Bodyguard for Paige | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bodyguard for Paige

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree in general but I think you need to review the play in last seasons game against Arizona, specifically the play where Bueckers, standing in the paint on defense had a Ariz. player run at her, shove her back 3 feet onto her ass with both arms and then turned, took a pass and scored an easy layup. Tell me that 3 of the best refs in the country all missed that.
With all due respect, no I don’t. To attempt to justify retaliation or dead ball reaction by citing an isolated play from last year just does not move the needle one iota for me even if it did happen the way you saw it.
What I will concede is that unless Bueckers was completely isolated under the basket by herself, if it happened as you describe, then a Uconn player should not have allowed the player to score “an easy layup“ but rather make sure to put her on the line. But that is in the context of the game; unfortunately within the context of the game Uconn did not respond to Arizona’s physical intensity until it was too late.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but I'm not signing on to this sort of message. More than one or two "tough" messages have appeared lately, charging other teams/players with deliberate and dangerous violence. I've noticed some physical play on occasion, but rarely has it spilled over into intentional mugging. Example: Dorka's bloody lip did not look like the result of an intentional attack to me, even after I looked at numerous slo-mo reviews of the play. I think it's a mistake to plan for retaliation beforehand. If it's a real problem, let Geno handle it, not recommendations from a bunch of riled up fans.
read the rule, intent is not a prerequisite for an unsportsmanlike foul to be called. Excessive contact above the shoulders is an unsportsmanlike foul ....PERIOD

Reaction Score
With all due respect, no I don’t. To attempt to justify retaliation or dead ball reaction by citing an isolated play from last year just does not move the needle one iota for me even if it did happen the way you saw it.
What I will concede is that unless Bueckers was completely isolated under the basket by herself, if it happened as you describe, then a Uconn player should not have allowed the player to score “an easy layup“ but rather make sure to put her on the line. But that is in the context of the game; unfortunately within the context of the game Uconn did not respond to Arizona’s physical intensity until it was too late.
You're right, and it's the main reason UConn couldn't run their offense when AZ. bumped and pushed Bueckers out of the flow. And SC did the same thing to them this year when they ratcheted up their defense in the 2nd half. To gum up a finesse offense like UConn's, you body them because they don't play well through contact. The officials shouldn't allow excessive contact but if they do, you have to match it and go to the rim and draw some fouls. Not back away and play on the perimeter.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I'm not signing on to this sort of message. More than one or two "tough" messages have appeared lately, charging other teams/players with deliberate and dangerous violence. I've noticed some physical play on occasion, but rarely has it spilled over into intentional mugging. Example: Dorka's bloody lip did not look like the result of an intentional attack to me, even after I looked at numerous slo-mo reviews of the play. I think it's a mistake to plan for retaliation beforehand. If it's a real problem, let Geno handle it, not recommendations from a bunch of riled up fans.
Shocked Surprised GIF

Reaction Score
With the great news of the return of Paige, we all know that her PT will be limited until she gets in game shape, as well as how she herself feels after playing. In the last few games, Caroline has been smacked in the face twice, Liv has been smacked in the face, and Dorka has received the same treatment. We play by the rules, we are not dirty, and we never aggressively go after another player. Now that Paige is back, and we don't know how back she really is, we cannot afford to have somebodys goon display the same treatment towards her. I'm certainly not looking to start anything, but I would think that if any player does something to her, that one of our bigger players (or Nika) would at least get in that players face and let them know that we will not tolerate any bad treatment to Paige, or anyone else for that matter. Teams are trying to push us around by their aggressive play, and now that we are able to potentially play our best basketball of the year, we will not take it anymore. So, I think that they should have a strategy if that happens, just to warn them that we will not take it.
Can we drop the entire Holy-er-than-thou nonsense? I mean calling other teams players “goons”. Insinuating that other teams are intentionally dirty when they play us. That’s just too far. It’s basketball, it’s a physical sport and your calling a college kid a “goon” because of it. Our posts throw elbows, our kids hit people accidentally when trying to make plays. It happens, get over it and quit with the Disparaging remarks towards other players.

Reaction Score
You're right, and it's the main reason UConn couldn't run their offense when AZ. bumped and pushed Bueckers out of the flow. And SC did the same thing to them this year when they ratcheted up their defense in the 2nd half. To gum up a finesse offense like UConn's, you body them because they don't play well through contact. The officials shouldn't allow excessive contact but if they do, you have to match it and go to the rim and draw some fouls. Not back away and play on the perimeter.
Good point and to take it one step further, IMO, one of the reasons Uconn misses so many chippies and also don’t get to the line is not the refs but because by and large they try to avoid contact going to the basket rather than initiate and power through it.

Reaction Score
Good point and to take it one step further, IMO, one of the reasons Uconn misses so many chippies and also don’t get to the line is not the refs but because by and large they try to avoid contact going to the basket rather than initiate and power through it.
Exactly. To me, a good example is how they play SC and Boston. They bring ONO out high where Boston lets her stand with the ball while she clogs the lane and the cutters along with Saxton. The toughest place for a big to defend is right up in her chest, which is where UConn's offense avoids going. ONO commits a lot of her fouls reaching in and hacking down when the offensive kid gets into her. I'd pound it inside on Boston and force the contact. If ONO or Juhasz would just catch and go up in her face, for every block they'd draw a foul or two. Same with the wings and guards. Drive the lane on the small guards and force contact or collapse the D and kick to the 3 point shooters. Match the physical game, don't avoid it.

Reaction Score
I guess you haven’t watched closely enough, sorry. I don‘T have the time to find the more than several karate chops which were meant to intimidate our players on breakaways, andkayups. Alike was caught only once of the several low bridges which are most dangerous, shoves in the back, arm swinging. Players know when it’s on purpose and when it’s not

Reaction Score
A la Shea running across the floor to get in the face of a player who shoved Sveta from behind on a breakaway layup. An intentional foul was called on the player. Shea gave a shove after the whistle and said “don’t do that ‘stuff’!” except a different word. Message sent and received :)

Reaction Score
Sorry, IMO, this is utter nonsense on so many levels. I have not seen any evidence of “goon“ tactics in any way shape or form by any Uconn opponent never mind your inference that it was ok to be tolerated for “lesser” players up to now but worthy of a decided reaction if it happens to Bueckers is just wrong.
Perhaps not in the BE but let’s not forget about UCF..

Reaction Score
Or I could say that the officials made an agreement (or were briefed by their superiors) to allow more physicality and the fact that it benefited one team more never crossed their minds.:rolleyes:

UConn has played and won many physical games and Arizona played well that night and deserved to win. UConn's injured pg was a bigger factor than the refs. But that doesn't change how the game was officiated. And the play was used because there can be no doubt that it was seen and ignored. Most bad calls fall in a grey area. This was a no-doubter.
On the play in question Bueckers was halfway between the basket and foul line and in the center of the paint. There were couple of players down low but no one within 5 feet of her when she established position in front of the Ariz player. The player ran right at Bueckers who was standing still and using both arms like she was throwing a chest pass she shoved Bueckers back about 6 feet, knocking her on her ass and then, unguarded, took a pass and scored a layup. Again, there was no one else near either player and it happened in the middle of the paint. To suggest that 3 refs didn't see it is ridiculous. It's obvious that the officials had intentionally ignored it. The only question is why and there seems to be a difference of opinion on that.

getting back to the topic

Bueckers needs no bodyguard. UConn doesn't back down. I remember watching Kelly Caine body slam a small player in a rebound battle and then stand over her screaming at her. Pat was incensed that T was called. Tenn made physical intimidation part of their identity. Not dirty play, but plenty of hips and swinging arms. When I want to be sarcastic I call that style "chuck & scrum". Try to feed the big players inside and if that doesn't work then someone tries to hit the rim with a shot so the bigs can scrum for it until it goes in. Good examples are SCar's final shots in regulation against UConn and Stanford last year.
We obviously watched different games. The refs had nothing to do with the outcome, Uconn‘s lack of respect for Arizona and the FF moment and their subsequent less than intense approach to the game was the reason they lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom