Boise Says 'i Do'... | The Boneyard

Boise Says 'i Do'...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Their board votes to put the wheels in motion to join the Big East. A rep from the U. of Idaho tried to playa-hate, but was overruled.

The BSU prez had some interesting comments:

* The Big East is talking to a couple more western schools to help keep BSU's travel costs down. BYU maybe?
* As of today, Air Force isn't fully on board yet.
* The WAC will take another huge hit as CUSA backfills to replace UH, SMU and UCF.

Yay. Where's my confetti?...

Reaction Score
Their board votes to put the wheels in motion to join the Big East. A rep from the U. of Idaho tried to playa-hate, but was overruled.

The BSU prez had some interesting comments:

* The Big East is talking to a couple more western schools to help keep BSU's travel costs down. BYU maybe?
* As of today, Air Force isn't fully on board yet.
* The WAC will take another huge hit as CUSA backfills to replace UH, SMU and UCF.

Yay. Where's my confetti?...
Great news. But source?

Reaction Score
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/bois...sts-proposed-new-western-division-attractive/

Says the Big East is in talks with 2 more western schools in addition to SMU, Houston, and Air Force. We probably should assume that one is BYU but I wonder who the other is. Could be Memphis since they've been mentioned but a football school probably wouldn't find them that attractive. I think it's Nevada because it would be a good state to expand to but San Diego State recently announced publicly that they want to join so who knows.

Reaction Score

I've wondered about that. Now the CUSA and MtnWest have that football deal, it's not clear that either would need to fully restock membership. If all teams mentioned move to the BE, CU would have 9 and MW would have 7 (+ Haw for FB).

Reaction Score
This is good news. The Big East took lemons and made something as close to lemonaid as they could:

1. They did not lose the markets and basketball ability of the Catholics by rushing off separately;

2. They did not go after new schools based at all upon basketball (see, e.g., Temple, Memphis and UMass) but rebuilt the football conference the best they could and let the basketball conference fall where it may, knowing that the Big East in basketball would still be a "major" conference; and

3. They did this paying attention to both markets (UCF, SMU and Houston) and national prestige (Navy and AFA), instead of geography (ECU, Marshall, UMass and Temple).

This is not the leagie I would prefer to be in at hte moment, but for an entity that was dead in the water it's a great recovery in five weeks. If they get a good contract, I could see adding western basketball onlies (Gonzaga? Witchita State?) and all sports (San Diego State?) and one day having two relatively separate eastern and western leagues that only came together for playoffs.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
So when are we installing our National Flag Blue turf?

Good news BTW...

Reaction Score
BYU makes an awful lot of sense if you look at the SAlt Lake Tribune article linked by the Boise beat writer. But, having said that, BYU is the flagship university not for a state but for a religion, and I have no clue how their non-athletic goals factor into the decision.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I think now that Pitt and Cuse are out of the BE I think it will allow teams like St Johns and Georgetown to rise and be at the top of the conference.

Basketball will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I think now that Pitt and Cuse are out of the BE I think it will allow teams like St Johns and Georgetown to rise and be at the top of the conference.

Basketball will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that is a point that not many have made yet. The basketball league became so unbelievably tought the last two or three years, culminating in this year, that a Top 40 or Top 50 team was having the crap kicked out of it in conference. Get a few more wins on the schedule, like in the SEC, Pac Ten and Big XII, and it becomes easier for those who haven't been winning in the Big East to become good much quicker.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/bois...sts-proposed-new-western-division-attractive/

Says the Big East is in talks with 2 more western schools in addition to SMU, Houston, and Air Force. We probably should assume that one is BYU but I wonder who the other is. Could be Memphis since they've been mentioned but a football school probably wouldn't find them that attractive. I think it's Nevada because it would be a good state to expand to but San Diego State recently announced publicly that they want to join so who knows.

Memphis has the Mississippi on the left hand side, how is it west exactly? Nevada would be the smarter choice. Looks like the possible conference I've mentioned the last couple of days may not be that far off.

Reaction Score
This is not the leagie I would prefer to be in at hte moment, but for an entity that was dead in the water it's a great recovery in five weeks. If they get a good contract, I could see adding western basketball onlies (Gonzaga? Witchita State?) and all sports (San Diego State?) and one day having two relatively separate eastern and western leagues that only came together for playoffs.

If they want it to have any chance to actually endure this is the outcome that they need to be aiming for. Basically a national conference made up of two fairly autonomous western and eastern divisions.

Reaction Score
So if the Western division plays each other do they make any trips East and if they do how many and how often?

Reaction Score
Memphis has the Mississippi on the left hand side, how is it west exactly? Nevada would be the smarter choice. Looks like the possible conference I've mentioned the last couple of days may not be that far off.

It's not really. Just like Louisville is not really. I would like for them to find some way to keep Louisville in the east personally.

Reaction Score
Wow, the last 14 hours have been better for me than at any time this year. I really like the teams that will be joining, if they all agree, as I like to travel to the away games and they all look like cities I would love to go to several times. Plus, my power finally came back on at 3:23 AM. All the bad news we as fans have had to go through for quite a while, finally we get some positive news. Maybe now we can enjoy some UConn football, starting with a win over Syracuse Saturday.

Reaction Score

could be the right hand side, depends on which way you are facing.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I like it. I still don't necessarily want to be in this mangled conference but we have to do whatever we can to keep the Big East relevant in football, even if it's just until UConn can find a spot in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I really don't think Memphis is part of the discussion. Not a highly regarded institution. Let the ACC have them.

Reaction Score
I like it. I still don't necessarily want to be in this mangled conference but we have to do whatever we can to keep the Big East relevant in football, even if it's just until UConn can find a spot in the ACC.
This. I can handle this...for now, but ultimately, I still wanna go to the ACC.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Marionette likes to visit Los Wages, Nevada.

UNLV-East should meet UNLV-West sometime in basketball. Maybe give Tark the keys to the city when UConn is in town....

What? Not funny?

Reaction Score
I would definitely be down for BYU and Nevada. Fingers crossed - but like most of you, I would ultimately like to see us in the ACC.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Reno would be cool. Huskies will travel to Nevada. Getting in and out is easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member