Boneyard history | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boneyard history

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anyone that expects to win a men’s board trial hasn’t been paying attention
It was sarcasm. I really need to use emoji ….. ;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Anyone that expects to win a men’s board trial hasn’t been paying attention
But choosing a Duke lawyer at your trial was probably the final nail for the men's board! I thought you were smarter than that Nan. :eek:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I will add that Brett Rabideau had a mail list in the 90’s that many Boneyarders belonged to. If Tom and Fishy are the dads of the Boneyard, Brett may be the mom. I met lots of great people on that mail list and we had a Husky Road Crew that would load up a couple buses and travel to away games. Brett was my roomie when we went to Philly to see the men play Villanova in a day game (a win on a last second shot by Emeka Okafor) and the women play ‘nova on campus (a loss we won’t talk about).

Brett, Cathy, and I started Huskymaniacs vs Cancer where the board would donate $$ to the American Cancer Society for each three pointer made.

We were a lot more social back then….
That's where I started. Brett and I are friends and were dorm-mates. She ran it on her own server (she ran a small ISP). It still technically exists via Google, but is almost never used. I don't recall when I came here, but it was when the mail-list was still active.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Fun to revisit this again.

And maybe time for a board/moderator appreciation thread again before the season starts?

Reaction Score
I remember the social part of boneyard. One year we met at a bar/restaurant (I think it was in Hamden) to watch the women playing Tennessee. I also remember a golf outing at a golf course in Portland (Quarry Ridge), where I won a golf bag as a door prize. My wife is still using the bag. Those are my favorite memories of the Boneyard.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
How about when we were back in the AOL dial up days. It wasn't called the Boneyard then. I remember some guy named Henry who posted a lot.

Reaction Score
My recollection of the old Courant message board was actually not of the board itself but that back then (mid 90s) I had a low end computer and connected via a telephone modem. No one that used those modems will ever be able to forget the beeps and boops that led into getting a connection. Mmmmm, 4800 baud. Can't beat that technology!
You used the fast stuff huh---think sending telephone data on voice phone. Messages from Puerto Rico (PRT) to DC at 128/sec. Hours with repeat many times to get it sent--it took most of the night to get it received. The Telephone Radio communicating were better at night, CPM was the operating system. No DOS for a few years hence.

Reaction Score
I think his handle was Dogfather, but his name is Ken.

During UConn’s first title run, we had an ESPN bracket and every single person picked UConn except Ken who took Duke in hopes of winning a coupon for a free pizza from ESPN.
He paid for it at the original BYC. Drunk as a skunk.

KCD

Reaction Score
I’m posting this to continue our reminisces about the old days and to give more recent members a little history.

The below was posted about 2002 by, I think, @Fishy . For those who may not know, Fishy has been around forever and is my counterpart on the men’s board.

View attachment 71882
@HuskyNan, I just want to thank you for starting this thread and for all of the long-time Boneyarders to share your stories. There are a lot of great threads on here, but this is one of my favorites. I've been reading and enjoying the Boneyard since I found out about it's existence (I've been a Geno A fan and UConn BBall fan for decades) about five years ago. This is one of my favorite threads on here.

Reaction Score
Yes, it is true, I was there on the Courant board, all those years ago.

Reaction Score
The only thing I think is missing is that IIRC, we also squatted on the same space as some Georgetown forum at some point in the very early days. Am I misremembering that ?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Wow A lot of great memories. I remember Kibitzer introduced me to the Boneyard. We went to alot of games together and talked after every game. I remember hearing about the golf tournament but didnt play. I remember meeting with other Boneyarders for lunch at City Steam in Hartford before games. In those days there were about 20+ of us. We also met at half time at the Hartford Civic Center or as Kibitzer reminded us the Veterans Memorial Colosseum. We would meet at half time and discuss the game and possible recruits. Some old timers Wonster, Slewbopper, Kibitzer, doggydaddy, Cferraro, Philster, 4 on the tee, Cathy, Huskynan, Biff, JS, and some others. I remember other board The Summitt which when a UConn fan poster they were killed. The ESPN board where there was alot of information from fans of various teams. I remember when UConn was in the running for Maya Moore EDD and Caroline Doty and the Tenn fans thought they would get all 3 then they thought they would get 1 or 2 and then they all came to UConn. Thats when things got really really really nasty and bad.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wow A lot of great memories. I remember Kibitzer introduced me to the Boneyard. We went to alot of games together and talked after every game. I remember hearing about the golf tournament but didnt play. I remember meeting with other Boneyarders for lunch at City Steam in Hartford before games. In those days there were about 20+ of us. We also met at half time at the Hartford Civic Center or as Kibitzer reminded us the Veterans Memorial Colosseum. We would meet at half time and discuss the game and possible recruits. Some old timers Wonster, Slewbopper, Kibitzer, doggydaddy, Cferraro, Philster, 4 on the tee, Cathy, Huskynan, Biff, JS, and some others. I remember other board The Summitt which when a UConn fan poster they were killed. The ESPN board where there was alot of information from fans of various teams. I remember when UConn was in the running for Maya Moore EDD and Caroline Doty and the Tenn fans thought they would get all 3 then they thought they would get 1 or 2 and then they all came to UConn. Thats when things got really really really nasty and bad.
20265A0D-608F-41C6-97E4-D33ADBC92B3C.jpeg

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Nan: do you recall the name of a visitor from LadyVol land? I think she was a librarian
at the university and seemed to have great access to the program...went to lots of
practices with permission from Pat. She compiled some sort of recruiting site...not just for LadyVol prospects but a national one...mostly elite type players.

She posted here quite often and at least on our board seemed to be a rational and basically polite LadyVol fan.
Anyone remember her? Maybe around 2005...five years or so before and after?

Reaction Score
I will add that Brett Rabideau had a mail list in the 90’s that many Boneyarders belonged to. If Tom and Fishy are the dads of the Boneyard, Brett may be the mom. I met lots of great people on that mail list and we had a Husky Road Crew that would load up a couple buses and travel to away games. Brett was my roomie when we went to Philly to see the men play Villanova in a day game (a win on a last second shot by Emeka Okafor) and the women play ‘nova on campus (a loss we won’t talk about).

Brett, Cathy, and I started Huskymaniacs vs Cancer where the board would donate $$ to the American Cancer Society for each three pointer made.

We were a lot more social back then….
I was in Philly with a group of friends for these games also. As I stated in a post before I was a lurker for a long time and remember all the moves over the years from one board to another.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan: do you recall the name of a visitor from LadyVol land? I think she was a librarian
at the university and seemed to have great access to the program...went to lots of
practices with permission from Pat. She compiled some sort of recruiting site...not just for LadyVol prospects but a national one...mostly elite type players.

She posted here quite often and at least on our board seemed to be a rational and basically polite LadyVol fan.
Anyone remember her? Maybe around 2005...five years or so before and after?
Sibyl. I lost touch with her when I took down my recruiting site

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was in Philly with a group of friends for these games also. As I stated in a post before I was a lurker for a long time and remember all the moves over the years from one board to another.
Yeah, Philly. Disgruntled Villanova fans threw empty beer bottles at our busses

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My recollection of the old Courant message board was actually not of the board itself but that back then (mid 90s) I had a low end computer and connected via a telephone modem. No one that used those modems will ever be able to forget the beeps and boops that led into getting a connection. Mmmmm, 4800 baud. Can't beat that technology!
I remember those days well. That's how I broke into the golden age of computing. My first computer was a cheap Radio Shack computer that DID NOT have a hard drive. It came with 4 BIG floppy disks. The internet was in its infancy. I remember logging on the internet via telephone line connection.

S-l-o-w does not describe the speed of my connections back in those days. :confused: When I upgraded that PC with an internal hard drive, I thought I was now on the cutting edge of modern tecnology and ready for the world. No more floppy disks for me. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yeah, Philly. Disgruntled Villanova fans threw empty beer bottles at our busses
Philly fans. Fans that would BOO Santa Claus :mad: are subject to do anything. They were not that far gone though, they emptied those beer bottles first. ;) Interesting. I don't remember reading or hearing about UConn fans throwing anything at fans of oppossing teams or their modes of transportation. :rolleyes: Did I miss something?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
But choosing a Duke lawyer at your trial was probably the final nail for the men's board! I thought you were smarter than that Nan. :eek:
I think it was a smart move. If you're already convicted pre trial why not give the jury a single digit salute?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I remember Slewbopper from way back on the AOL message boards and later o the ESPN board. He posted using a buch of different screen names. He might hold the record for the most message board bannings. He passed away at a young age several years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom