicks off — officials will meet again in May after failing to reach a consensus at meetings earlier this month — the conference will answer those questions and decide to expand or not to expand. Here’s to guessing it’ll be the former, and BYU and Cincinnati will be very pleased with the direction the conference takes.

Eek...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I fully understand rule #1, but this has to be good for UConn, right?

“I think people are being very sincere about trying to look at the figures and the facts,” Boren said. “Not be emotional about it or ‘I want this school' or ‘I want that.'

“Well, what are their academics? What's their research base? How well do they fit our academic profile? How well do they fit our fan base profile? How many dollars in their market do they bring to the table? We're looking at all that. In terms of the network and those dollars, we're looking with our TV consultants to tell us.”
Holy moley I like the sound of that.

That said, we're doomed.

Reaction Score
B12 should make a deal with the ACC to get UL and then ACC can take UConn. WIth all the UL scandals and the fact that their football is not as strong as envisioned, ACC probably wouldn't mind disposing them

Reaction Score
B12 should make a deal with the ACC to get UL and then ACC can take UConn. WIth all the UL scandals and the fact that their football is not as strong as envisioned, ACC probably wouldn't mind disposing them
You think UL would go for that? I doubt it. I still see them as more of a basketball school, and its hard to give up games against Duke and North Carolina in BB. Yes FB drives the bus, but ACC FB is arguably better than the Big 12.

Reaction Score
What answer? You are assuming that UConn wants the ACC. It could very well be that that ACC does want UConn but we simply have better options.

Exactly! Do we want to be part of a conference that was driven to exclude us from expansion for petty and self-centered reasons? I say NO! I do recognize that the B1G would be the ideal situation, but I don't see it happening as Delany still has to cope with the Jersey dumpster fire. Sure if we were without any other option for a P5 spot, the ACC would be great, but now I prefer the Big 12 to the ACC. I see long term problems with the ACC and don't want to have to scramble again in a few years with the likes of BC and Syracuse.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Exactly! Do we want to be part of a conference that was driven to exclude us from expansion for petty and self-centered reasons? I say NO! I do recognize that the B1G would be the ideal situation, but I don't see it happening as Delany still has to cope with the Jersey dumpster fire. Sure if we were without any other option for a P5 spot, the ACC would be great, but now I prefer the Big 12 to the ACC. I see long term problems with the ACC and don't want to have to scramble again in a few years with the likes of BC and Syracuse.

Either one is fine to me, but I think it is a reasonable argument that the Big XII is on par in basketball (better this year) and is better in football. I think the ACC is simply unable to come up with more money to expand in the absence of a network.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You think UL would go for that? I doubt it. I still see them as more of a basketball school, and its hard to give up games against Duke and North Carolina in BB. Yes FB drives the bus, but ACC FB is arguably better than the Big 12.
If B12 money > ACC money... They'd at least consider it.

Reaction Score
The one issue that can't be overlooked is this...Bronco Mendenhall left a lifetime job at BYU to go to UVA. If he thought BYU was heading to the B-12 there is no way he leaves Provo.
Like everyone else, BYU won't know until they are invited. If you're Bronco, and UVA offered big life changing money I believe, do you pass that up "just in case BYU gets invited" to the Big 12. I don't think you can do that and clearly he didn't think it.

Is it possible BYU was told were going East not West IF we expand? I suppose so.

Reaction Score
If B12 money > ACC money... They'd at least consider it.
I agree, but there is a perception that the Big 12 exists at the whims of Texas. The ACC at least has some sort of semblance of stability. I don't know if the money difference is so great to risk the stability of instability sorta speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom