Boren on video | The Boneyard

Boren on video

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If you read yesterday's comments in print / pixels (i.e. key tweets thread ... plug plug keytweets.wordpress.com...), now you can hear the sound of his voice and see his facial expressions along with reading his comments about prospective additions and lack of a B12 network via Tulsa World:

Reaction Score
"Each school is losing an additional $4, $5, or $6MM per year by not having a B12N."

As others have said, he's setting up his arguments for down the road...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I guess I should have tacked this onto FDNY's tulsaworld thread. Mods, feel free to delete or merge.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My concern is that Boren is setting up expansion as something to trade in return for folding the LHN into a B12N.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
My concern is that Boren is setting up expansion as something to trade in return for folding the LHN into a B12N.

Could be the case. But even if it is, they can't launch a B12N with 10 members and a very limited footprint. FOX nor ESPN/Disney will shell out that kind of cash to broadcast games in a handful of states. They still would need to expand into big markets and increase their footprint substantially.

Reaction Score
If Texas agrees with Boren to fold the LHN into the B12 network then expansion will occur. It may take a year or 2 but eventually the B12 will realize they need to market into more populated demographics. At that point the B12 network needs cable boxes in areas they current do not possess and UConn can deliver those numbers.

UConn is less valuable to the B12 when there is not a network. If there was a B12 network and a team paid for itself (through new cable subscriptions) they would be added. We can call this the Rutger's rule.

Either way, the first step to any B12 expansion is to address the LHN and a future B12 network. Boren has thought this through and this is why he is currently beating the B12 network drum.

If the B12 cannot agree to create a B12 network they likely will not expand not will they exist as a conference in a few years.

Reaction Score
I remember writi g about this a while ago. A good question is how motivated espn is to restructure the long horn network contract, and what kind of leverage it would take to get texas to the table and start the restructuring talks.

Something has to motivate Texas to want to engage in a change.

Since ESPN is in our backyard, and a major corporate entity in CT, you would hope that we've got connections inside the Bristol 'campus'. If not, at least some moles. :)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Could be the case. But even if it is, they can't launch a B12N with 10 members and a very limited footprint. FOX nor ESPN/Disney will shell out that kind of cash to broadcast games in a handful of states. They still would need to expand into big markets and increase their footprint substantially.

I tend to agree with you, but there will be horsetrading. I hope we aren't one of the horses that is sent to the glue factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom